Seriously...

NCMeanGreen

...because there should be.

I do not disagree that the O played a conservative game, for the most part, with a few questionable calls. For instance, why not go for it on 4th and 5????

However...THAT WAS PATHETIC!!! GROW SOME BALLS DEFENSE!!!

To let them march down like that...PATHETIC!!!

Also, what is with that D scheme? Was THAT the "prevent" D??? If so, the ONLY thing they prevented was a win! Why not try some aggression for a change?

Next time, Mendoza, why even bother risking player injury...just take them off the field and let the opposing O march it right down. That would be more efficient...and definitely JUST as effective. Try that instead...

This is one game where I won't post about the defensive horror.

The truth is, the defense played well enough to win for the first 58+ minutes of the game. I know, I know...it's a 60 minute ball game. But, hear me out.

First, it's a total cop out to say these players aren't good enough just because Dodge didn't recruit them. Aaron Weathers, anyone? Jeremiah Chapman. Eddrick Gilmore. Craig Robertson. These guys can play. Weathers left it out on the field last night. He damn near beat ASU all by himself. Without him, the halftime score is maybe 14-10, with us clinging to the four point lead and losing momentum a la the Navy game.

That being said, for whatever reason, this group of upperclassmen didn't buy into what their new coaches were selling. Is it more their fault or the coaching staff's fault? Probably both. The point is, they didn't wholly buy into it and it showed the whole season.

Second, although I currently think the entire defensive staff needs to be replaced, I say wait a year. If the next group of guys does buy into what these coaches are selling, things could get pretty good. The defense shows bits and pieces here and there of doing good things.

That being said, if it doesn't happen next year for the defense, everyone's got to go. The coordinator, the line coach, the secondary coach, etc. All of them. And, at that point, there should be a requirement to hire only coaches with several years of collegiate experience. This learning curve can't go longer than two seasons.

Edited by The Fake Lonnie Finch

The fire mendoza thing is rediculous. It is a lot like telling someone they are fat or they are ugly. Those folks live like that and they KNOW it. Coach Dodge knows his defense has to be fixed and you all are just making negative waves that feed back to our recruits. It is just short sided to think that all this anger will give you power to change things. I am so tired of it. First year coach, that likes to win and has to teach a new offense.

Lay off Mendoza. He has been humiliated and he knows it. Things will change for the better.

The fire mendoza thing is rediculous. It is a lot like telling someone they are fat or they are ugly. Those folks live like that and they KNOW it. Coach Dodge knows his defense has to be fixed and you all are just making negative waves that feed back to our recruits. It is just short sided to think that all this anger will give you power to change things. I am so tired of it. First year coach, that likes to win and has to teach a new offense.

Lay off Mendoza. He has been humiliated and he knows it. Things will change for the better.

Thank you shutter.

All this negative talk about fire mendoza hurts the program's recruiting. Trust Todd Dodge to do what is best for the program.

Mendoza is a BAD DC. Negative talk about him is to be expected, and doesn't hurt recruiting.

News Flash - THIS IS COLLEGE FOOTBALL. If you don't perform, you will be reviewed critically by Fans and the Press. Part of the gig, and passionate fans demanding changes for the better will not turn off the recruits we want at UNT.

I second that, Shutter, the most educated, well thought out idea of the evening.

I am not worried about Mendoza's feelings or anything. It just so dang clear that it just like the old beating a dead horse thing. It is just so obvious that a fire Mendoza web site would be a cliche and a bad one at that. It is just short sighted and a waste of time thinking about it. Dang, it is my fault for reading the board and then getting bummed and then sending a reply.

I am just tied.

www.firemendoza.com

...I need to update it... I created it weeks ago after the FFR incident, and then had the entire board jump my ass, so I removed the link.

...I'll get to updatin' it this weekend. :) WHEE!

Please do not. Todd Dodge has had a trying enough year. He and RV will make whatever changes are necessary; a website will not affect such decisions one way or the other. If your goal is to embarrass our football program and coaching staff, by all means proceed; and the rest of you keep posting vitriolic posts toward the coaching staff. It is one thing to point out that we have problems, it is another to say, "Ron Mendoza s*cks," etc. He took a chance by coming here, and very well may not be here next year. If you believe you have insight that would be helpful to TD and RV's decision making, by all means, contact them personally. But let's not go all out to publicly embarrass our program.

I saw the most improvement from one game to the next, and with a short work week to boot, than I have seen in quite some time. It was obvious that changes were made this week, trying different schemes and for the most part it worked. Although on that last drive you hate to see a prevent defense we still had the right people in position to win that game with two passes hitting people right in the hands. Had it not been until the final drive our defense would have held ASU to under 400 total yards. NT's defense got 8 stops on the night and performed well enough to have won.

I look at it this way. You always find out what kind of person you have when they are under extreme adversity and pressure and coach Mendoza has been under the gun as much as you possibly can as a football coach. And to me we found out this week what he and his staff are made of. They didn't get down after last weeks track meet but rather responded with a quality game plan this week against what most tabbed as one of the two best teams in the conference and nearly came out of their house with a win. This week was a vast improvement I hope we can build on and I expect we will.

Rick

Kind of reminds me of that song..."the future's so bright, I gotta wear shades"

Well, it's either the "future" or the rays of sunshine coming out of some of ya'll's arses!

I think it is extremely fair and valid to question this team in certain areas. First of all, who would question anyone who shows interest and/or concern for this program??? Those that do show concern...is it totally without merit???

This team should have more than 1 win, plain and simple.

As I have been known to say, "It is not black, it is not white, it is not gray...it is Green"

Mendoza is a BAD DC. Negative talk about him is to be expected, and doesn't hurt recruiting.

News Flash - THIS IS COLLEGE FOOTBALL. If you don't perform, you will be reviewed critically by Fans and the Press. Part of the gig, and passionate fans demanding changes for the better will not turn off the recruits we want at UNT.

You talk like a coach just caps his knowledge after a certain amount of time? This has been a horrid season for him and this defense. Give them one more year to show if they can learn from these mistakes, then wipe the slate clean.

Not showing improvement from one game to the next? I can't really argue with that, although Rick is saying this Arkie game was much better. Point being, he needs an offseason to prove that he is willing to re-evaluate, attend workshops/camps, etc...

If 2008 is just a repeat, no more excuses.

The fire mendoza thing is rediculous. It is a lot like telling someone they are fat or they are ugly. Those folks live like that and they KNOW it. ... Lay off Mendoza. He has been humiliated and he knows it. Things will change for the better.

Your analogy is weird. You can know you are fat and still avoid losing weight.

The analogy comes from stating the obvious. I am fat, It does no good for someone to inform me of the fact. Those folks cant lose weight for me. Our D is the worst in D1 and Todd Dodge knows it already. We don't need a web site to bring attention to it. It is just silly. I believe our first year coach will be doing what ever he can to fix our Defense.

The analogy comes from stating the obvious. I am fat, It does no good for someone to inform me of the fact. Those folks cant lose weight for me. Our D is the worst in D1 and Todd Dodge knows it already. We don't need a web site to bring attention to it. It is just silly. I believe our first year coach will be doing what ever he can to fix our Defense.

But you might be humilated enough to get your fat butt off the couch and out to a gym!

Maybe Dodge will be humilated enough (, 1-11, losing recruits) to make a change!!!!

I just got back into town from Jonesboro, and I didn't really want to post right after the game. You are all correct in saying that the defense played better last night. However, there are three things that I have seen ALL YEAR that really make me nauseus about the coaching on that side of the ball. First, on every passing play our conerbacks play ten yards off of the receiver. I know we play our safeties shallow, but EVERY TIME? Mix it up once in a while. Secondly, if we EVER bring more than the four down lineman on any kind of stunt package I think I would faint dead away. There was only occasional heat on the QB last night because of coverage. Third, whatever coach who invented prevent defense ought to be blotted out of the pages of football forever. As soon as I saw the eight deep coverage, I knew they would take it right down the field, even with no timeouts.

Face it, it would have been much worse had they caught at least seven passes that hit them right in the hands. Even the most inexperienced coaches make adjustments once the original game plan has been found out. Why, oh why, don't we?

Edited by Pierow 2

You talk like a coach just caps his knowledge after a certain amount of time? This has been a horrid season for him and this defense. Give them one more year to show if they can learn from these mistakes, then wipe the slate clean.

Not showing improvement from one game to the next? I can't really argue with that, although Rick is saying this Arkie game was much better. Point being, he needs an offseason to prove that he is willing to re-evaluate, attend workshops/camps, etc...

If 2008 is just a repeat, no more excuses.

My problem with your argument is this - A DC with real experience could come in here NOW and be light years beyond where he is going to be if we give him two years, even if he improves some (one has to take into consideration what improvements we have seen week to week in order to gauge what another year is really going to net us...). IMHO, of course. Coach's don't 180 historically, and that's what we need here. We don't need SOME improvement... we need a totally different style, difference schemes, and ABSOLUETLY need a different situation during practice... like no more touch football during practice.

We just need a college level DC, we really do. Going to be a sad year next year if we're sitting at the end of the season having this same conversation. What makes ANYONE think we aren't with this DC