True Or False ? Football For Utsa In 2011

Post on the CUSA board by West is Best with no link to article, etc.

UTSA is expected to get the green light from UT BOR in June to start football. UTSA has committed $80mm for sports complex amd will play games in Alamo Dome. Dennis Franchione and R C Slocum head the list for first coach.UTSA has had talks with CUSA and CUSA has shown strong interest.UTSA visited UCF to review their sports complex. A second SA bowl game (with CUSA as host) is in the works.

THREAD

http://ncaabbs.com/showthread.php?tid=298972

Post on the CUSA board by West is Best with no link to article, etc.

UTSA is expected to get the green light from UT BOR in June to start football. UTSA has committed $80mm for sports complex amd will play games in Alamo Dome. Dennis Franchione and R C Slocum head the list for first coach.UTSA has had talks with CUSA and CUSA has shown strong interest.UTSA visited UCF to review their sports complex. A second SA bowl game (with CUSA as host) is in the works.

THREAD

http://ncaabbs.com/showthread.php?tid=298972

Pure fiction. BTW, the Big 12 is expanding to 14 teams and UNT and Notre Dame will be the next invitees. ;)

Edited by NT80

Here's the article from the SA Express News-

http://www.mysanantonio.com/sports/localco...en.37bc6ea.html

Local Colleges: UTSA seeks 'green light' for football

Web Posted: 05/17/2008 10:54 PM CDT

By John Whisler

jwhisler@express-news.net

UTSA president Ricardo Romo expects approval of a business plan that could lead to the kickoff of Division I football at the school as early as 2011.

If the plan is approved by University of Texas System Board of Regents next month, Romo said UTSA could start interviewing coaching candidates by this fall.

“We could find someone who can't start right away,” Romo said. “Or, we may find a coach who says, ‘I'm there in September.'”

In any case, Romo said the hope is that a coach could be hired by February 2009. That would give the coach a chance to sign recruiting classes in 2010 and 2011, setting the stage for the Roadrunners to tee it up at the Alamodome for the first time that fall.

But the president cautioned this is a “best-case scenario,” pending approval of UT system chancellors and regents.

“They've given us all green lights so far,” Romo said. “We're anticipating a green light on this, too.”

UTSA

In March, regents agreed to raise tuition and fees at its system schools over the next two years, a decision that included the approval of a student-generated proposal to increase the athletics fee at UTSA.

The increase, decisively supported in a campus referendum last fall, was a major step in UTSA's quest to field a Division I team.

Equally significant to UTSA athletics upgrades was approval by voters in a Bexar County election last week to extend the venue tax for amateur sports facilities, a proposal that ensured UTSA would receive $15 million in funding for a proposed multi-sport complex.

The addition of football and the construction of the complex are part of an overall plan to elevate UTSA's status in NCAA Division I.

Previously, athletic director Lynn Hickey has served as the primary spokeswoman for the plan, since the university released results of a feasibility study 18 months ago.

Now, the addition of Romo's voice in the discourse could be viewed as a positive to those who would like to see higher-profile athletics, including football, at a university that has sponsored sports teams since 1981.

Hickey applauded Romo's leadership.

“It's an honor to be part of his program,'' Hickey said. “He's the one who keeps our priorities in check. He makes sure we are an academic institution first. Hopefully, in athletics, we can match what he's done with the total university.''

The proposed athletics complex would serve as a competition site for UTSA teams in track and field, soccer, baseball, softball and tennis. It also would be a practice site for football.

A core building on the property is planned for locker, training and office space.

In addition, the facility would be shared with the public, utilized as a venue for events that would attract tourist dollars to the city. The facility would be built on UTSA property, a 125-acre tract west of the Loop 1604 main campus.

Romo said the total price tag for the athletics complex, at first estimated at $60 million, is now expected to be $80 million.

UTSA already has acquired the land for about $20 million and, over the past five years, has raised another $22 million in public financing.

Romo said the rest of the money for the project likely would come through private fundraising efforts.

The immediate plan for the complex, Romo said, is to begin construction on phase one — a track and field stadium that would meet international specifications, and a soccer stadium capable of hosting major events — within two years.

Romo said coaches in those sports already are beginning to use the proposed stadiums as recruiting tools.

“They're showing them artist renderings and saying, ‘This is where we're going to be playing,'” he said. “We want to be playing our first games by 2010.”

In April, Romo led a group of UTSA officials on a fact-finding trip to Orlando, Fla., to view facilities at the University of Central Florida, a member of Conference USA.

Central Florida's $107 million multi-sports complex includes a commercial development with university dormitories and 100,000-square feet of retail space.

“It was impressive,” Romo said. “But there were some aspects of it that wouldn't work for us.”

The expansion of UTSA athletics is part of a strategic plan “to build a premier public research university,” said David Gabler, assistant vice president for university communications.

“And football,'' Gabler said, “is an important part of that.”

Online at: http://www.mysanantonio.com/sports/localco...en.37bc6ea.html

That thread ought to show you how far down the ladder of respectability we've slipped. Wanting an upstart program with ZERO pride over UNT? Give me a break. UTSA is a fine institution if you want a community college experience, but it's no Texas State... or even UNT.

All I know is that if they do start up a new program with a big-name coach and get into CUSA real fast (within 3-5 years of startup), we better not be in the Sunbelt still. Because if we are still here in the SBC and UTSA and Texas State move over there, we should just quit I-A football. It would be proven at that point that we just don't want to be serious about college football if in 5 years those two schools pass us by. We may have been paseed by many other programs across the country over the decades, but we have never had a state-program blow by us--yet. That would be the sign of the apocalypse, as far as D-I football goes.

All I know is that if they do start up a new program with a big-name coach and get into CUSA real fast (within 3-5 years of startup), we better not be in the Sunbelt still. Because if we are still here in the SBC and UTSA and Texas State move over there, we should just quit I-A football. It would be proven at that point that we just don't want to be serious about college football if in 5 years those two schools pass us by. We may have been paseed by many other programs across the country over the decades, but we have never had a state-program blow by us--yet. That would be the sign of the apocalypse, as far as D-I football goes.

As crazy as it sounds... Im with ya. Im not ready to say the sky is falling- yet- but I do have thoughts, concerns, and opinions about what our situation looks like in the future. This several year "silent" phase isn't helping...

As crazy as it sounds... Im with ya. Im not ready to say the sky is falling- yet- but I do have thoughts, concerns, and opinions about what our situation looks like in the future. This several year "silent" phase isn't helping...

Could you imagine how embarrassed we all would feel if UTSA or Texas State pass us by in terms of Division I-A football? I believe that my UNT degree will always carrry more weight than a degree from either of those places, even if they move forward and make all of their football dreams come true, but the level of donations and prestige for those schools would soar compared to where they are now--which could really raise the view of a degree from either of those places. Meanwhile, back in Denton....

Steady folks...in fact, the sky is not falling. The fortunes of UNT athletics does not depend upon what UTSA or Texas State does with their programs. It depends 100% on what UNT does with its program. And, from where I sit these days, it looks like UNT is moving "onward and upward". I know things seems so slow at times, like when we were all six years old and waiting for Christmas Day to come. Well, it always came! Take a step back from some of the items posted on this board and really look at the improvement (all around) that the athletic program...and the academic program for that matter...has made in the last 4-5 years. It is not JUST football or basketball that makes up a universiy D-I athletic program. And, while strides in a positive way have been made in UNT's football and basketball programs, look at the overall program. If you are honest, I think you will see more progress ijn the last five years or so than the previous 10-15!

GO MEAN GREEN. You can help by purchasing season tickets and in making certain that the tickets are used on game days! Join the Mean Green Club and Join the Exes...be part of the GREAT MEAN GREEN NATION! You will be glad you did!

Could you imagine how embarrassed we all would feel if UTSA or Texas State pass us by in terms of Division I-A football? I believe that my UNT degree will always carrry more weight than a degree from either of those places, even if they move forward and make all of their football dreams come true, but the level of donations and prestige for those schools would soar compared to where they are now--which could really raise the view of a degree from either of those places. Meanwhile, back in Denton....

I will not be embarrassed b/c I have family that have ties to both UTSA and Texas State....depressed is a better description. If this article doesn't get our President's and BOR's attention, I'm not sure anything ever will. We need to start turning dirt on Eagle Point and we need that Student Fee in place asap.

Steady folks...in fact, the sky is not falling. The fortunes of UNT athletics does not depend upon what UTSA or Texas State does with their programs. It depends 100% on what UNT does with its program. And, from where I sit these days, it looks like UNT is moving "onward and upward". I know things seems so slow at times, like when we were all six years old and waiting for Christmas Day to come. Well, it always came! Take a step back from some of the items posted on this board and really look at the improvement (all around) that the athletic program...and the academic program for that matter...has made in the last 4-5 years. It is not JUST football or basketball that makes up a universiy D-I athletic program. And, while strides in a positive way have been made in UNT's football and basketball programs, look at the overall program. If you are honest, I think you will see more progress ijn the last five years or so than the previous 10-15!

GO MEAN GREEN. You can help by purchasing season tickets and in making certain that the tickets are used on game days! Join the Mean Green Club and Join the Exes...be part of the GREAT MEAN GREEN NATION! You will be glad you did!

My question would be, "Why are the UTSA's, TSUSM's, FAU's, FIU's, Lamar's, etc...of the world not scared to go public with their intentions while NT stays in a never ending silent phase?" NT might do well by itself to promote its intentions and plans for the future creating some excitement around campus around throughout the alumni population.

In my opinion, there is no difference between a degree from UNT, UTSA, Texas State, UT, A&M etc. To me its all a degree and in the end it is a peice of paper that someone achieved and its all about EDUCATION. It does not matter where you get education....it is all important and priceless.

I definitely give UTSA props in having a vision for their athletics program and their committment to football. Hopefully UNT can read this and learn from them.

We are in SERIOUS trouble if we have to "learn" something from an Athletic program that doesn't even have football.

That thread ought to show you how far down the ladder of respectability we've slipped. Wanting an upstart program with ZERO pride over UNT? Give me a break. UTSA is a fine institution if you want a community college experience, but it's no Texas State... or even UNT.

Sometime in the very near future, hopefully, some will realize just how much smoke we get from our AD.

My question would be, "Why are the UTSA's, TSUSM's, FAU's, FIU's, Lamar's, etc...of the world not scared to go public with their intentions while NT stays in a never ending silent phase?" NT might do well by itself to promote its intentions and plans for the future creating some excitement around campus around throughout the alumni population.

Because they have the athletic leadership in place that can pull it off. NT doesn't.

Jim,

Not to attack you personally, but I have never understood this philosophy. How does FBS football make your UNT degree more valuable than my Texas State or Tarleton State degrees? For example, Texas State's geography and Tarleton State's agriculture programs are considered some of the best in the region (if not the nation), and therefore it can be assumed that their degrees carry more weight than similar degrees from North Texas.

All of that being said, I agree with Green Mean. It does not matter if you went to the best program in the nation if you only skated by, and did not retain any information after you were finished. The education you walk away with is more important than the piece of paper on your wall.

Edited by Chrisattsu

Jim,

Not to attack you personally, but I have never understood this philosophy. How does FBS football make your UNT degree more valuable than my Texas State or Tarleton State degrees? Texas State's geography program and Tarleton State's agriculture program are considered some of the best in the region (if not the nation), and therefore it can be assumed that their degrees carry more weight than similar degrees from North Texas.

All of that being said, I agree with Green Mean. It does not matter if you went to the best program in the nation if you only skated by, and did not retain any information after you were finished. The education you walk away with is more important than the piece of paper on your wall.

Chris,

No offense taken. I don't think that football has anything at all to do with my degree value from UNT in the Metroplex. My degree in finance was very appreciated by employers when I graduated and ever since--probably because of the proximity to the Dallas/Ft.Worth area and the knowledge of our business school's strength. Remember, we get many profs that have expereince in business in the Metroplex, which of course would carry alot of weight. That is what I was trying to convey--that my degree from UNT will always have more value here, with or without football becoming anything bigger than a lower-rung program (bottom 20). No offense to your TSU degrees, which, of course, they have strong programs in other areas, but, as far as my degree goes, I really believe that my UNT degree in finance will have more worth here in the Metroplex. It might be different in Austin or San Antonio, but I am fairly certain that I won't ever have to find that out. I will say that the amount of donations and LOYALTY that Texas State has created over the last few years and will continue to build is highly admirable. For that, I am extremely envious. If they do get to play in a confernece with people like UH, La Tech, UTEP, SMU, or even TCU, while we get Florida International and Louisiana-Monroe, I think we all could figure out the big winner in that scenario--and that is what burns most of us up about our school's habitual dragging-of-the-feet with a new stadium.

Now, as far as building a football program, if Texas State or UTSA can make things happen to move forward their programs, ala UCF, USF, WKU,etc., and we can't, I think it says more about what we shouldn't keep doing than what it says about the forward movement of Texas State and UTSA. That's all I am saying.