Smu Vs. Tcu

MCMLXXX

I think 6-7 years ago there was a better chance of making this work when TCU and SMU had solid programs and UNT and UTA were the dregs of the area. Now both UTA and UNT are CONSIDERABLY better programs and Orsini and whoever is AD at TCU now recognize that prestige and perception have a lot more to do with their program's success than does reality. Your average area resident would think SMU and TCU's basketball programs would have hit rock bottom if they cant even beat the likes of North Texas State and UTA...hell they didn't even think Asians could play basketball.

I think 6-7 years ago there was a better chance of making this work when TCU and SMU had solid programs and UNT and UTA were the dregs of the area. Now both UTA and UNT are CONSIDERABLY better programs and Orsini and whoever is AD at TCU now recognize that prestige and perception have a lot more to do with their program's success than does reality. Your average area resident would think SMU and TCU's basketball programs would have hit rock bottom if they cant even beat the likes of North Texas State and UTA...hell they didn't even think Asians could play basketball.

Asians? That's funny. Not more than 93% of male UTA students are Asian. The other 7% are either basketball players (black) or former baseball players (white) who are trying to regain eligibility. Prerequisites for the basketball players are that they are good students and have no fear of heights. Obviously, there are no indoor prerequisites for baseball players. :D

All seriousness aside, you make a good point about prestige and perception. Both of those tiny schools have spent huge amount$ to keep the perception alive, but no amount of investment or promotion can make up for a legacy of losing. It must be particularly urgent for SMU to somehow find a winning coach to reverse their football fortunes. TCU has less of a problem, although it should come as no surprise that their current basketball coach is running out of time. I've heard from some of the TCU fans that Dougherty needs to get at least an NIT bid this year to get a contract extension. :rolleyes:

Last nights radio show and game was sponsored by Pittsburgh Paints of Denton. I'm just guessing here, but considering the fact that the weather destroyed Pittsburgh's sponsorship night for the WKY football game that last night may have been a partial make up for that. In my oppinion we should let Pittsburgh Paints be the official sponsor of the Mean Green the rest of the season for their support.

Rick

Last nights radio show and game was sponsored by Pittsburgh Paints of Denton. I'm just guessing here, but considering the fact that the weather destroyed Pittsburgh's sponsorship night for the WKY football game that last night may have been a partial make up for that. In my oppinion we should let Pittsburgh Paints be the official sponsor of the Mean Green the rest of the season for their support.

Rick

Pittsburgh Paints is also a sponsor of something like "points in the paint" stat.