Tennis Signs Two More Great Players

This is from meangreensports.com.

I guess that both of these young ladies will have to sit out this season. Right? Anyway, I love the attitude of the assistant coach who is quoted.

Here's the story:

http://www.meangreensports.com/ViewArticle...;ATCLID=1151548

Actuallty in Tennis they are eligible immediately. There is a 1 transfer rule in place that allows a player if released from scholarship at previous school to begin play immediately. Transfer are way to common in Tennis but the rules allow one transfer to another NCAA school during a players 4 years.

Should be a great team this coming year. To bad two of last years players chose not to return.

Also not to rain on anyone's parade but the website is not comprehensive, they only include those who have signed up for or submitted information.

I think the Team should be able to crack the Top 75 this year, but will ahve stiff competition from USA, FIU, and Denver for a Top 50 spot in the nation. Top 75 would be a very respectable ranking considering where the program has been sitting for the past 5-10 years.

I think last year players that chose not to return may have concluded that their chance to play would be slim. I wonder why it takes NT so long to announce these signings. They have been on the NT roster for weeks and probably signed lone before that. I doubt the new staff cares much about mid major ratings. I thought it was rather lamb when the swimming coach last year touted NT being rated in this poll. As stated it does not even include all the schools that by whatever criteria have been relegated to Mid-Major status.

Anyone have any guess on what NT seeding will be this year? My early completely ignorant guess.

1. Ranaganathan

2. Cruz

3. Franca

4. Joubert

5. Moreton

6. Wilhelm

Edited by GrandGreen

I think last year players that chose not to return may have concluded that their chance to play would be slim. I wonder why it takes NT so long to announce these signings. They have been on the NT roster for weeks and probably signed lone before that. I doubt the new staff cares much about mid major ratings. I thought it was rather lamb when the swimming coach last year touted NT being rated in this poll. As stated it does not even include all the schools that by whatever criteria have been relegated to Mid-Major status.

Anyone have any guess on what NT seeding will be this year? My early completely ignorant guess.

1. Ranaganathan

2. Cruz

3. Franca

4. Joubert

5. Moreton

6. Wilhelm

Top 2 look fine, believe Ranaganathan will need to adjust to Hardcourts as she has been playing on clay back home.

Cruz could jump to #1 to start, then Joubert, Wilhelm, Moreton, Franca, Kazarova, Akin, MacKenzie

Speaking with a coach while officiating I understand one player did not get along well with Lama, so that explains one, I assume the other is due to injury.

Edited by untbowler

Don't know why this is just now coming out? Heard this about 3 months ago! As for the 2 that left, one just didn't want to play anymore and the other is through because of her injury, or that's what I have been told by others. I overheard some man talking and he said by the looks of everything, he didn't think they would miss being around Lama much!! What does that tell everyone? And everyone thought DP was the only one to lose players because of not being liked??

Don't know why this is just now coming out? Heard this about 3 months ago! As for the 2 that left, one just didn't want to play anymore and the other is through because of her injury, or that's what I have been told by others. I overheard some man talking and he said by the looks of everything, he didn't think they would miss being around Lama much!! What does that tell everyone? And everyone thought DP was the only one to lose players because of not being liked??

Lets see, Lama has just signed what has to be the greatest tennis class in NT history; and you want to pass on unsubstanciated comments and condemn the new coaching staff based on a possible disguntled player. Maybe it is true, maybe not, maybe the player just does not want to put in the effort that Lama demands. I am sure you know there are plenty of very successful coaches that are far from popular with their players. As far as the former coach, she did not produce a Belt competitive team and had plenty of years to do so. Maybe she did not have the support from the university to succeed. I would not know, however there are many people who have been replaced both in sports and industry because they did not produce, whether it was fair or not. I think I will give Lama at least a year or two with his own recruits before I am too critical.

Edited by GrandGreen

Lets see, Lama has just signed what has to be the greatest tennis class in NT history; and you want to pass on unsubstanciated comments and condemn the new coaching staff based on a possible disguntled player. Maybe it is true, maybe not, maybe the player just does not want to put in the effort that Lama demands. I am sure you know there are plenty of very successful coaches that are far from popular with their players. As far as the former coach, she did not produce a Belt competitive team and had plenty of years to do so. Maybe she did not have the support from the university to succeed. I would not know, however there are many people who have been replaced both in sports and industry because they did not produce, whether it was fair or not. I think I will give Lama at least a year or two with his own recruits before I am too critical.

Well, I know a couple of the players and it def. isn't an "effort" issue. I heard they didn't have a huge demand at the practices last year?? I still will be shocked if he produces a winning SunBelt team. But, that is just my opinion and what I have heard from others around the area... As for the 2 new recruits that they are talking about, why exactly is Wilhelm leaving a better team in Arkansas if she is apparently so good?? And why is Cruz leaving her school? Maybe her coach wasn't "popular" with her?? Hope the girls do good this year... We will soon see!

Well, I know a couple of the players and it def. isn't an "effort" issue. I heard they didn't have a huge demand at the practices last year?? I still will be shocked if he produces a winning SunBelt team. But, that is just my opinion and what I have heard from others around the area... As for the 2 new recruits that they are talking about, why exactly is Wilhelm leaving a better team in Arkansas if she is apparently so good?? And why is Cruz leaving her school? Maybe her coach wasn't "popular" with her?? Hope the girls do good this year... We will soon see!

Lets see Rachel was playing #5 at UA so she could play Top 4 or so here plus her mom is a teaching pro in Dallas. Also who would want to stay with a bunch of raving Hog fans, when you can be near family and friends.

As for Cruz who would not want to move up from DII to D1 as she cruised last year going 14-1. Not much to do in Arkadelphia, but hey keep the bashing up.

Don't act like UNt is the only school that has players leaving every year. Audra Cohen who just won the NCAAs this past year started at NW then transferred to Miami.

Michael Venus a Top 10 recruit started at UT then transferred to LSU. There are a number of reasons players leave and it is not always the coach.

Edited by untbowler

The internet is a perfect place for innuendo, rumor and opinions. However, people using the I have heard comments is not the strongest of sources. Heard from who? Sujay Lama teams were 57-25 in dual matches in the Big Ten. Who do you think NT could have hired that would have better qualifications? Obviously, no one at this point knows if the hiring of Lama will lead to the establishment of a dominate tennis program at NT or if he is another Stacy Stegal. Perhaps you think that Prevette should have been retained. I actually think that Dawna got a raw deal in a fashion. She was hired with virtually no experience and I can guess very little in the way of resources. The building of the new tennis center escalated the prominence of the program and frankly in my opinion she was in way over her head and a change was definitely called for.

I do take exception to your implied why would anyone with any talent go to NT. Maybe a name coach and a great facility and a chance to be in on the beginning of very good program and oh yes, a very good University. You stated you would be shocked if Lama produces a winning Belt team. I not sure if you are referring to a winning record in conference or winning the conference, but either way I think the odds have definitely improved for NT success. I think you are very wrong if you don't think the changes that NT has made are going to greatly enhance the program. The coaching change plus the decision that was made when DP was coach to allow NT to do what ninety percent of successful NCAA programs do, rely on foreign players.

The internet is a perfect place for innuendo, rumor and opinions. However, people using the I have heard comments is not the strongest of sources. Heard from who? Sujay Lama teams were 57-25 in dual matches in the Big Ten. Who do you think NT could have hired that would have better qualifications? Obviously, no one at this point knows if the hiring of Lama will lead to the establishment of a dominate tennis program at NT or if he is another Stacy Stegal. Perhaps you think that Prevette should have been retained. I actually think that Dawna got a raw deal in a fashion. She was hired with virtually no experience and I can guess very little in the way of resources. The building of the new tennis center escalated the prominence of the program and frankly in my opinion she was in way over her head and a change was definitely called for.

I do take exception to your implied why would anyone with any talent go to NT. Maybe a name coach and a great facility and a chance to be in on the beginning of very good program and oh yes, a very good University. You stated you would be shocked if Lama produces a winning Belt team. I not sure if you are referring to a winning record in conference or winning the conference, but either way I think the odds have definitely improved for NT success. I think you are very wrong if you don't think the changes that NT has made are going to greatly enhance the program. The coaching change plus the decision that was made when DP was coach to allow NT to do what ninety percent of successful NCAA programs do, rely on foreign players.

With all due respect Dawna had access to foreign players and she blew it. J. Boomer lasted 2 years and Dawna ran her off b/c she was not strong enough. The Lee sisters were recruited even though the Asst Coach at the time had coached against them while they were at the FL JUCO and did not have much good to say. Ina Weidning not sure what happened there, she was a top JUCO player then crashed out after 1 year with grades. Sara Giles would have been better served staying the rest of the year at TJC. Sammie Moreton will hopefully have a solid JR season after being injured. Ashley Sammis was a solid prospect that never improved mouch over 4 years.

Dawna had access to same talent but did not make wise choices. Yes she was thrown into the deep though, but that blame falls on Alan Ward for not even doing a search for a coach after Coach Traxler left b/c they would not make him full-time (Thanks Helwig).

Edited by untbowler

With all due respect Dawna had access to foreign players and she blew it. J. Boomer lasted 2 years and Dawna ran her off b/c she was not strong enough. The Lee sisters were recruited even though the Asst Coach at the time had coached against them while they were at the FL JUCO and did not have much good to say. Ina Weidning not sure what happened there, she was a top JUCO player then crashed out after 1 year with grades. Sara Giles would have been better served staying the rest of the year at TJC. Sammie Moreton will hopefully have a solid JR season after being injured. Ashley Sammis was a solid prospect that never improved mouch over 4 years.

Dawna had access to same talent but did not make wise choices. Yes she was thrown into the deep though, but that blame falls on Alan Ward for not even doing a search for a coach after Coach Traxler left b/c they would not make him full-time (Thanks Helwig).

I stated she was able to recruit foreign players in her last couple of years. Before that I don't remember any foreign players signed that were not already in the USA playing at a junior college or at a prep school. I am sure Prevette was hired primarily because she came very cheap. Tennis is hardly a priority at most schools, but few schools would hire a head coach with zero coaching experience. It is like hiring Mitch Maher to be your head football coach because he was a great player nevermind that he has no coaching experience.

Edited by GrandGreen

• 1 month later...

just to clarify the last 3 sentences, Cruz moved to Dallas to be near a friend and this came from the coach, so put to rest that rumor, there was no ill feelings.

I stated she was able to recruit foreign players in her last couple of years. Before that I don't remember any foreign players signed that were not already in the USA playing at a junior college or at a prep school. I am sure Prevette was hired primarily because she came very cheap. Tennis is hardly a priority at most schools, but few schools would hire a head coach with zero coaching experience. It is like hiring Mitch Maher to be your head football coach because he was a great player nevermind that he has no coaching experience.

After speaking with a current coach this weekendm, who runs a Top 75 men and women's program, it appears RV is not a fan of recruiting foreign players and this was brought up by the coach I spoke with in his interview, so apparently the stance has softened but several of the coaches I spoke with over the weekend feel UNT can be a great tennis school.

**on a side note I saw that former player Lynley Wasson is now at UH, so I guess she did not want to be closer to home after all.

Seeing UALR, ULM, TN-Martin, Murray State, La Tech this weekend I believe this years tennis team will surprise many, they are probably not ready to be Top 4 in conference, but I would not rule out a Top 75 ranking before the year is over.

Edited by untbowler

Dawna was hired as the head coach at Penn State.

Dawna Prevette Hired as Women's Tennis Coach

Prevette comes to Happy Valley after stints at Baylor and North Texas

Aug. 15, 2007

UNIVERSITY PARK, PA. - Dawna Prevette (pronounced PRAH-vet), who helped guide the Baylor women's tennis team to the Big 12 regular-season and tournament titles in 2007, has been named the ninth head coach of the Penn State women's tennis program, Associate Athletics Director Sue Delaney-Scheetz announced today.

"We are delighted that Dawna will be our new head coach for women's tennis," Scheetz said. "Her breadth of experience, coaching philosophy, energy and enthusiasm made her the ideal choice for this position. We are very excited to have Dawna join the Penn State family."

"It is an honor to be named as the head women's tennis coach at Penn State," Prevette said. "It has been an aspiration of mine to coach at such a special university. I am very excited to help the women's tennis program add to the great athletic tradition at Penn State."

Prevette recently completed her first season as an assistant coach at Baylor University where she helped the Bears to the Big 12 regular-season and tournament championships, as well as berth in the NCAA Tournament Sweet Sixteen. The Bears, who peaked at No. 6 in the national rankings, finished the season 13th in the ITA poll. Prevette coached two All-America singles players, including Zuzana Zemenova, who was a semifinalist in the 2007 NCAA Singles Championship. At Baylor, Prevette was heavily involved in player development, recruiting, travel, scheduling, fundraising and budgeting.

Prior to joining the staff at Baylor, Prevette was the head coach of the women's tennis program at her alma mater North Texas for six seasons, accumulating the second-most wins by any women's tennis coach in North Texas history. The Mean Green posted the most wins in 17 years with 15 victories in the 2004 campaign. Prevette also helped her alma mater reach the highest regional ranking (13th) in school history that same season. During her tenure with the Mean Green, Prevette coached three players to Sun Belt Player of the Week honors and led North Texas to ITA All-Academic Team awards in 2003 and 2004.

In addition to her coaching duties at Baylor and North Texas, Prevette served on the Southwest Regional ITA committee (2002-07) and currently serves on the NCAA Division I Regional Advisory Committee. She also organized a USTA community service clinic in 2006 and was the tournament director for the Texas Regional High School Tournament from 2001-06.

Prevette, who earned her bachelor's degree in biology from North Texas in 2000, was a four-year letterwinner for the Mean Green and served as team captain in 1998 and 1999. Prevette was an all-conference performer in doubles in 1996 and was an active member of the North Texas Student-Athlete Advisory Committee (SAAC) during her four years as a member of the women's tennis squad.

In her first two seasons at North Texas, Prevette tallied a 12-15 record and then moved into the No. 1 singles spot for her junior and senior years. Throughout her collegiate tennis career, she was the Big West Female Scholar Athlete of the Year and was named to the Raptor All-Eagle Academic Team. Prevette earned North Texas' Team Eagle award twice for best work ethic/team spirit.

Prevette and her husband, Buck, were married in the summer of 2000.