Troy Game

untgeorge

To quote CBL:

"Troy really worries me. They play four athletic guards/wings around a seven footer who cleans up misses and defends the paint well (Tom Jervis - 9pts, 11rbds, 4offrbds, 5blks vs. UALR)...and while these guards do take a lot of threes (8-22 vs. UALR)...they also attack the bucket and get to the line (22 FTA)."

You got that right. The other thing that worries me is that Troy is on a roll, winning 4 in a row, 3 of which were on the road. And they won a defensive battle at UALR. Winning a defensive battle is way out of character for Troy.

Statistically Troy and UNT look a lot alike. We are 1-2 in the conference in scoring offense, and 12-13 in scoring defense. Most other stats are similar, Troy having a slight edge in shooting % and UNT having a slight edge in shooting % defense.

The big stat difference is, as always with Troy, the number of 3s attempted. Their 543 attempts is most in the conf by a wide margin, 180 more than UNT, 7 or 8 shots a game more than UNTs. This is a long standing strategy of Troy coach Don Maestri, whose teams have NCAA records of 3s made in games. The fact that their perimeter players are attacking the goal this year is a change.

As a result of this weekend's upsets, we are one game back of UALR in our division and in contention for the 3rd conf tournament bye spot. This promises to be an entertaining game and UNT could use good strong fan support. We are 1-6 against teams with a winning record, and we don't need to lose a home game.

this may be on of the best home games of the year, ( wow didnt see myself saying that a month ago) which is saying alot considering the Ark ST and Denver games. becuase of they way these teams match up i look for a nail biter down to the end! Ill be thier leading the pit crew charge!

Let's hope the students turn out for this one, and I am not talking about just the great "regulars" that work very hard at "stiring it up" at most home games. This campus has way too many students to witness such low student turnout numbers. I love the group that comes, but, man, we need more. OK, we could use some more ticket buying community support too. There is no doubt about that, but a great and loud turnout for the Troy game could be VERY helpful. See you there.

UNT will have to play a much "smarter" game this time around. If the team gets "lazy" and makes poor choices, Troy will "eat us up" and it could be a home loss when UNT can least afford it with the "bye" on the line. UNT should be ready to play, and it should be a great home WIN to see in person. BE THERE!

GO MEAN GREEN!

One other note: UNT shots the most free throws of any team in the league, the most by far. About 140 more than Troy, for instance, so far. And UNT has played fewer games than Troy.

This is probably the result of our perimeter people's skills at dribble driving the ball to the bucket. Dennis, White, Dominique, Tristan, are all good at creating or taking advantage of driving opportunities. Tramiel is getting free throw, also, with his work around the goal.

Just a stat sidelight.