N T Beats Classless Wku

MeanGreen61

GAME BALL (Final Edition: NT beats classless WKU)

a weekly column by Richard White

Richard White

Issue date: 11/27/07 Section: OPINION

Classless WKU can't spoil NT's last laugh

REPORT CARD FOR WKU GAME

Quarterback (Vizza): F

Receiving Corps: D

Rushing Game (Jamario): A+

Offensive Line: B-

Defense: B-

Special Teams: A-

Game Ball: Running back Jamario Thomas

It turns out not all is lost. On Saturday Western Kentucky did its best job to sour NT's Senior Night with continued classless acts of flagrant disrespect, which resulted in a brief post-game confrontation between the two teams. But NT was not about to be denied as it fought through WKU's antics to seal the Mean Green's second victory of the season.

Senior running back Jamario Thomas jumped into his secret time machine Saturday and treated what seemed like a few hundred fans on a cold, rainy late afternoon to arguably his best performance ever, earning him the final Game Ball of the season.

"It meant the world to me in my last game," Thomas said. "This is one of my best games ever."

NT (2-9) edged past WKU (7-5), 27-26 in front of the smallest home crowd of the season as only a few thousand fans witnessed Thomas' final return to glory.

Gone was the mediocre, injured-plagued Thomas of his sophomore, junior and senior year. Present was the freshman year Super Jamario, who led the nation in rushing in NT's final Sun Belt Conference Championship season of 2004.

In his gutsy final Fouts Field performance, Thomas rushed for three touchdowns and 147 yards. It was his 13th 100-yard game of his career and his first game with three touchdowns since his freshman season. Thomas will end his NT career in next week's game comfortably in second place all-time in rushing yards behind Patrick Cobbs.

Thomas' Saturday performance was something head coach Todd Dodge said he will never forget.

"I really love that kid and I'm so proud," Dodge said. "He was the guy tonight and he really stepped up. That last touchdown run he put the team on his back and it was a huge touchdown for us."

Thomas was a big reason NT won as the horrid weather conditions dealt a major blow to NT's passing attack. Vizza had one of his poorest showings of the season, missing on over half of his attempts, finishing 20-of-42 with three interceptions and three sacks.

WKU scored off of Vizza's first two interceptions, which were in part due to a combination of a wet ball and Vizza's attempt to wear gloves, which he soon took off.

Even with a subpar passing attack, star wide receiver Casey Fitzgerald managed to make an impact with 80 receiving yards off only eight catches. Junior Brock Stickler was a distant second with only 38 receiving yards followed by all other receivers.

Then there was the game within the game. Even before Saturday's kickoff, the Hilltoppers began what would quickly turn into a pattern of deliberate classless acts which eventually came back to bite them in the end, rightfully costing them the game.

WKU is on provisional status this season and won't become an official NCAA Sun Belt Conference team until 2008.

Many Mean Green players were shocked that a team serving a provisional status would purposely stir up so much trouble in the first-ever meeting between the two schools.

"They weren't very classy," said senior defensive end Montey Stevenson. "They were jumping around on our 50-yard line as we were doing our pregame preparation. They were hoisting their helmets in the air and spinning towels and joking around and saying a few choice words. It was ridiculous, so we just kept fighting and got the win."

The Hilltoppers had 11 penalties for a total of 118 yards. WKU even had numerous unsportsmanlike conduct penalties called against them, including two on the same play.

After scoring a touchdown, the WKU players circled around one another in the end zone and performed a popular "bomb" celebration where they collapse after a tossed football hits the ground.

That resulted in an excessive celebration penalty which cost WKU the game as it added 15 yards to their ensuing point-after-touchdown attempt, which their kicker missed.

If WKU had scored the extra point, the game would have eventually gone into overtime with a 27-27 tie.

However, their pride got the best of them and they paid for it as their kicker was unable to tack on the extra point, which wound up making all the difference in the world as NT remained calm throughout the game and earned it's second win the entire way.

After the game, the tense situation which had been brewing all game long came to a head as the two teams exchanged words and a few blows at midfield. Minutes passed before both teams were able to separate themselves and head off to their locker rooms.

Many of the NT players said WKU's antics fueled them to win the game that much more, making it personal, making it more than just a football game.

"When I got tattooed across the middle and they were doing their talking, I was like, 'You're going to have to come harder than that,'" said senior wide receiver Brandon Jackson.

The Mean Green let their football play do their talking for them. NT's defense had a rare solid performance, with an admirable job of stopping WKU when it mattered most.

Although it did bend many times throughout the game, NT's defense didn't break as it allowed only six second-half points.

In a season in which it has contributed very little, NT's special teams had its best showing of the year, forcing a blocked punt for a touchdown and a fumble recovery to start the second half.

"Of our three units, special teams was huge tonight, when you talk about what they did," Dodge said.

After NT got its win, the players said they felt vindicated for enduring WKU's constant abuses.

"It was real sweet. Especially with all the noise and crap they were talking for us to get the victory and say, 'Alright, go home, it's your loss,'" Jackson said.

On top of all the performances that led to the victory-Thomas, NT's defense and NT's special teams-it was the lack of action that truly earned NT the win as the Mean Green refused to give in to their natural emotions and mimic the Hilltoppers' deplorable behavior.

"We've had so many locker rooms this year where you come in and there's not a whole lot to say because you're dejected and you love your kids and you hurt for them," Dodge said. "But today we celebrated and we really let it out. When you're a competitor you need to enjoy the wins as much as those losses rip your heart out."

Dodge has stressed all season long that he wants to teach these young men how to build character just as much as how to win. Saturday we saw proof positive that he has achieved just that as NT was able to bring both character and winning together.

It was a sweet victory NT and especially the seniors playing in their final home game should relish whenever they think back to their college days.

"It feels as good to win this one as it did terrible to lose some of the others," Dodge said.

In an historic season full of misery and turmoil, there was a single light of all that is good with college athletics shining brightly from Fouts Field early Saturday evening as Coach Dodge and his players showed that winning with class never goes out of style.

NOTE: Since The North Texas Daily does not run during dead week and finals week, there won't be a Game Ball recapping the season's final game when NT opposes Florida International University on the road this Saturday.

For the season, the Game Ball totals are as follows:

3 Game Balls:

WR Casey Fitzgerald

2 Game Balls:

RB Jamario Thomas, QB Giovanni Vizza, the entire starting defense

1 Game Ball:

WR Sam Dibrell, WR Brandon Jackson, QB Daniel Meager

I hope you have enjoyed reading this weekly column as much as I have enjoyed writing it.

Thanks.

-RCW.

I love all the talk about winning by one point, but we went for 2 on one of the TDs. If we had kicked the extra point then the score would have been 28-26. If they didn't the grenade thing and made the extra point it would have been 28-27. There was little chance of a tie.

Edited by Green92

On top of all the performances that led to the victory-Thomas, NT's defense and NT's special teams-it was the lack of action that truly earned NT the win as the Mean Green refused to give in to their natural emotions and mimic the Hilltoppers' deplorable behavior.

Ummm, that's not exactly a true statement.

REPORT CARD FOR WKU GAME

..........Note to the fish wrap writer......................

Don't give that grade to our QB, he might pull a Mendoza. The WR's are looking for you now, they are going to hold u down.

And next season when Riley starts, don't give Rodge a failing grade because TD and Mendoza BOTH will be coming after you.

Of course, I'm kidding. I am in no way advocating violence. (all my posts will now have disclaimers) too many take this board way too seriously.

Edited by Dodge2007

GAME BALL (Final Edition: NT beats classless WKU)

a weekly column by Richard White

Richard White

Issue date: 11/27/07 Section: OPINION

Classless WKU can't spoil NT's last laugh

REPORT CARD FOR WKU GAME

Game Ball: Running back Jamario Thomas

It turns out not all is lost. On Saturday Western Kentucky did its best job to sour NT's Senior Night with continued classless acts of flagrant disrespect, which resulted in a brief post-game confrontation between the two teams. But NT was not about to be denied as it fought through WKU's antics to seal the Mean Green's second victory of the season.

Senior running back Jamario Thomas jumped into his secret time machine Saturday and treated what seemed like a few hundred fans on a cold, rainy late afternoon to arguably his best performance ever, earning him the final Game Ball of the season.

"It meant the world to me in my last game," Thomas said. "This is one of my best games ever."

NT (2-9) edged past WKU (7-5), 27-26 in front of the smallest home crowd of the season as only a few thousand fans witnessed Thomas' final return to glory.

Gone was the mediocre, injured-plagued Thomas of his sophomore, junior and senior year. Present was the freshman year Super Jamario, who led the nation in rushing in NT's final Sun Belt Conference Championship season of 2004.

In his gutsy final Fouts Field performance, Thomas rushed for three touchdowns and 147 yards. It was his 13th 100-yard game of his career and his first game with three touchdowns since his freshman season. Thomas will end his NT career in next week's game comfortably in second place all-time in rushing yards behind Patrick Cobbs.

Thomas' Saturday performance was something head coach Todd Dodge said he will never forget.

"I really love that kid and I'm so proud," Dodge said. "He was the guy tonight and he really stepped up. That last touchdown run he put the team on his back and it was a huge touchdown for us."

Thomas was a big reason NT won as the horrid weather conditions dealt a major blow to NT's passing attack. Vizza had one of his poorest showings of the season, missing on over half of his attempts, finishing 20-of-42 with three interceptions and three sacks.

WKU scored off of Vizza's first two interceptions, which were in part due to a combination of a wet ball and Vizza's attempt to wear gloves, which he soon took off.

Even with a subpar passing attack, star wide receiver Casey Fitzgerald managed to make an impact with 80 receiving yards off only eight catches. Junior Brock Stickler was a distant second with only 38 receiving yards followed by all other receivers.

Then there was the game within the game. Even before Saturday's kickoff, the Hilltoppers began what would quickly turn into a pattern of deliberate classless acts which eventually came back to bite them in the end, rightfully costing them the game.

WKU is on provisional status this season and won't become an official NCAA Sun Belt Conference team until 2008.

Many Mean Green players were shocked that a team serving a provisional status would purposely stir up so much trouble in the first-ever meeting between the two schools.

"They weren't very classy," said senior defensive end Montey Stevenson. "They were jumping around on our 50-yard line as we were doing our pregame preparation. They were hoisting their helmets in the air and spinning towels and joking around and saying a few choice words. It was ridiculous, so we just kept fighting and got the win."

The Hilltoppers had 11 penalties for a total of 118 yards. WKU even had numerous unsportsmanlike conduct penalties called against them, including two on the same play.

After scoring a touchdown, the WKU players circled around one another in the end zone and performed a popular "bomb" celebration where they collapse after a tossed football hits the ground.

That resulted in an excessive celebration penalty which cost WKU the game as it added 15 yards to their ensuing point-after-touchdown attempt, which their kicker missed.

If WKU had scored the extra point, the game would have eventually gone into overtime with a 27-27 tie.

However, their pride got the best of them and they paid for it as their kicker was unable to tack on the extra point, which wound up making all the difference in the world as NT remained calm throughout the game and earned it's second win the entire way.

After the game, the tense situation which had been brewing all game long came to a head as the two teams exchanged words and a few blows at midfield. Minutes passed before both teams were able to separate themselves and head off to their locker rooms.

Many of the NT players said WKU's antics fueled them to win the game that much more, making it personal, making it more than just a football game.

"When I got tattooed across the middle and they were doing their talking, I was like, 'You're going to have to come harder than that,'" said senior wide receiver Brandon Jackson.

The Mean Green let their football play do their talking for them. NT's defense had a rare solid performance, with an admirable job of stopping WKU when it mattered most.

Although it did bend many times throughout the game, NT's defense didn't break as it allowed only six second-half points.

In a season in which it has contributed very little, NT's special teams had its best showing of the year, forcing a blocked punt for a touchdown and a fumble recovery to start the second half.

"Of our three units, special teams was huge tonight, when you talk about what they did," Dodge said.

After NT got its win, the players said they felt vindicated for enduring WKU's constant abuses.

"It was real sweet. Especially with all the noise and crap they were talking for us to get the victory and say, 'Alright, go home, it's your loss,'" Jackson said.

"We've had so many locker rooms this year where you come in and there's not a whole lot to say because you're dejected and you love your kids and you hurt for them," Dodge said. "But today we celebrated and we really let it out. When you're a competitor you need to enjoy the wins as much as those losses rip your heart out."

Dodge has stressed all season long that he wants to teach these young men how to build character just as much as how to win. Saturday we saw proof positive that he has achieved just that as NT was able to bring both character and winning together.

It was a sweet victory NT and especially the seniors playing in their final home game should relish whenever they think back to their college days.

"It feels as good to win this one as it did terrible to lose some of the others," Dodge said.

In an historic season full of misery and turmoil, there was a single light of all that is good with college athletics shining brightly from Fouts Field early Saturday evening as Coach Dodge and his players showed that winning with class never goes out of style.

NOTE: Since The North Texas Daily does not run during dead week and finals week, there won't be a Game Ball recapping the season's final game when NT opposes Florida International University on the road this Saturday.

For the season, the Game Ball totals are as follows:

3 Game Balls:

WR Casey Fitzgerald

2 Game Balls:

RB Jamario Thomas, QB Giovanni Vizza, the entire starting defense

1 Game Ball:

WR Sam Dibrell, WR Brandon Jackson, QB Daniel Meager

I hope you have enjoyed reading this weekly column as much as I have enjoyed writing it.

Thanks.

-RCW.

An " F " is a little harsh I guess you wern't at the game they were blitzing our QB and was pounding the hell out of him!