Unt Has The Nucleus Of A Future Sun Belt Champion

MeanGreenZen

As Mean Green fans endure the water torture that is this season, let us look at our team with an eye towards what it can become in the next few seasons (assuming Todd Dodge can make a few significant adjustments to his game day strategy, coaching staff and team attitude).

Offensively, our quarterback is set with either Giovanni Vizza or Riley Dodge. Competition will determine who wins the job, but I am confident either one can be a record-setting quarterback for North Texas.

We seem to be in good shape at running back with Micah Mosley, Cam Montgomery and Lance Dunbar all averaging 4.7 yards a carry or better. Although I don’t think any of these guys are in the same class as a Patrick Cobbs or a freshman Jamrario Thomas, we can win with this trio.

Receiver has actually become a position of concern for next season with the graduation of Casey Fitzgerald and so many other unexpected defections.

We really need a playmaker or two here, but I hope Dodge doesn’t go overboard trying to fill this hole (we all know Dodge has yet to meet a high school receiver he hasn’t offered a scholarship to.) Surely there is a receiver already on the roster who will step up when given an opportunity (a la Fitzgerald last season).

The offensive line has the potential to be the strength of the team in the next few seasons. Kelvin Drake (hopefully fresh off a redshirt) and J.J. Johnson possess all-conference skills, although one will have to switch positions to get them both on the field at the same time. North Texas is also loaded with several other players on the offensive line who have significant starting experience.

Defensively, barring an unexpected breakthrough, the defensive line, goes into next season as the biggest hole on the roster. Calling the defensive line a “hole on the roster” actually does not do it justice. Our defensive line is a black hole that has sucked away our ability to compete on the FBS level. We have maybe one player on our roster with the skills to be in a defensive line rotation in the Sun Belt.

When thinking of the nucleus of our defensive line I am not counting on Eddrick Gilmore. Gilmore is wildly talented, but the road to success is littered with the corpses of wildly talented players who couldn’t make the sacrifices required to reach their potential. Gilmore’s past suggests he will be remembered with such recent Mean Green immortals as Michael Ruff and Chris Moss… guys whose immense physical talent was eclipsed only by their lack of discipline.

The defensive line problem was originated by Darrell Dickey, who was so amazing at recruiting defensive linemen (Brandon Kennedy, Adrian Awasom, Darrell Daniels, Evan Cardwell, Michael Pruitt) that he completely stopped doing it. He left the cupboard empty for Dodge, who somehow forgot to restock it in his first two recruiting classes (No big deal since all those receivers he signed are catching so many touchdown passes we don’t even have to worry about defense.).

Dodge’s ability to find players on the defensive line QUICKLY could mean the difference between him someday being the head coach at the University of Texas or reuniting with his BFF Ron Mendoza in District 7-5A next year.

All three of our starting linebackers will return. Now…maybe it is because of how bad our d-line sucks, but I’ve just never been impressed with our current crop of linebackers. They look strong and fast, but they never seem to make game-changing plays. I don’t see tackles behind the line of scrimmage or forced fumbles. I don’t see the type of leadership we are used to having on defense from our linebackers. This is a position that could use an infusion from the junior college ranks.

Kylie Hill, Darien Williams and Royce Hill are players you can build around in the secondary. Keep in mind that a decent pass rush could make these guys much better. So could an intimidating hitter patrolling the middle of the field. If I were Todd Dodge, I would call every junior college coach I knew and ask them who was the hardest-hitting defensive back they played against all season. Then I would target those players.

Life sucks for Mean Green fans right now, but there are some building blocks in place for a better future.

I wish that I could agree with most of your optimistic post, but I don't think that I can until our coaching staff becomes a D1 coaching staff. From what I've seen so far, they are a LONG way from reaching that goal. They do not seem to have any concept of making adjustments or adapting to the opponent during the heat of the battle. Sadly to say, the only thing that they seem to be teaching this team and its followers is that they need to adapt to losing football games.

Dodge seems to be coaching D1 games as if we are SLC vs Colleyville and that is just not going to work. Without even considering the HORRIBLE defense and special teams play, he just doesn't seem to understand that you cannot telegraph your offense on every play at this level. I think the fact that we piled up nearly 500 yards of total offense against one of the weakest teams in the country, and were BARELY able to score 10 points, attests to the fact that there is a very serious problem with our offensive philosophy. He needs to finally wake up and realize that he is in a different league. If he doesn't do that very soon, he has no business whatsover trying to build and coach a D1 football team IMO.

We are not yet half-way through this season?, so it's a little tough looking ahead two years. It will be at least that before Coach Deloach can fix this mess. Yes, he is a dfensive genius and will eventually get the guys he needs. Until that time we get more games like the first five of this season. I (like Emmitt) left that game at halftime... which is an Alumni sin. As NT Alums, we should stay for the entire beating, watch our post-game fireworks, and just drink the pain away. However, as fans arent we allowed to decide just how much tortue to endure? I admit it... I became a fan after the first half of that game. I dont think I have the positiveness right now to look ahead as some are already doing. I would like to think we have some players who will help us next year, and I do have faith in Gary DeLoach. But, to paraphrase the great Winston Churchill....

"Never have so few, been beat so badly, by so many??? "

GMG!!!

Edited by medpilot21

I don't know whether or not to feel pity for or just be amused by people who continue to sunshine pump Todd Dodge. He doesn't know what he's doing. He doesn't understand how football games are won and lost beyond the high school level. He isn't going to get the job done. We are wasting time and money keeping him here and trying to fool...well, no one really.

Also, Rick Villareal needs to go if he isn't man enough to pull the plug before things get worse. I doubt Bataille has the wherewithall to understand they both need to go, and that is a bad thing for UNT athletics.

We need an athletic director who understands what it takes to compete at this level of football. We need someone who can rally donors to (pardon the pun) pony up money for a real college football coach and coaching staff. We need someone who really does know, not only how to raise money, but to keep the money flowing in on a consistent basis.

We have none of that. I know it's a painful reality for those of you who feel personally connect to Villareal, but you have to look at what happens on the field to the biggest product in the department. If Pepsi fell behind Dr. Pepper in soft drink sales, they wouldn't comfort themselves by pointing out that Diet Pepsi Max was outperforming Vanilla Diet Dr. Pepper; so, don't give me any garbage about soccer and softball and other nonsense.

Football is the flagship driver at FBS colleges. It's the only one that stands a chance of breaking even and occassionally making a buck. If it's not going well, it doesn't really matter what happens with the sports no one shows up to watch - but we pay for through the nose thanks to Title IX.

This school's president needs to get a real athletic director. And, in turn, that real athletic director needs to get real donors to pony up real cash to get a real college football coach. Really.

betteroff.jpg

Edited by The Fake Lonnie Finch

Guest GrayEagleOne

When you are in deep despair the only way to keep from going nuts is to look to the future. If there were no hope we'd all abandon this program.

I think that what MGIP is saying is that even if the coaching goes south, the cupboard won't be bare. That's very true unless there is another division amongst the squad over recruiting loyalty. If the head coach is fired would all of the squad remain intact? Other than Riley, it's possible that they all would stay, especially if there's a new stadium.

There does seem to be a nucleus for a conference championship on the offensive side of the ball but I think that the defense is suspect. There really isn't an established defensive lineman. Troy Franklin has a world of potential but you know what that means. Gilmore seems pretty solid but he hasn't become all-conference material yet. Linebacking is okay but other than Robertson, nothing of AC caliber. The defensive backs have been pretty unimpressive thus far. They lack size and tackling ability.

But, yeah, this team does look to have a good core of capable players for the future. Now if we can just get them coached.

Good post, MG Insurance Pro. I just worry that Dodge is so engrossed with offense, that the defense will get overlooked. And by the way, it seems offense minded coaches have this problem. Don't know if it is an ego thing or not. The only offense genius to really overcome it was Joe Gibbs in his first stint at Washington. Offense coaches seem to be control freaks (i.e. Deloach/Dodge arguing), assistants give him their starting line up and he changes it). I e-mailed SLC Outsider, as he was cruising the board, and ask if he still thought Dodge could turn this around. His reply was that, yes, he could if everybody was patient. But, he did not know how much patience Dodge would have. Thought that was interesting.

I e-mailed SLC Outsider, as he was cruising the board, and ask if he still thought Dodge could turn this around. His reply was that, yes, he could if everybody was patient. But, he did not know how much patience Dodge would have. Thought that was interesting.

How much patience Dodge would have? Give me a break.

I'm so tired of the Dodge pedestal. He needs to come down off of it and coach! And, if not, do the right thing and step aside. This isn't his university. It's not a kingdom where he can "run out of patience" with his subjects.

The very idea that Todd Dodge would lose pateince after the crap he's put out on the field would be the height of arrogance if true.

Good post, MG Insurance Pro. I just worry that Dodge is so engrossed with offense, that the defense will get overlooked. And by the way, it seems offense minded coaches have this problem. Don't know if it is an ego thing or not. The only offense genius to really overcome it was Joe Gibbs in his first stint at Washington. Offense coaches seem to be control freaks (i.e. Deloach/Dodge arguing), assistants give him their starting line up and he changes it). I e-mailed SLC Outsider, as he was cruising the board, and ask if he still thought Dodge could turn this around. His reply was that, yes, he could if everybody was patient. But, he did not know how much patience Dodge would have. Thought that was interesting.

It was hard to not see this going on during the game Saturday, but this is the first post I've seen mentioning it. Any ideas as to what's going on there? That did not look like a good working situation.

It was hard to not see this going on during the game Saturday, but this is the first post I've seen mentioning it. Any ideas as to what's going on there? That did not look like a good working situation.

It's a pretty serious issue if anything. I hope it's isolated, but I'm worried it a situation where DeLoach is questioning Dodge's decisions (being the more experienced coach, I would understand why DeLoach would do that).

However, if we do show Dodge the door, I would give DeLoach a SERIOUS look at HC.

As Mean Green fans endure the water torture that is this season, let us look at our team with an eye towards what it can become in the next few seasons (assuming Todd Dodge can make a few significant adjustments to his game day strategy, coaching staff and team attitude).

Offensively, our quarterback is set with either Giovanni Vizza or Riley Dodge. Competition will determine who wins the job, but I am confident either one can be a record-setting quarterback for North Texas.

We seem to be in good shape at running back with Micah Mosley, Cam Montgomery and Lance Dunbar all averaging 4.7 yards a carry or better. Although I don’t think any of these guys are in the same class as a Patrick Cobbs or a freshman Jamrario Thomas, we can win with this trio.

Receiver has actually become a position of concern for next season with the graduation of Casey Fitzgerald and so many other unexpected defections.

We really need a playmaker or two here, but I hope Dodge doesn’t go overboard trying to fill this hole (we all know Dodge has yet to meet a high school receiver he hasn’t offered a scholarship to.) Surely there is a receiver already on the roster who will step up when given an opportunity (a la Fitzgerald last season).

The offensive line has the potential to be the strength of the team in the next few seasons. Kelvin Drake (hopefully fresh off a redshirt) and J.J. Johnson possess all-conference skills, although one will have to switch positions to get them both on the field at the same time. North Texas is also loaded with several other players on the offensive line who have significant starting experience.

Defensively, barring an unexpected breakthrough, the defensive line, goes into next season as the biggest hole on the roster. Calling the defensive line a “hole on the roster” actually does not do it justice. Our defensive line is a black hole that has sucked away our ability to compete on the FBS level. We have maybe one player on our roster with the skills to be in a defensive line rotation in the Sun Belt.

When thinking of the nucleus of our defensive line I am not counting on Eddrick Gilmore. Gilmore is wildly talented, but the road to success is littered with the corpses of wildly talented players who couldn’t make the sacrifices required to reach their potential. Gilmore’s past suggests he will be remembered with such recent Mean Green immortals as Michael Ruff and Chris Moss… guys whose immense physical talent was eclipsed only by their lack of discipline.

The defensive line problem was originated by Darrell Dickey, who was so amazing at recruiting defensive linemen (Brandon Kennedy, Adrian Awasom, Darrell Daniels, Evan Cardwell, Michael Pruitt) that he completely stopped doing it. He left the cupboard empty for Dodge, who somehow forgot to restock it in his first two recruiting classes (No big deal since all those receivers he signed are catching so many touchdown passes we don’t even have to worry about defense.).

Dodge’s ability to find players on the defensive line QUICKLY could mean the difference between him someday being the head coach at the University of Texas or reuniting with his BFF Ron Mendoza in District 7-5A next year.

All three of our starting linebackers will return. Now…maybe it is because of how bad our d-line sucks, but I’ve just never been impressed with our current crop of linebackers. They look strong and fast, but they never seem to make game-changing plays. I don’t see tackles behind the line of scrimmage or forced fumbles. I don’t see the type of leadership we are used to having on defense from our linebackers. This is a position that could use an infusion from the junior college ranks.

Kylie Hill, Darien Williams and Royce Hill are players you can build around in the secondary. Keep in mind that a decent pass rush could make these guys much better. So could an intimidating hitter patrolling the middle of the field. If I were Todd Dodge, I would call every junior college coach I knew and ask them who was the hardest-hitting defensive back they played against all season. Then I would target those players.

Life sucks for Mean Green fans right now, but there are some building blocks in place for a better future.

He has a good core of players, but needs to add to his coaching staff to go along with DeLoach, Leftwich, Buckles, Gandy, and Petersen in order to take a giant leap forward and continue to recruit the above mentioned caliber of players and possibly better with the new stadium and more wins.