Roberson

greenminer

After looking incredible during the spring game, what happened? I thought for sure he would be getting some catches with all the attention Fitz and Dibrell receive.

I know someone posted he's more of an athlete than a true receiver, but that still doesn't explain why he isn't involved as I thought he would be.

I think this speaks to a larger problem of low production from wide receivers. As of today, you have three receivers with more than five catches. Yikes.

But I think you are right that, compounding this, is the dispersion factor, as illustrated by the following stat line.

Casey Fitzgerald and Sam Dibrell - 41 catches

Rest of team - 28 catches

Your top dogs are always going to get the bulk of catches, but you have a problem when there's so much concentration on one or two guys.

That helps sometimes though. I know it's a little different when it comes to the NFL, but in the write-up, there was a lot of credit given to Owens, who got like 17 yards or something, because his contribution was that he was double and triple teamed, leaving other guys wide open. Having your top receivers get a lot of defensive attention, in the long run, gives you plenty of options with no coverage on your other guys.

I think the point is that there are not a lot of catches going to the other receivers. That can mean that the qb is only looking for the top guys or the other receivers are not getting open or running good routes.

It can also mean that the offensive line isn't giving the QB enough time to go through all his reads.

I'm sure it's a combination of all of the above. The problem, though, is that we all thought the offense would be rolling along in Todd Dodge Year Two. It isn't, for some reason; for a variety of reasons.

I would agree on this. Roberson has been open 5-7 times this year and Giovanni has missed him. He should have a TD catch against Tulsa, however the QB took forever to get rid of the ball allowing the corner to catch back up by the time the ball was thrown. Roberson was wide open on the play, and it looked like Giovanni may not have seen him until it was too late.

Just for discussion, but does it look like Giovanni locks onto Casey and Dibrell as soon as he catches the snap on a passing play? An All-American and his old high school teammate...can't say I blame him too much, but Lott and Roberson are extremely capable receivers as well.