7,4,5,4,0,9..........?

The minutes Adam McCoy recieved during 6 of our 11 losses this season. In 3 others he got between 14 and 12 minutes, and recorded 20 in the latest loss against UALR. I'm not sure why he didn't play against UNO back in December...injury? But you have to wonder what could have been if our hottest player was getting more than 4 minutes in games we had no excuse losing in like UTA?

Another interesting question I have is how many of those losses were we leading in, late, only to lose afterwards?

My point to all of this is that I have seen a trend in us losing the winnable games and this year is no different and I can't help but wonder what a little bit more spark(McCoy) in these games over the years could have done for us? In the past, and possibly this year also, if we don't qualify for the Big Dance, another 4 or 5 wins would have us in contention every year to possibly qualify for an NIT bid?

Rick

There is no doubt that McCoy has been leading the way recently and good things seem to happen when he is on the floor. I do wonder why he was not on the floor more earlier in season...perhaps he had an injury or simply was not executing in practice or something. Don't know, but I do know he is playing extremely well at just the right time. Fun to watch him play! I hope he lights up the nnets on Wednesday at the Super Pit!

GO MEAN GREEN!

It's something to think about, but impossible to say. We really don't know what goes on in practice, but obviously McCoy didn't get on JJ's good side. And this was after his strong finish to last season, so he knew the talent was there. Maybe as JJ indicated in interviews, McCoy wasn't putting forth the defensive effort. Maybe he felt like McCoy was sloppy with the ball(I can remember him being benched immediately after committing turnovers in acouple of games, never to retun).

And then sometimes players just "get it" all of the sudden.

I'm just glad that McCoy is playing the way he's playing at the moment. I'm past rethinking about some of our early setbacks for now.

Edited by CMJ

The minutes Adam McCoy recieved during 6 of our 11 losses this season. In 3 others he got between 14 and 12 minutes, and recorded 20 in the latest loss against UALR. I'm not sure why he didn't play against UNO back in December...injury? But you have to wonder what could have been if our hottest player was getting more than 4 minutes in games we had no excuse losing in like UTA?

Another interesting question I have is how many of those losses were we leading in, late, only to lose afterwards?

My point to all of this is that I have seen a trend in us losing the winnable games and this year is no different and I can't help but wonder what a little bit more spark(McCoy) in these games over the years could have done for us? In the past, and possibly this year also, if we don't qualify for the Big Dance, another 4 or 5 wins would have us in contention every year to possibly qualify for an NIT bid?

Rick

There have been those (ahem) who have been clamerring for more Adam this season. Much more Adam. His commitment to defense and his practice habits have been kinda given as the reason for sketchy minutes...I guess(?)...but you don't typically start a player (Adam started a couple games at the beginning of the season) if his practice habits are sketchy.

Adam's minutes in our 11 loses: 12, 9, 0, 4, 5, 14, 4, 20, 12, 7, 20 - 9.7mpg. He still managed to put up 62 points...or 5.6ppg...or 23.1 points/40mins.

I think the at large or NIT bids still would've been a stretch...our 3 marquee games (OSU, UA, UH) we were never really in contention...and I don't believe Adam would've made a significant difference. He might have changed the Western game...and certainly UTA and UNO, but those don't do much for our RPI, maybe just a bump up in conference seeding.

The only rotation player on the team with less minutes is POWERTON. Throw in Collin's "disappearance" and all around inconsistent play and it's hard to imagine what Adam must have been doing in practice to cement himself in the doghouse....... Jello-Shots?

The only rotation player on the team with less minutes is POWERTON. Throw in Collin's "disappearance" and all around inconsistent play and it's hard to imagine what Adam must have been doing in practice to cement himself in the doghouse....... Jello-Shots?

No...I think that was Collin, too.

Rick

McCoy has improved dramatically, and now may be our best offensive player, but before the last run he was not playing well. Always our best 3-pt shooter, for the first half of the season he was our worst shooter inside the arc (both statements based on the shooting %s at the time), was ineffective in penetrating and making plays, and shoot very few foul shots, fewest on the squad per minute played. The frustration and exasperation on JJs face when he took McCoy out after just a few minutes of playing time was dramatic, as McCoy was far from our hottest player in Dec and Jan and was not providing a spark off the bench. It is a tribute to McCoy that he stayed with it and brought his game around and a tribute to JJ that he stayed with him. I have not always understood how JJ manages his players, but in this case, give credit to both.

As to losing games we should have won, we have done that for years and to my eyes it has to do with defense and to a less than desirable intensity level. The level of intensity in the last six games has been amazing.