Casey Fitzgerald

WIFE2HOT4U

DENTON -- From seemingly out of nowhere, North Texas junior Casey Fitzgerald has forced the Sun Belt Conference to pay attention.

Fitzgerald's league-high 64 catches and 892 yards have him on track to all-conference honors. But if he keeps it up, does the former walk-on and special-teams player deserve more?

At UNT, Fitzgerald essentially plays in a vacuum. He lacks the benefit of national television or a big-name football school on his jersey. His story would play well nationally -- he wasn't recruited out of high school (Red Oak), had five catches before this season and even spent time on UNT's scout team.

"I just play to play," Fitzgerald said when asked if he felt any national recognition to be unreasonable. "If it happens, great. If not, I wouldn't be disappointed at all. We're a small school. I understand. It's what it is."

Fitzgerald is one of three players in the Bowl Subdivision's top five in receptions per game (third at 9.1), receiving yards per game (fifth at 127.4), catches (fifth) and yards (fourth). Texas Tech's Michael Crabtree (88 catches) and Kansas State's Jordy Nelson (68) are the others.

Last week, ballots to pare the Biletnikoff Award watch list to 10 semifinalists were due. A second vote to select three finalists for the honor as the nation's top receiver is next month.

Making the final 10 would be a victory for Fitzgerald and UNT in a tough season (1-6, 1-3 Sun Belt). One voter, Star-Telegram writer Jimmy Burch, said Fitzgerald made his ballot.

But fan out geographically, and Fitzgerald's chances shrink.

"I don't know why that would be," UNT coach Todd Dodge said of Fitzgerald possibly being overlooked. "Obviously, we could probably help that out by winning more games. He's having a fantastic year."

Last week at Troy, Fitzgerald probably had his worst game with six catches for 47 yards and no touchdowns. He has four 100-yard receiving games, including an 18-catch, 327-yard performance against SMU. He turned a 4-yard pass into a 99-yard TD against Louisiana-Monroe.

Against Oklahoma, Arkansas and Florida Atlantic, Fitzgerald had a combined 20 catches. Good numbers, but not as outstanding as Fitzgerald's touchdowns (six) and yards per catch (13.94) in those games.

Biletnikoff voter Ken Gordon of the Columbus (Ohio) Dispatch said he lacked such knowledge or even Fitzgerald's name.

Gordon went off the original, unadjusted watch list that didn't include Fitzgerald or other newcomers such as Crabtree.

Said Dodge: "If anybody came to see him play and really watched him, they'd appreciated how complete he is, from being a possession guy to taking a short catch the distance or catching a long one over the top."

Making his name

Where North Texas receiver Casey Fitzgerald ranks in various national categories:

Category Stat Rank Leader Stat

Receptions 64 Fifth M. Crabtree, Texas Tech 88

Receptions/gm. 9.1 Third Crabtree 11.0

Rec. yds. 892 Fourth Crabtree 1,320

Rec. yds./gm. 127.4 Fifth Crabtree 165.0

NORTH TEXAS VS. MIDDLE TENNESSEE, 6 P.M. SATURDAY

Sadly i feel that in reputaion, especially athletically, nationwide we are a small school. The fact that we have 30000 + students not withstanding.

"....At UNT, Fitzgerald essentially plays in a vacuum. He lacks the benefit of national television or a big-name football school on his jersey.....Fitzgerald said when asked if he felt any national recognition to be unreasonable. "If it happens, great. If not, I wouldn't be disappointed at all. We're a small school. I understand. It's what it is...."

I believe Fitz mis-spoke. I think he means small-name football school as opposed to small school. Not that school size matters anyway with football programs (it's more about conference affiliation), but with 35,000 students UNT would be in the Top 50 schools by size in 1-A.

It's actually funny how many universities are judged by media and perspective students to be "large" in size just because of a good football team. Also, their academic programs receive better reputations based on the status of football and conference.

If UNT could suddenly "buy" it's way into the Big 12 we would overnight move up to a Tier 2 school.

Edited by NT80

"....At UNT, Fitzgerald essentially plays in a vacuum. He lacks the benefit of national television or a big-name football school on his jersey.....Fitzgerald said when asked if he felt any national recognition to be unreasonable. "If it happens, great. If not, I wouldn't be disappointed at all. We're a small school. I understand. It's what it is...."

I believe Fitz mis-spoke. I think he means small-name football school as opposed to small school. Not that school size matters anyway with football programs (it's more about conference affiliation), but with 35,000 students UNT would be in the Top 50 schools by size in 1-A.

It's actually funny how many universities are judged by media and perspective students to be "large" in size just because of a good football team. Also, their academic programs receive better reputations based on the status of football and conference.

If UNT could suddenly "buy" it's way into the Big 12 we would overnight move up to a Tier 2 school.

Hope Casey gets some recognition, he deserves it.

And I think if we were in the big 12 we would be the third largest behind ut and a2m.

Guest 97and03

Hope Casey gets some recognition, he deserves it.

And I think if we were in the big 12 we would be the third largest behind ut and a2m.

I know that schools that have Heisman hopefuls send out media kits to drive up interest in their player.

I wonder if UNT is doing anything similar to boost his chances of making the list of 10 semifinalists? Certainly would help to raise the profile of UNT a little and might help Fitzgerald's draft stock a bit.

I know that schools that have Heisman hopefuls send out media kits to drive up interest in their player.

I wonder if UNT is doing anything similar to boost his chances of making the list of 10 semifinalists? Certainly would help to raise the profile of UNT a little and might help Fitzgerald's draft stock a bit.

Well...it does not really matter now, as he did not make the list.