Smut Scrimmage Draws 3,500

NT80

Guest GrayEagleOne

I do think it's interesting that with all the supposed buzz about a new $20m coach, new wide open offense, etc and all they manage to pull is 3500.

(Opposed to UNT and last years' new coach buzz drawing over 5000 for it's spring game. )

Does anybody still think the Dallas or the metroplex is embracing the new & improved SMU because of it's new high profile coach?

Not only that, but 250 of them were prospects, many of whom brought along parents. That accounts for at least 500 visitors and, given their penchant for exaggeration, they probably had less than 2,000 regular supporters.

Did I miss something? I knew that Jones was making $2 million a year but did they sign him for 10 years?

Not only that, but 250 of them were prospects, many of whom brought along parents. That accounts for at least 500 visitors and, given their penchant for exaggeration, they probably had less than 2,000 regular supporters.

Did I miss something? I knew that Jones was making $2 million a year but did they sign him for 10 years?

My bad...typo. Should have read $2m. Correction made

I hope that we are able to draw 250 recruits to the spring game. Does anyone know if there are any other spring games with which we would be competiting against? I would expect the first verbals of 2009 to come shortly after that game.

Edited by H-towngreen

Once again, we need to think big. SMU has less than 10,000 students, we have 30,000, plus a MUCH bigger alumni base. UNT should draw TONS more than 5,000! What does TCU draw? That's who we should be comparing ourselves to, plus, they are about 5 miles closer than SMU. Not to mention TCU has produced a winning football program the last 10 years, that actually goes to bowls, and beats Big12 schools.

Once again, we need to think big. SMU has less than 10,000 students, we have 30,000, plus a MUCH bigger alumni base. UNT should draw TONS more than 5,000! What does TCU draw? That's who we should be comparing ourselves to, plus, they are about 5 miles closer than SMU. Not to mention TCU has produced a winning football program the last 10 years, that actually goes to bowls, and beats Big12 schools.

But SMUt is so easy to dislike. It's one reason we really need into CUSA, closer conference teams with more household names. Trying to get fans stirred up over a SBC conference opponent 800 miles away that is never mentioned in the Dallas paper is not easy.

But SMUt is so easy to dislike. It's one reason we really need into CUSA, closer conference teams with more household names. Trying to get fans stirred up over a SBC conference opponent 800 miles away that is never mentioned in the Dallas paper is not easy.

Freaking seriously. Saying, "Hey! we're playing Houston!" means more than "Hey, we're playing Florida National International Atlantic State College."

Freaking seriously. Saying, "Hey! we're playing Houston!" means more than "Hey, we're playing Florida National International Atlantic State College."

To people I try to lure to a NT game it sure does. The first question they always ask is "who are they playing?"

What about the Ft Worth Star Telegram? TCU has been to bowls 9 of the last 10 years, beaten BCS schools, been nationally ranked. SMU hasn't been to a single bowl since 1984!????? But we have SOME, that are focused on being better than SMU? I sure hope that Todd doesn't have this small time mentality.....but, I am very confident, that he doesn't.

I understand your point, but TCU also has less than 10,000 students and we have a much bigger alumni base than them also. I will welcome the day when NT has to open up both sides of Fouts, or the new stadium, out of necessity and not have everyone sit on the West side.

Umm SMU has more than 10,000 students. I believe they have like 12,000 or 13,000 students. TCU does have less less than 10.000 but not by much. This is not a matter how many students a school has....its all about being active alumni and how much support that alumni gives you. You need to realize that the SMU Alumni base is very very wealthy and powerful. I cant express any other way as that. If they need a 100 million dollars then they wont have much problems getting it.

I long for the day when people go to NT games to watch NT! :blowup:

These are mostly non-UNT people I ask, just general sports fans, but yes the opponent is important to them. It's like if a Smu fan asked you to a Smu game. You may have no real interest in seeing Smu, especially if they were playing WKU et al, but if they told you they were playing Navy or Arkansas you probably would have more interest in attending...no?

These are mostly non-UNT people I ask, just general sports fans, but yes the opponent is important to them. It's like if a Smu fan asked you to a Smu game. You may have no real interest in seeing Smu, especially if they were playing WKU et al, but if they told you they were playing Navy or Arkansas you probably would have more interest in attending...no?

Don't you know that it is against the rules for a NT grad/student to have friends with SMU connections? B)