Abner Haynes

Coach

I just heard the list of the 20 nominees for the Texas Sports Hall of Fame, and Abner Haynes did not make the cut. I had sent an email to all the committee members less than a year ago, and it looks like I will have to send another round. This committee should be embarrassed for this continuous oversight.

Guest GrayEagleOne

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Abner_Haynes

If they would but read the Wikipedia article on Abner Haynes they would surely vote him in. He was the AFL's first Player of the Year (MVP) and Rookie of the Year. He's the all-time leader in total yards for that league's 10-year existence. He still owns ten of the Chief's club records. He was the first Division 1 African-American player in the state of Texas. We retired his number. And on, and on.

I'm beginning to smell an intentional slight. No one can be that blind.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Abner_Haynes

If they would but read the Wikipedia article on Abner Haynes they would surely vote him in. He was the AFL's first Player of the Year (MVP) and Rookie of the Year. He's the all-time leader in total yards for that league's 10-year existence. He still owns ten of the Chief's club records. He was the first Division 1 African-American player in the state of Texas. We retired his number. And on, and on.

I'm beginning to smell an intentional slight. No one can be that blind.

Several years ago, Abner Haynes was also inducted into the Kansas City Chiefs Hall of Honor. The late Lamar Hunt and his UNT-graduated/alumnus wife (Norma) who I believe you told me you even knew as a student from your college days at UNT, Jack, were all at Fouts Field several years ago when Abner was honored.

Yet this is old stuff concerning Abner & his glaring absence in the Texas Sports Hall of Fame but it is still a complete abomination from our state's sports experts that the great Abner Haynes was not included in that hall's inaugural class when it first began operations in the city of Grand Prairie and when former UNT SID Fred Graham was its first executive director (or whatever his title was).

I found it even stranger that the late, great (and he was truly a good man from all accounts) Lamar Hunt never led the way on any of this with Abner, either.

Some get in the Texas Sports Hall of Fame based on what they did in college or what they did in professional sports, but in the case of Haynes, he actually excelled in both college and the pros. Like most of you, I just don't get it and I think we all need somone from that organization to explain all this concering Abner to about 100,000 plus NT Exes who live in the Lone Star State.

I think for each inductee now (as I recall the Emmitt Smith controversy with the TSHOF officials) that there is a $25,000 sponsorship fee for one to get inducted, but in year's past I don't think that was the case at all, especially in its first few years of operations before it moved to its present location near the Baylor campus in Waco. ;)

Edited by PlummMeanGreen

If you want Abner Haynes in the Hall of Fame become a voting member. I am going to join at the $25 level and if more people like me join and nominate Abner, then the nomination committee will see how much support he has and he might make the list. Here is a link on Membership.

Abner Haynes is on the list of nominees and up for election in the Hall. The same show and same host that read the names last week, read them again, and said Abner's name (he was not listed last week) and talked about his great career at North Texas and with the Chiefs. I don't know if he just skipped over the name last week or what, but I am sure glad he is on there.

This doesn't mean he is in, but at least he is up for election.

If you are a member of the Texas Sports Hall of Fame, you can vote for him right now.

**I see why he was not listed last week, he is on the "veteran's ballot" and not the "primary ballot".

Link

Edited by Coach