Fight Song / School Song

Sound_Man

Some of the stuff we do here at this school is idiotic.

And yeah, I would say it in front of my mom. Especially considering my Dad joined in and did last year versus Indiana.

But good job at being disappointing, GB.

You're all reading too far into the student section adding "MF-ing" and it's mildly ridiculous.

Edited by meangreener
  • Downvote 4

And I wish people would stop blaming it on the GB though. A lot of the mombers said they wish it hadn't gotten shorten. One guy in Honors was saying that about a week ago, the director told them that they were revising the fight song, and following it with one of the cheers. The members had nothing to do with it, and they were pretty much just told that that's how they were going to play it for this year.

Good grief. The fact that this conversation even has to occur proves that we are still dealing with 'young adults' that are trying to test their boundaries to learn the difference between right and wrong.

The school fight song is no place for something like this. It is inappropriate. Period. Grow up.

C'MON MAN!

There are many, many, schools that the students take liberty with or add lyrics to their fight songs. For example many UCLA students add "F#@k SC at the end of their fight song no matter who they are playing.

UNC students chant "Go To Hell State" at the end of theirs- Neither are official lyrics but the kids do it. Is it offensive? Perhaps to some. Do the kids enjoy it? Clearly.

Will the kids that enjoy it and have fond memories of it, grow up to be alums that don't do it but remember it fondly, and also be alums that go on to buy season tickets, support the University etc.? Who knows for sure but having fun while they're here doesn't hurt the chances.

Will the amount of people offended by such terrible language stop supporting the program, stop buying season tickets etc outnumber the kids who graduate and then support it? Doubtful.

Personally, at times it bothers me. However, considering how down we've been historically, I love the fact that the students have a little swagger about them during the fight song. In the very recent past people hung their head when they told someone else they attended or had attended UNT. That's changing and believe it or not something as vile as "mother f#@cking eagles" chanted during our fight song builds that pride.

Final words. Please read my sig.

• Upvote 1

Most of the students that show up never watch college football outside of NT, so it's not surprising that the "mother f'ing eagles" ever got thrown in there. Cheering when on offense, chanting, booing during the other team's alma mater. I don't know if it's a lack of traditions that don't keep the students involved, or if we all just really don't care, but there's certainly more issues with NT football than the cursing and lack of wins.

• Upvote 1

Yeah, when the student section completely ignores the fight song the GB will realize how idiotic getting rid of it is.

You are probably that student that thinks it is cool to add MF Eagles to our fight song when it is nothing but immature and classless. Saw the Facebook discussion and just can't understand how even a twenty year old, in age only, finds this as a positive reflection on their school.

Some of the stuff we do here at this school is idiotic.

And yeah, I would say it in front of my mom. Especially considering my Dad joined in and did last year versus Indiana.

But good job at being disappointing, GB.

You're all reading too far into the student section adding "MF-ing" and it's mildly ridiculous.

This tells me more than I need to know. The apple didn't fall far from the tree.

• Upvote 3

This tells me more than I need to know. The apple didn't fall far from the tree.

It's cool, your intelligence level and quick to judge tendencies on your part speak volumes about you. Nice job being one of the few keeping UNT small time. The small time mentality here is hilarious. All y'all do is alienate the students and create tension. NT is a far different beast than when you went here, and all your whining and complaining shows that you are out of touch with your school. It happens to administration in businesses all the time, so no surprise.

Every other school adds some sort of chant like that to their song, why are we so special that it's not allowed? Small time mentality. I always thought that UNT was different than the DFW mentality, and it is, among the students and younger alumni. This place? Not so much. A bunch of out of touch old timers clinging on to the minor success of the 70s unable to see a bright future. Stop being small time.

Edited by meangreener
  • Upvote 2
  • Downvote 7

It's cool, your intelligence level and quick to judge tendencies on your part speak volumes about you. Nice job being one of the few keeping UNT small time. The small time mentality here is hilarious. All y'all do is alienate the students and create tension. NT is a far different beast than when you went here, and all your whining and complaining shows that you are out of touch with your school. It happens to administration in businesses all the time, so no surprise.

Every other school adds some sort of chant like that to their song, why are we so special that it's not allowed? Small time mentality. I always thought that UNT was different than the DFW mentality, and it is, among the students and younger alumni. This place? Not so much. A bunch of out of touch old timers clinging on to the minor success of the 70s unable to see a bright future. Stop being small time.

um doing something because everyone else is doing it is the epitome of the DFW mentality......a bunch of juvenile herd mentality douchbag losers doing something because everyone else does it and then pretending it is a "tradition"

this and stormchaser talking about how younger students eat up bridges and stadiums even if the product on the field is terrible says all anyone needs to know about the younger generation.....all flash and trash and nothing of actual substance.....followers chasing the next trendy thing and then discarding it in a heart beat when the next pile of crap is tossed in front of them

• Upvote 1

um doing something because everyone else is doing it is the epitome of the DFW mentality......a bunch of juvenile herd mentality douchbag losers doing something because everyone else does it and then pretending it is a "tradition"

this and stormchaser talking about how younger students eat up bridges and stadiums even if the product on the field is terrible says all anyone needs to know about the younger generation.....all flash and trash and nothing of actual substance.....followers chasing the next trendy thing and then discarding it in a heart beat when the next pile of crap is tossed in front of them

So supporting your school is crap? Makes sense.

Anyway, I'm officially done here for a while, til someone obsessively name drops e, 60 year olds acting like 10 year olds. Go on about SMU, pageantry and the fight song.

Edited by meangreener

Dylan? Is that you? I thought you told the Musers that you weren't going to go to college?

• Upvote 1

My intelligence level? How did you arrive there based upon my opinion that adding a derogatory term to our fight song was classless and immature? How is that being small time?

I am all for having a good time, involving the students, etc... but adding MF to our fight song isn't the way to get there. Hopefully, in a year or two or five, you will come to this realization. Then again, considering you Dad jumped right in tells me all I need to know. Let me guess, he also hosted alcohol parties for you and your buddies in high school.

• Upvote 1

Here I am to to the GB's rescue, as usual!

There are three songs in the GB's book that are sacred: The National Anthem, Glory to the Green, and The Fight Song. You aren't allowed to change the lyrics or ad lib. when playing these pieces. I've seen people get kicked out for taking "musical liberty" with these pieces. We're taught from Day 1 to take these pieces seriously and to treat them with respect.

I've seen the band director kick out people of the basketball pep band for forever after saying the MF-ing Eagles. It doesn't seem like a logical thing to add into the fight song. What purpose does it serve? The other "additions" to fight songs usually have to do with a long storied rivalry...

I also know for a fact that this was a collaborative effort between the Athletic Department and the Green Brigade to take out the drum break from the fight song. The ESPN2 game was not the only reason for this, it was just the last straw. There has been a long dialogue between both important people with Athletics and the Green Brigade to reach this decision.

• Upvote 4

My intelligence level? How did you arrive there based upon my opinion that adding a derogatory term to our fight song was classless and immature? How is that being small time?

I am all for having a good time, involving the students, etc... but adding MF to our fight song isn't the way to get there. Hopefully, in a year or two or five, you will come to this realization. Then again, considering you Dad jumped right in tells me all I need to know. Let me guess, he also hosted alcohol parties for you and your buddies in high school.

Because only a judgmental tool would judge someone for adding MF'ing to the fight song, that's how. You do realize during college you've got a lot of kids partying, drinking and finding themselves, right?

Obviously not.

• Downvote 6

If you think the man is trying to keep you down now, you are in store for a real treat when you graduate.

Just try to have a little class. MF'ing Eagles is not tradition. If you're entire college experience is going to be ruined because you can't say MF'er during the fight song, you have bigger problems. Actual words? Ok. Something less vulgar like give 'em hell Eagles? Maybe. MF'ing Eagles? No. And I don't have to be 60 to know acceptable from unacceptable.

It seems like the grown ups have stepped in and taken care of the issue. Problem solved.

Well said.

• Upvote 2

If you think the man is trying to keep you down now, you are in store for a real treat when you graduate.

Just try to have a little class. MF'ing Eagles is not tradition. If you're entire college experience is going to be ruined because you can't say MF'er during the fight song, you have bigger problems. Actual words? Ok. Something less vulgar like give 'em hell Eagles? Maybe. MF'ing Eagles? No. And I don't have to be 60 to know acceptable from unacceptable.

It seems like the grown ups have stepped in and taken care of the issue. Problem solved.

I noticed that we didn't do the drum break at the ASU game... I cannot believe this is the reason why. So sad, but admittedly, so necessary.

If you are a student reading this and you partake in the "addition" to the fight song, please stop. It makes us sound like our student body is full of technical college students, not well-educated students like I know all of you are.

• Upvote 2

Because only a judgmental tool would judge someone for adding MF'ing to the fight song, that's how. You do realize during college you've got a lot of kids partying, drinking and finding themselves, right?

Obviously not.

I would add something, but "CurveItAround" said it much better than I would. I'm a lot younger than you probably think, but even at your age I was taught how to conduct myself in public and how to represent entities, including North Texas, that I was involved with at that time. This is a lesson you would be wise to learn, but something tells me you won't.

• Upvote 1

I would add something, but "CurveItAround" said it much better than I would. I'm a lot younger than you probably think, but even at your age I was taught how to conduct myself in public and how to represent entities, including North Texas, that I was involved with at that time. This is a lesson you would be wise to learn, but something tells me you won't.

I see you grew up as just another one of those sheltered DFW kids.

• Downvote 4

Obviously not.

College isn't just a time to try all the things you were never allowed to do. It's also a great time to figure out that just because you can do something it doesn't mean you should.

Whoa. That's some pretty heavy stuff dude.

• Upvote 1