Dolphins Go (trent) Green

Chiefs quarterback Trent Green has finally got his wish. He's now a former Chiefs quarterback.

The Miami Dolphins have agreed to trade a fifth-round pick in the 2008 draft — which could become a fourth-rounder depending on how much action Green sees for Miami in 2007 — in exchange for the veteran quarterback, FOXSports.com has learned.

I would say that's a bargain for the Dolphins. A 5th-round pick for, at the least, a fairly reliable veteran backup quarterback, and no other sure things at QB on the roster.

I'm hoping John Beck is the next Tom Brady. Of course, we had a GREAT QB for 17 years and only went to the Super Bowl once with Marino.

This is one of those rare cases where I think the player is right.

Culpepper is really getting the shaft by the team. If Dolphin management is consistent, Culpepper will be traded to a division or conference rival and will promptly take them deep into the playoffs, having the season of his career.

I dont understand why you trade a 5th round pick to get a 37 year old quarterback. Sure he is solid or reliable but I consider this in the same real when the rangers got Caminiti and Gallaraga a few years and Sosa and Lofton this season.....The Dolphins need to stop fooling themselves and go with Harrington/Culpepper or draft a young qb in the draft and develop him. I know its tough to replace IMO the greatest qb of all time but you gotta start smart and Trent Green aint gonna take you there.

Ah ok I did not realize that....however I will still say thats a pretty stupid trade. You drafted a pretty highly thought of QB who may blossom in the NFL and you have Culpepper and Harrington. Now at this point atleast you have all three including Green and they gave away a 5th round pick for him which in the NFL draft you can find a pretty nice contributer in that round. I dont know maybe its just me but I dont really see the logic here.

Edited by Green Mean

Ah ok I did not realize that....however I will still say thats a pretty stupid trade. You drafted a pretty highly thought of QB who may blossom in the NFL and you have Culpepper and Harrington. Now at this point atleast you have all three including Green and they gave away a 5th round pick for him which in the NFL draft you can find a pretty nice contributer in that round. I dont know maybe its just me but I dont really see the logic here.

Because this is the consensus on Culpepper: Link to ESPN column

And I think people generally have a whole lot less confidence in Harrington than they do in Culpepper. Green has had some degree of success everywhere he's been, and has been fairly consistent. As Flyer mentioned, Beck is the Dolphins' QB of the future--at least they hope. But why not, amid all those question marks, have something somewhat closer to a sure thing? A fifth round pick is nowhere near a sure thing--probably won't be in the NFL in three years. Green can start right away, win some games, serve as a mentor to Beck, etc. Sounds to me like a pretty good fit for the Dolphins.