Terry Bowden On Finding Football Players

Administrators, if anyone has brought up this link before, please delete it. I was just looking around on the Yahoo sports pages and came across this by Terry Bowden written on May 25. Remember how Todd Dodge emphasized recruiting the Metroplex when he was hired? Bowden seems to agree with the concept. If you can't think of any reason to feel good about UNT football right now, check out the concepts Bowden presents, and the fantastic website he links to with a geographer's guide to college football; then see if you can't agree with Dodges's reasoning for recruiting the Metroplex. And hey, anybody who's hooked on football and maps could spend days on the mapping site!

Bowden on finding football players

MapGameDay.com

Don't they play football in New England? No recruits from R.I., Maine, or Vermont.

Violent contact sports? Are you kidding?

and Terry is coaching where????

He coaches every team on Saturday morning TV. [ie. he is out of the profession, not as successful as others in family are. ] I think his points are valid, he just isn't all that great coaching in the pits Head coach is a very complex deal.. recruiting (players and assistants) , teaching skills, fan/alum relations, good game planning, good sideline decisions, talent evaluation, and much more. Very few excel at all of them.

The old Houston coach, Bill Yeoman, used to say if the could just recruit most of the talent in and near Houston that he would have a big-time winner every year. He really emphasized getting locals, then picking up a few away from the area.

Edited by SCREAMING EAGLE-66

He coaches every team on Saturday morning TV. [ie. he is out of the profession, not as successful as others in family are. ] I think his points are valid, he just isn't all that great coaching in the pits Head coach is a very complex deal.. recruiting (players and assistants) , teaching skills, fan/alum relations, good game planning, good sideline decisions, talent evaluation, and much more. Very few excel at all of them.

The old Houston coach, Bill Yeoman, used to say if the could just recruit most of the talent in and near Houston that he would have a big-time winner every year. He really emphasized getting locals, then picking up a few away from the area.

Wasnt Bill Yeoman the coach when they played SMU out of the death penalty year and ran up the score like 91-0?

Guest GrayEagleOne

and Terry is coaching where????

He hasn't coached in ten years but he did coach for 15 years and won more than 70% of his games, including 73% winning percentage at Auburn. I think that at least qualifies him to critique the recruiting process.

Guest GrayEagleOne

Terry's record at Auburn was 47-17-1. He had three first round draft choices during his five full years at Auburn and 17 players total drafted into the NFL.

His affair with a board member's daughter led to his quitting and yes, his last year's team (he left after six gamss) was not eligible for a bowl. I'm not condoning his morals, only the fact that he was a good coach...pretty much the equal of his dad and brother, Tommy.

Edited by GrayEagleOne