Some Softball Questions

oldguystudent

Watching my very first softball game on Sunday, I noticed some differences that I couldn't figure out.

1) I tried looking up the rule on the designated player, but it just further confused me. Can someone explain to me in simplistic terms how this works?

2) It seemed like a given on both teams to bunt with a runner on first, but not with a runner on third. Is this by rule or strategy?

3) Many of the players, rather than planting the back foot and stepping into the swing, took a run at the ball. Many times, even when they checked their swing, they ended up a good six feet out of the batter's box. Why do they swing like this? Is there no rule that a batter has to remain in the box?

4) What's considered a great speed for a fastball?

5) What are the pitch variations? I clearly saw fastballs and change-ups with other pitches having nasty spin, but no discernable curve.

6) Is there no rhyme nor reason as to what the various coaches wear?

7) This may be related to #6 since I can't tell who's who on the coaching staff, but is there no limit to mound visits?

• 3 weeks later...
Guest GrayEagleOne

I've been taking a sabbatical but I read posts from time to time and ran across yours. Since noone has answered, here's my two cents.

1} The only designated player that I'm aware of is the 'designated hitter'. She bats at her assigned place in the batting order but does not take the field defensively. The DH is used to give more offensive punch in lieu of a weaker hitter or to rest the pitcher. In either case the defensive player does not bat.

2) By strategy. The bunt is to advance the runner to scoring position (second base). Since a runner must stay tagged and the play would be at the plate, it's considered too risky in softball to try the squeeze play.

3) Yes, same as in baseball, the hitter must be in the box when making contact with the ball. I think that the main reason for advancing is that a softball pitch rises much faster than a baseball pitch. There are pitchers good enough to throw the ball in the strike zone as it reaches the plate and then the pitch is high to the player sitting back. Also moving forward gives them momentum toward first when contact is made.

4) Pretty close to the same speed as baseball. Some male pitchers can throw over 100 mph (but remember the pitching distance is about 12 feet closer). Just a guess but I'd think that the better female college pitchers thrown in the 80s.

5) You can throw every pitch that you can throw with a baseball plus. You can throw a viscious curve with a softball. You can also throw a slider but it's not seen very often. I said plus because throwing underhand allows a ball to rise much sharper than an overhand throw. Also, the drop can be very pronounced, almost like rolling a ball off of a table.

6) Uniform rules are a little loose but they do exist.

7) I'll have to research as to whom #6 is, but only coaches are restricted in their number of visits, and that's by league rules. In any case, it's up to the umpire to enforce; which they will do to keep the game moving even if there is no established rule as to number of visits.

Edited by GrayEagleOne

Guest GrayEagleOne

I've yet to run across anyone that could throw a baseball pitch, overhand, and make the ball rise.

The only times that I can recall that happening came from a 'sidearm' pitcher.

I've been taking a sabbatical but I read posts from time to time and ran across yours. Since noone has answered, here's my two cents.

4) Pretty close to the same speed as baseball. Some male pitchers can throw over 100 mph (but remember the pitching distance is about 12 feet closer). Just a guess but I'd think that the better female college pitchers thrown in the 80s.

I haven't seen any pitchers clocked in the 80s yet. Top D-1 pitchers throw in the mid to upper 60s in general. Maybe 70-72 tops. But that said, it is equivilent to a 90-100 MPH baseball pitch due to the closer distance to home plate (43 feet vs 60.5 feet).

Shof

BTW - how is the UNT softball team doing so far this season? Should be starting conference play this weekend if not already started. Cajuns (my team) open with WKU in Lafayette this weekend. Don't think we are quite as strong as last year. Several solid hitters gone; but pitching still a strength.

I haven't seen any pitchers clocked in the 80s yet. Top D-1 pitchers throw in the mid to upper 60s in general. Maybe 70-72 tops. But that said, it is equivilent to a 90-100 MPH baseball pitch due to the closer distance to home plate (43 feet vs 60.5 feet).

Shof

BTW - how is the UNT softball team doing so far this season? Should be starting conference play this weekend if not already started. Cajuns (my team) open with WKU in Lafayette this weekend. Don't think we are quite as strong as last year. Several solid hitters gone; but pitching still a strength.

14-10 not including last night's game.