By BRIAN DAVIS / The Dallas Morning News

brdavis@dallasnews.com

Baylor landed an oral commitment last weekend from a 6-7 center with an 80-inch wingspan who wears size 17 shoes.

And she can dunk like you won't believe.

Brittney Griner said she's played organized basketball for only two years at Aldine Nimitz. The junior-to-be has already impressed so many college coaches with her eye-popping ability that her Houston home is flooded with recruiting letters.

Griner attended Baylor's women's basketball camp over the weekend and knew she wanted to become a Lady Bear. She can't sign a letter of intent until November 2008. Until then, oral commitments are non-binding.

Griner said that won't be a problem, though.

"Absolutely. I'm staying with Baylor," Griner said. "Nobody can change my mind. I haven't heard anything from any other coach."

Baylor coaches cannot comment on recruits, according to NCAA rules. Griner said she chose Baylor over Tennessee because she wants her family to attend as many games as possible.

"It was a lot of things," Griner said. "It was close to home. It's a really good program. Coach [Kim] Mulkey is a real intense coach and very well prepared. It's just the environment I want to be in."

When Griner arrives at Baylor for the 2009-2010 season, her father expects her to be at least 6-10 or 6-11. That would easily make Griner one of the biggest players in the Big 12 and women's basketball.

Ray Griner, Brittney's father, said she's already had MRIs done on both knees just to make sure everything is fine. Doctors have told Brittney that she is growing into her body, Ray Griner said.

Griner averaged 23 points, 11 rebounds and six blocks per game last season for Nimitz. On Jan. 9, she dominated Houston Memorial. Griner had 32 points, 16 rebounds and a whopping 13 blocks.

Waco Tribune Herald

Brittney Griner works out at Baylor's summer camp. She has until Nov. 2008 to sign.

But that's not what has Houston-area girls basketball fans buzzing. Griner can dunk in a variety of ways, as a highlight clip on YouTube will attest. The simple title: "High School Girl Dunker."

"She started off dunking with these boys over here," said Ray Griner, a former Marine who has spent the last 34 years in law enforcement.

"The girls can't hold her or stop her, so she went off and played with boys. And that's where she learned how to dunk. The first time she dunked, she fell flat on her butt. But she kept doing it. She can do it with one hand, two hands and dunk it backwards."

And where does a high school sophomore get size 17 shoes?

"I order all my shoes off the Internet," Griner said

Edited by Buford_Julep