Here Is A Question For You Armchair Dc's-

Charlie NT 73

I want to know the nuts and bolts of the zone read offense that UL-LaLa

operates. What makes this offense work, and what are the key's to

stoping Fenroy and Desormeaux?

I wonder how Gary Deloach will attack UL-LaLa's offense?

Any thoughts on the defensve game plan?

The zone option creates gaps in the DL with zone blocking, which allows cutbacks and the ability of the back to find a hole. Undisciplined or over-aggressive DE play will spring the QB for a bunch of yards, as will over pursuit from a too-aggressive defense. Play action off the zone read can open up intermediate and long routes downfield. Linebackers have to fill effectively to the backside gaps, and DE's have to stay at home/take the QB on the play to force it back inside. Cornerbacks have to shed blockers in order to make tackles on the outside because this offense depends on decent blocking at the corner.

Here's a coach's take on stopping the spread:

"When you game-plan for the spread offense, you have to stop the run first. The teams we played were fifty-fifty with their pass-to-run ratio on first and ten and second and long. Just because they align in the spread offense doesn’t mean they are going to throw the ball. They are still running teams fifty percent of the time.

That can create some problems. When you gang up at the line of scrimmage to stop the run, you give away things in the passing game. I would rather have a high school quarterback trying to throw the ball and some receiver trying to catch it, than to allow them to run the ball on us. I’m going to stop the run first.

If you don’t stop the run it is demoralizing to your team. If you can’t stop the run, the offense can toy with you. Convince your kids that you are going to stop the run, and they will look at the pass in a different light. If your defense can’t stop the run, they are always in a state of confusion. We only lost one game this year. The reason we lost was because we couldn’t stop the run. When you commit to stopping the run you give up some things. It creates a confidence problem in your secondary. You are vulnerable to the quick strike and big play. If you’ve got a lead, the offense can catch up pretty quick.

To defend the run against spread teams, you have to run defenses that are designed for that. For us, it is our straight and angle defense. You also need defenses to attack the run. That is our stunting game and our crashes with our linebackers and defensive ends.

You have to figure out a way to pressure the offense. The first thing you have to consider is the type of protections they use. We have to know what type of protections and how many blockers they have. If they are using a back as part of their protection, we want to know where he is at all times. If they are slide protecting, they are sliding away from the back. We want to bring two to the back’s side. That means the back has to take one of the defenders and the quarterback has to throw hot on the second defender.

When I started coaching, I didn’t spend much time studying the other team's protection. That’s a mistake. You need to know those things. You can find this out in the off-season.

In your blitz package, you have to do four things. You need to be able to bring four defenders from the weak side. You have to bring two defenders outside the edge of the protectors. You need to be able to bring the second blitz man up the middle and have at least one major blitz. If you are getting hammered and can’t stop a team, your team has to know you can go to one major blitz that will shut them down. Don’t ever let your kids think that you as a coach are just going to sit back and take it. They know that we have something in the package where we are going to go after them and stop what they are doing."

I want to know the nuts and bolts of the zone read offense that UL-LaLa

operates. What makes this offense work, and what are the key's to

stoping Fenroy and Desormeaux?

I wonder how Gary Deloach will attack UL-LaLa's offense?

Any thoughts on the defensve game plan?

Your D-Ends have to play very well. The read option is simply the QB reading the backside D-End. If the end goes inside on the handoff action, the QB pulls it and runs to where that DE used to be. If the DE comes upfield or at the QB, the QB gives the ball to the RB and off he goes. Angles of pursuit are important and leverage is important. Coach DeLoach will also have to guess right with blitzes and stunts in terms of weakside/strongside and down & distance. I would think you use an extra defender and commit him to the box and make Desormeaux (sp) beat you with his arm.

Snipers?

eeeeek...

/pulls collar away from neck

I tend to agree with everyone who said the D-line. You have to disrupt the timing of the play, get penetration (hehe). Now knowing how to stop it and being able to do it are 2 completely different things. I would definitely sell out to stop the run though.

given the performance to date, I think you put 10 in the box with another 7 or 8 in the secondary. Might be able to hold them to 3-4 yards per carry that way.

I wish that I were joking, but based on the way we have looked thus far I honestly don't think that 17 or 18 would get the job done. We've looked outmanned on the field at least two to one in many games this season. Maybe we can rekindle the Navy game offense and at least come close to outscoring them, but that's one BIG maybe.

LBers have to be quick to react regardless of the D called. If the end crashes he's going to keep it, if he plays the Qb it's going to be a handoff. In the end, you really want the RB to get the ball to force the play towards the flow of the defense. The QB is the most dangerous in the zone read play, IMO. If he's a helluva an athlete, this play can be deadly.

I wish that I were joking, but based on the way we have looked thus far I honestly don't think that 17 or 18 would get the job done. We've looked outmanned on the field at least two to one in many games this season. Maybe we can rekindle the Navy game offense and at least come close to outscoring them, but that's one BIG maybe.

If we could get the offense to stop turning the ball over so much, that would definately help. Wonder how early people will start leaving this week?