Fau Revisiting Recruiting Strategy

MeanGreen61

Wasn't Schnellenberger a big critic of TD's early recruiting strategy ? :blink:

“I don’t want to take anything away from this class. This class was outstanding and the best we’ve ever had, but we’re not competing with the very top-of-the line Miamis, Floridas, Florida States, Penn States and Ohio States.

And the reason why we’re not is those damn early commitments. People are offering these guys scholarships without even coming on their campus sometimes. All that’s doing is leading to a bunch of heartache for a lot of people. And it’s causing us heartache because we’re haven’t done that. I’m hard-pressed to think I’ll ever do it, but I’ve got to do something so we can get a chance. We have to get a chance to get them on a visit and our coaches can talk to them and show film and get them to come to a game.

FULL BLOG ARTICLE

http://www.palmbeachpost.com/blogs/content...g_strategy.html

Edited by MeanGreen61

“I don’t want to take anything away from this class. This class was outstanding and the best we’ve ever had, but we’re not competing with the very top-of-the line Miamis, Floridas, Florida States, Penn States and Ohio States. "

Keep going Howard.........or the North Texas's, Troy's and Middle Tennessee's of the world.

I cannot wait to finally start turning the tide against FAU.

[Wasn't Schnellenberger a big critic of TD's early recruiting strategy ?

He was the biggest critic out there, so much so that he really came across looking like a prick!

Agree, GMoney!

And after all, FAU had gone to the NO's bowl, had just had a presidential debate nationally televised on their campus, too; every kid in Florida should have been tripping all over themselves to join Howard "Father Time" Schnellenberger's football program. :rolleyes:

On the other side of the coin, we should all be glad FAU was not in the SBC when its football operations began in 2001.

If Coach Howie's program would have been elgible for the NO's Bowl back in the SBC inaugural football operation's year of 2001, "then" de facto AD, ie, UNT BOR Chairman Bobby Ray may have had to have actually backed-off & allowed UNT AD Rick V to do the kind of things most of us thought he had been hired to do..............and with that that should have most likely happened in Monroe, Louisiana, in October of 2001, ya' think? :(

I don't care what kind of season we had last year because the 2 years prior to last Fall sugggested we very well would have had just what we had, but I know most of us are still glad we have Coach Todd Dodge in Denton, Texas, America, and those of his (still) present doubters will (I'll wager) have to eat a whole bunch of crow in due time.

Hellsbells, I only recently heard that even SBC Commish' Wright Waters did not even want UNT to hire Coach Dodge in the first place back in the day as if it were "HIS" business--could there be any actual degree of truth to "THAT?" rumor? :ph34r:

Does ol' WW want UNT to always keep this SBC/Bottom 25'ish co-existance going all the time or what? If that is the case (and I am being a bit facetious with all of that, of coursee), but I don't Wright is going to be right at all with any of that; that is, he is not going to get his wish. It may not be the WAC, but anytime we can leave the SBC for whoever, I know a bunch on this board who will applaud that action & others who would jump on such a bandwagon, too.

Any league that has some of our very own (and truly best) alums putting down actual bowl games (which did happen to have 2 WAC participants) yet with their 2 bowl games producing approx. $17 million each year as compared to the NO's Bowl's shrinking $750,000 has got some of our best fans in some kind of strangle-hold or catatonic trance of actually want a bowl with $750K versus $17 million and stating such on GMG.com for heaven's sake... :blink:

Anyway, congrats to Coach Dodge & Staff for their efforts in bringing in this fine group of student/athletes to our main campus in Denton. I feel this is only the start of even bigger things to come.

Plumm is on to something.

I heard that Terrelle Pryor is delaying his commitment because he wants to make sure that the football school he chooses also hosted a presidential debate. Blue Chip footballers are really hard core about making sure their campus hosts political events.

Also... How could the commissioner of the conference possibly be anxious about one of it's member schools hiring a high school head coach with only a very limited amount of experience at the college level, and even that limited experience as an assistant? Outrageous!

I mean, it's not like we've ever done that before and had it backfire or anything. Couple our longstanding history of football success with the strong track record that high school coaches have had as head coaches at the college level, and Wright Waters must be out of his mind if he had any doubts that NT and the conference might be better served, both in terms of success and public perception, by hiring a more experienced coach from the college ranks.

Luckily for all parties, that 2-10 record and 119th ranked defense really silences all critics.

:devil:

I heard that Terrelle Pryor is delaying his commitment because he wants to make sure that the football school he chooses also hosted a presidential debate. Blue Chip footballers are really hard core about making sure their campus hosts political events.

Also... How could the commissioner of the conference possibly be anxious about one of it's member schools hiring a high school head coach with only a very limited amount of experience at the college level, and even that limited experience as an assistant? Outrageous!

I mean, it's not like we've ever done that before and had it backfire or anything. Couple our longstanding history of football success with the strong track record that high school coaches have had as head coaches at the college level, and Wright Waters must be out of his mind if he had any doubts that NT and the conference might be better served, both in terms of success and public perception, by hiring a more experienced coach from the college ranks.

Luckily for all parties, that 2-10 record and 119th ranked defense really silences all critics.

:lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:

The only mis-justice of last Fall is that Wright Water's good buddy D.Dickey (with all his journeyman collegiate experience (ever see his resume' before UNT--it's laughable) and WW's buddy with his superior public relations skills to an alumnus & fan base); yet, the only mis-justice is that DD could not have been at UNT to bottom out all that he had begat completely. Still, I know most of us are glad Todd Dodge was hired & had to endure what would be the inevitable.

Of course black unis-gate probably ended any chance our upper echelon leaders had to approve yet another contract extension. After all, our upper echelon leaders (themselves) didn't want to be tar-ed & feathered out of Denton on a rail because they would have also swept DD's symbolic mooning to our entire UNT univeristy because of his behaviour under a carpet.

Then again, had the Perseverer of all that was good in the SBC/Big Easy but that which was still Bottom 25; anywya, had he been here last year, UNT probably would not have recruited who would make a NCAA D1-A Freshmen All American team & his name which rhymes with pizza.

At UNT, we just simply have one basic (but on-going) cycle which just needs to be broken and that cycle being; the larger our campus spreads out all over west Denton, the larger our enrollment become with projections that we will one day pass Texas A & M University as the 2'nd Largest University in Texas; also the larger Denton becomes and................with a Denton County that now has more population within its county boundaries than the entire City of New Orleans had pre-Katrina; nevertheless, the cycle that really needs to be broken is that the larger all our aforementioned constituencies get, the smaller thinkin' many of our alums seem to get.

I suppose my main problem is that I grew up watching a U of Houston athletic program (which some of you even compared some of their similararities with our own). Yet I got to watch UH do things with their football and baskeball programs that we of UNT (who dare to dream) can only dream about in our wildest dreams. Should I have enrolled at UH where they had movers, shakers, rattlers and rollers? Well, no, because they didn't have a TWU near their campus where a (once) very special girl was enrolled.

THINK BIG--BUILD BIGGER!

AND PLEEEEZZZZZZZZZZ CUT OUT ALL THIS "We po' but proud" mindset that a former UNT coach seems to have been quite successful in gaining some converts to such a theory who are still around today.

AND.....................SUCH A THEORY THAT OUR ANNUAL BOTTOM 25 CO-EXISTANCE SEEMS TO HAVE INUDATED A HANDFUL OF OUR ALUMS, SPECIFICALLY A FEW ON THIS FORUM; YOU KNOW THE ONES, IE, THOSE ALUMS WHO WERE BARELY A TWINKLE IN THEIR RESPECTIVE FATHER'S EYES WHEN WE BEAT THE UNIVERSITY OF TENNESSEE VOLUNTEERS (& OTHERS FWIW) & THOSE WHO CAN ONLY JOKE ABOUT SUCH TIMES SINCE THEY NEVER SAW THEM FIRST-HAND AND THOSE WHO................JUST CANNOT BEGIN TO UNDERSTAND WHAT THOSE KIND OF WINS DID FOR THE HOPES & DREAMS OF MANY WHO THE LAST 30 YEARS HAVE ALMOST GIVEN UP ON SUCH DREAMS BECAUSE WE HAVE SO MANY WHO (IF YOU GO BY WHAT THEY POST ON GMG.COM) SEEM TO WANT SO MUCH LESS. (DON'T FORGET NOW........"we po' but proud."

WHEN WE OLD GUN ALUMS FINALLY GET READY TO CROAK & PASS THE TORCH TO A YOUNGER GENERATION, BUT BEFORE WE DO, WE WOULD REALLY LIKE TO PASS THAT TORCH TO THOSE WHO CAN & WILL DREAM MUCH, MUCH BIGGER THAN WHAT WRIGHT WATER'S THROW-TOGETHER LEAGUE OF BOTTOM DWELLERS SEEMS TO HAVE PRODUCED AN ATTITUDE SEEM MANY TIMES ON GOMEANGREEN.COM THAT THIS IS THE ONLY LEVEL WE WILL EVER BE ABLE TO ATTAIN AT UNT.

EXPERIENCED COLLEGE COACHES YOU SAY? WELL............LET'S JUST GO AHEAD AND DO IT, THAT IS............. let's just go out & get more "experienced" journeymen college football coaches who might also set low goals & do their best to try to retire in Denton based on lowly set goals that were (in deed) reached; you know, where all you have to to is merely B.S. some who'll buy into the B.S. that they want Big Time Football (yet their actions & our most upper echelon fund-raising skills & enthusiasm seemingly proving different).

A QUESTION: How long did UNT have those monies ($1.2 million?) in the bank from that the very wealthy Denton County family gave us & to do with those monies what we are finally just now getting around to doing this week? Didn't that "ble$$ed" family in Denton County give that money now well over a year and half ago? Anyone else wonder about the time lapse of when they actually gave those monies to the events of this week; that is, when we are finally getting (only) "blue-print" plans started? AND........just what year are our leaders truly projecting to have a finished football stadium? And might rushing all this give us an Erection Set Stadium a la FIU, too? I now, it really is a Catch 22 we have working with this new stadium thing in Denton. Still sorta' ironic how just ONE BIG DONOR could still change every bit of this overnight.

Edited by PlummMeanGreen

Oh Plummy... I have missed you so.

Thanks, Stebo, I've actually missed you, too. :blink:

Now, lets get back to being the "conservatives versus the liberals", OK? :lol:

Hey, dude, I know I can be a Grumpy Old Man at times, but what the hell else do I have to do as I approach age 60? Holey! Moley!

Hope your recruiting is going well, Steve.

GMG!

Thanks, Stebo, I've actually missed you, too. :blink:

Now, lets get back to being the "conservatives versus the liberals", OK? :lol:

Hey, dude, I know I can be a Grumpy Old Man at times, but what the hell else do I have to do as I approach age 60? Holey! Moley!

Hope your recruiting is going well, Steve.

GMG!

I don't have to recruit, I am a director... but I will pass it on to the counselors that you wish them luck. You see Plumm, when you are a leader and a winner... you move up in life.... and in jobs. Sorry that didn't work out for you, your opinion still counts though. But it would be REALLY helpful if you were to actually donate to the department that you compain has not spent other people's money yet on your stadium. Maybe if all the Plummy types out there would just buy season tickets and/or join the Mean Green Club.... we would probably have a stadium by now. But NO, we need the ever elusive BIG DONOR!!!! Those don't come until after ground has been broken dumbass. Usually about a year later in fact. There is no saviour... YOU are the one that can change the stadium situation. Invest in your degree Plummy. How about starting off with Season Tix and a low level Mean Green Club membership? Would that be tooooooo much to ask?

I don't have to recruit, I am a director... but I will pass it on to the counselors that you wish them luck. You see Plumm, when you are a leader and a winner... you move up in life.... and in jobs. Sorry that didn't work out for you, your opinion still counts though. But it would be REALLY helpful if you were to actually donate to the department that you compain has not spent other people's money yet on your stadium. Maybe if all the Plummy types out there would just buy season tickets and/or join the Mean Green Club.... we would probably have a stadium by now. But NO, we need the ever elusive BIG DONOR!!!! Those don't come until after ground has been broken dumbass. Usually about a year later in fact. There is no saviour... YOU are the one that can change the stadium situation. Invest in your degree Plummy. How about starting off with Season Tix and a low level Mean Green Club membership? Would that be tooooooo much to ask?

Podnuh......there you go again, posting on things you are woefully short on knowledge and obviously spent absolutely no time researching whatsoever, because............... half of the 25 years I chose to be in the technical school business before I burned out of it because of (basically) tired of being around some half-assed/half collegiately trained educators, I was (in fact) a Director of Recruiting (and have awards & plaques that suggested that I was even a successful one if you can fathom that, "half right about half the time" Stebo. FWIW, I usually don't get on this forum and get into self-serving gloat, but since you have called me out just a bit, you sorta' forced my hand this time around. (Did you really finish a degree at UNT)?

Yet once again, Stevarina, your revisionary history writing on this forum ceases to amaze me and also how it seems so many times to come up short on true detail & basic facts; such as how so little you know about my life (as if you even knew me past "Hello, Jim, the weathers fine"' yet how so very little you know about my 25 year career in the proprietary school business of which I would still call you sorta' a new kid on the block in that sector of education and............

...........since we have 1 or 2 on this board that are so damn concerned with something that is really none of their damn business, and that is what I give to UNT...........lets say it this way: I've given to North Texas more than I am going to tell you. I don't think people who give sit around & count it, now do they, Stevarina? Yet it seems some have given more than North Texas has given back (as far as athletics is concerned) and, quite frankly many are waiting on a return of their investment.

Judge not, stevarina, lest you be judged: No, that is not Shakespeare, O wise one with the keyboard; but It really seems some of our upper echelon UNT types most my adult life have been quite fine with my service and contribution to UNT since they did bestow a very nice honor one Spring Awards Banquet. So I never come to campus hat in hand and embarrassed as to what I've done for the school-which is never enough, but I am embarrassed at some fellow alums who act like they are God's gift to North Texas (and if you don't believe it--just ask them).

Funnny, Steverina, how UNT will somehow make it & be around long after we're all gone; that is, since it did quite OK long before any of us arrived.

BUT ONE MORE TIME, stebo, research, research, research, dude, before you post even one more post when you start your non-stop keyboarding because you really show your general lack of knowledge when you don't do that all important research.

BTW, from one of your past unresearched doozies (and you've had quite a few) here's a question for you: When UNT was in a, uh, well, a conference (as you posted recently), with, uh, Southern Miss :rolleyes: (clear my throat) just how well did the Mean Green fare againt those Golden Eagles back then? :)

And I appreciate you telling me my opinion still counts because, Stevarina, I thought with about 4 of you (out of 100,000 alums) that it had truly stopped counting (and you can't believe all the sleep I was losing over that).

Dear Lord Jesus:

Why couldn't I have been just like Emmitt and gone to just one of all the schools he used to post that he could have attended post his own HS graduation other than UNT, because maybe then I could have been surrounded alums who would know that it would be quite normal to get more excited with wins over the University of Tennessee (as compared to Middle Tennessee)........

..............and by more like-thinking alums who acted as if they were on top of whats going on around them in NCAA D1-A (with real life clues as how to keep their school classified at this level rather than waving the white flag and even whispering about going down a level that almost ended college football in Denton, Texas) &................. like-minded alums who really know their NCAA D1-A athletic and what it will really take for schools just like a UNT to completely disassociate itself from Stebo's Uncle Wright Water's SBC/Bottom 25.

I do thank you for my fellow UNT alums who are (and have always been) on target with their progressive thinking & upwardly mobile attitudes (which, thankfully, still way out-numbers all those other poor ol' souls who just don't fit that criteria at all) AND.............thanks for everything else, too. And if you have a nice windfall of monetary gain in mind, I will be a cheerful giver. Amen & Amen & Amen.

(There you go now, just see how going to UNT has driven me to religion instead of that ol' bottle of courage,ie, Jack Daniels)? :rolleyes: Sorry for you that apparently chose Jack Daniels (and seem to post like it, too).

Have A Nice Day, Fellow Progressives, and to you who continually stay confused because of what a Sun Belt Conference level of low set goals, low ball competition and its basic Bottom 25 co-existance has done to your seemed low self esteem thought-processes, you, too, also have a nice day now, ya' hear?

:rolleyes:

Edited by PlummMeanGreen

Ever since the Tomato closed, I've really been craving one of those stuffed pizza things. I've already forgotten what they're called.

Where can I find another middleweight pizza? Are they anywhere else?

:blink:

:lol:

You da' man, TTG!

BTW, all these Reader's Digest giant letter edition posts dedicated to each & everyone of our longsuffering, loyal fans (and I love & appreciate ya' all no matter how much you give to UNT, the Salvation Army, United Way or even your local church or synogogue); yet this #3 size lettering dedicated to all our Old Gun Alums who've been watching football games at Fouts Field for over 30 years.

Another 3-5 years at Fouts (God help us all) and I will go up to the #4 letter size on Harry's Mean Green.

GMG!

Edited by PlummMeanGreen