"hey, Look What I Did!"

CORNING, NY--Newly sworn-in congressman Eric Massa (D) tried to make a splash earlier this week by trumpeting his trip to the capitol in a hydrogen-powered car:

[T]he 282 mile journey in a GM Electric Fuel Cell Equinox went off without a hitch. Massa took this zero emission, hydrogen powered vehicle [from Corning] to Washington to highlight sustainable energy technology. The vehicle was primarily researched and developed in Honeoye Falls, part of New York's 29th Congressional District.

"I'm here to be the voice of the families of New York's 29th Congressional District and help take this country in a better direction," said Congressman-Elect Eric Massa. "Taking this GM Electric Fuel Cell car to Washington reflects all that I will stand for as your Representative - Creating good jobs in Western New York, breaking our addiction to foreign oil, taking meaningful steps toward addressing global warming, and getting our economy back on the road to success. I look forward to being sworn into office on Tuesday so we can get to work."

There was just one problem, however. According to the Rochester Democrat and Chronicle:

[The] hydrogen fuel cell car .... didn’t actually get him all the way there.

[T]he car can go about 150 to 200 miles without a refill, and the trip from Corning to Washington, D.C. is 282 miles. And there are no hydrogen refilling stations along the way.

As a result, Massa had to switch to another GM hydrogen fuel cell vehicle that was standing by in Harrisburg.

After the trip, both cars were towed back to their original locations by two Chevrolet Tahoe hybrid SUVs.

According to the New York Times, the Tahoe model used to tow the two cars "gets about 20 miles a gallon on the highway. Towing another S.U.V. lowers that gas mileage."

When contacted by the Times, Massa and GM spokeswoman Carolyn Markey both claimed that the use of the Tahoe "was all part of the plan."

However, according to Massa's press release, he took the trip "to highlight sustainable energy technology."