Frustration At Student Ignorance

UNTflyer

Is average student #17 going to have more respect for Alabama-Birmingham, South Floirda, and Tulane than Louisana-Monroe, Florida Atlantic, and Troy ?

GO MEAN GREEN-BEAT ARKANSAS

FYI---South Florida is in the Big East now. Central Florida is in C-USA (and yes, it is confusing; I had to look it up to make sure).

Please don't call them knowledgeable football fans if they get the Southland and the Sun Belt confused.

It would be like NMSU, Idaho and USU with the WAC. It would be tasty at first and we would all pound our chests about being in CUSA (whatever) and then we would still need to do what we need to do today - bloody WIN.

Get the W's and watch the sheep flock to Fouts.

GMG

I need to express my disgust with the student section at the FAU game. I heard our 'fans' over and over again bashing our team. I heard idiots yell things like 'we suck' and 'meager you suck'. I dont understand this...its like our 'fans' are waiting for us to suck and make mistakes so they can say things like this. Is is cool to bash your team and school like this?? I wish these people would just stay home.

Our fans are the most CLASSLESS fans I have been around. They start the Bullsh** chant when we legitimately fouled someone. Then at the end of the game after we had just gotten beat these two dorks with paint saying 'Eat Sh**' start trying to talk crap to FAU. Gimme a break.

Then I was disappointed in the lack of communication between the cheerleaders and the fans and the band. Our fans have no idea how to chant, when to chant, or what to chant.

Sadly our games are like an average Highschool game.

And yes maybe we'll have a winning record against CUSA this season, but this isn't going to get people to our games or on board with the Mean Green because as you can tell from talking to people no one has heard of any of the sunbelt teams. Yeah Troy beat OSU, who cares. The average fan isnt going to come to the game because of that. If you got the program at the game they listed the top all time attendance at Fouts field, only one was against a Sunbelt team and it was last and it was against NMst (which jumped ship on our conference) for the conference championship. I think this is proof enough that the UNT students really only care about who we play and not what our sunbelt opponents records are.

Someone mentioned that the students in their class didn't know much about UNT football and other people said they prob. don't know much about anything. Well I can almost guarantee you that they know whats going on at UT or ATM or Tech.

Also, someone mentioned winning will get the fans involved: It can't hurt but it wont be enough to get the average fan to come. How many conference championships have we won??? And we still had this problem. Only then it was 'why would I want to come watch we're just going to win.'

Edited by Daddy Dumpsalot

I need to express my disgust with the student section at the FAU game. I heard our 'fans' over and over again bashing our team. I heard idiots yell things like 'we suck' and 'meager you suck'. I dont understand this...its like our 'fans' are waiting for us to suck and make mistakes so they can say things like this. Is is cool to bash your team and school like this?? I wish these people would just stay home.

Our fans are the most CLASSLESS fans I have been around. They start the Bullsh** chant when we legitimately fouled someone. Then at the end of the game after we had just gotten beat these two dorks with paint saying 'Eat Sh**' start trying to talk crap to FAU. Gimme a break.

Then I was disappointed in the lack of communication between the cheerleaders and the fans and the band. Our fans have no idea how to chant, when to chant, or what to chant.

Sadly our games are like an average Highschool game.

And yes maybe we'll have a winning record against CUSA this season, but this isn't going to get people to our games or on board with the Mean Green because as you can tell from talking to people no one has heard of any of the sunbelt teams. Yeah Troy beat OSU, who cares. The average fan isnt going to come to the game because of that. If you got the program at the game they listed the top all time attendance at Fouts field, only one was against a Sunbelt team and it was last and it was against NMst (which jumped ship on our conference) for the conference championship. I think this is proof enough that the UNT students really only care about who we play and not what our sunbelt opponents records are.

Someone mentioned that the students in their class didn't know much about UNT football and other people said they prob. don't know much about anything. Well I can almost guarantee you that they know whats going on at UT or ATM or Tech.

Also, someone mentioned winning will get the fans involved: It can't hurt but it wont be enough to get the average fan to come. How many conference championships have we won??? And we still had this problem. Only then it was 'why would I want to come watch we're just going to win.'

It is my opinion that most students are classless everywhere. They chanted bull shit for plays they didn't like. Happens everywhere, and it shows how truly stupid someone is. The cheerleaders were leading a chant ON OFFENSE. Our fans YELL on OFFENSE. I'll agree we have one of the most uneducated fan bases, but as for students being more classless than another school, I don't know. I'd say it's about equal. It might just be because you sit on that side, i don't know. But I'll have to agree, every single time I go, I find myself in awe of the stupidity on that side even though I like sitting there because they stand up and cheer.

After the students figure out what it means to be a good fan, and after they live a little longer, hopefully they will realize how dumb they were. If they don't bother to figure out what's happening at UNT they probably don't give a damn about whats happening at UT or in college football.

I've always noticed this about our fans. When I went to UT for the game against them, and went to other games, the opposing bands had other songs to play besides the fight song. And the students knew where to cheer. There are smart fans out there, like me, Michael, Josh and Trey, who go out, paint our faces, cheer for our team at the right time. Sadly, this is what you get when you go to an arts school.

I'd also like to point out, this is Texas and most people in our graduating classes went to one of the following: UT, A&M, Tech, Baylor, OU, OSU, KU, Mizzou, Arkansas, SMU/TCU. We get a lot of the kids who were near the bottom of their class, and dont care about anything. Some come from successful high schools and hate losing, so they transfer. So, a smarter student body= smarter, and more creative fans. And yes, you can bash me for this post.

I remember during homecoming too, when the Texas-OU game was on. Most of my friends didnt bother to participate in the pregame festivities/go into the game for the first quarter as the game was still goin on. Once we start winning, and winning big against teams that everyone in Texas recognizes, then you'll see a chance. It takes time.

I bet for basketball we have at least 7000 against OSU.

It is my opinion that most students are classless everywhere. They chanted bull shit for plays they didn't like. Happens everywhere, and it shows how truly stupid someone is. The cheerleaders were leading a chant ON OFFENSE. Our fans YELL on OFFENSE. I'll agree we have one of the most uneducated fan bases, but as for students being more classless than another school, I don't know. I'd say it's about equal. It might just be because you sit on that side, i don't know. But I'll have to agree, every single time I go, I find myself in awe of the stupidity on that side even though I like sitting there because they stand up and cheer.

After the students figure out what it means to be a good fan, and after they live a little longer, hopefully they will realize how dumb they were. If they don't bother to figure out what's happening at UNT they probably don't give a damn about whats happening at UT or in college football.

I said that. Something to remember (and something that's easy to forget) is that the students who were around when we won those conference championships are no longer here. The students who are now juniors and seniors are accustomed to having a losing football team. They don't want to come out because they don't think they're going to see anything good. They make fun of those of us with school spirit, and they don't feel that "game day" has any special meaning.

There are student groups on campus which promote the HELL out of our athletic teams. We do more work than has ever been done on this campus. But, as the soccer team proves, we can only do so much. Those girls are winning, and the stands are filled with almost NO advertising. The football program is the same way. The only difference is people don't wonder why we spend millions per year on the soccer team the way they wonder about the football team.