Kudos To The Offense

H-towngreen

Yes, this offense is amazing!

When was the last time a NT fan truely believed NT will score everytime

the offense has the ball, and be able to score in 4 plays or less.

Work down the field, making first down after first down!

WOW! This is just the begining!

Isn't this great!

Yep, as long as we play terrible defenses, we'll be able to score a lot of points. Otherwise, we'll be around the bottom 20 offensive powerhouse we were before Navy.

Wow! Way to piss in our Cherrios.

I didn't think we were close to being a "bottom 20" offense before the Navy game. What is your source on this claim?

Wow! Way to piss in our Cherrios.

I didn't think we were close to being a "bottom 20" offense before the Navy game. What is your source on this claim?

1) The NCAA statistics. For the entire season, we ranked from 103-109 in scoring until Navy. I believe we were at 103 before the Navy game. We did rack up a lot of passing yards, thanks to a ridiculous number of possessions, a passing offense (just like Flanigan's offenses were usually ranked high in rushing, because we ran the ball all the time), and a D that didn't allow any long drives because people score in like 30 seconds (hey, more opportunities for the O to accumulate meaningless stats!)

2) Our gratuitous turnover differential. Not just an indictment on our D's inability to get stops or pressure. Throwing a bunch of interceptions and fumbling the ball away do not make for a productive offense, I don't care how many yards we put up between the 20s.

3) Backing out of field goal range. I don't have a final count, and it would take a while to compile, but I believe it's at least 6 or 7 times this year we've been in FG range, thrown negative yard screens and gotten sacked to move out of FG range. I know we did it at least 3 times in one game, so the number could be as high as 9 or 10 I would think.

Our offense seems to be getting better, but we just played the WORST PASSING DEFENSE IN THE COUNTRY. Our boys executed. They did exactly what they were supposed to. They did a great job. But until they can regularly put up points on teams other than SMU and Navy, I'll withhold effusive praise about how this offense, which could barely score against Troy or ULM, turned the ball over 5 times vs. the MUTS, 4 times vs. ULL, 3 times vs. FAU, etc..

We were an excellent offensive team well before Navy. It's been a great ride on that side of a ball, and once the D gets its act togeter (probably without Mendoza) we'll really be terrifying in the future. Good job to everyone on that side of the ball. It's refreshing.

It's true that our teams productivity has not shown up on the scoreboard this year, but this is a brand new offense and a young team. It will be awhile until the scoring and turnover situation settles down. It will take maturity to learn how to play all 4 and hold onto a lead (such maturity probably would have won us three games this year all by itself).

This is year one. Don't expect the New England Patriots yet.

Edited by Legend500

I think once the fog and shroud of what we've had for almost a decade slowly disipates, most who don't keep trying to hang their hats on bottom quadrant NCAA D1-A football we've had most of the last 2 decades will eventually like our future new higher profile intercollegiate football neighborhood.

What still sets me back a bit is how some still want to resurrect past UNT coaches from some of our past losing programs back to Denton as if they had played some kind of key role in giving us a Boise State-like BCS Championship Bowl or Top 25 program.

And what was the Navy offenses national ranking before our game last Satuday? Just curious...

And what was the Navy offenses national ranking before our game last Satuday? Just curious...

I know they had the #1 rushing offense (and still do), but I think their offensive scoring was also pretty high. I seem to recall them being very good everywhere but passing yards, though their passing EFFICIENCY was really high as well. I could be wrong on some of that as I've slept since then. Barring any illumination regarding this, the Navy game went pretty much exactly as expected:

Navy = GOOD offense/ BAD defense

UNT = BAD offense/ BAD defense

Two of the worst Ds in the nation squared off, but Navy with the better O = shootout with Navy on top and a ridiculous number of points scored.