4 Utep Bb Leave Team...possible Transfers?

OldTimer

Malik Alvin..freshman set school record with assists and steals

Maurice thomas 6-8 post

Dale Vanwright 6-6 power forward

Frankin ? 7 foot RS Freshman made 55 % of shots

Is the coach at UTEP new ? he is bringing in 6 new freshmen recruits.

El Paso Times article source of postingCoach announces that four players will leave

By Bill Knight / El Paso Times

Article Launched: 05/30/2007 12:00:00 AM MDT

UTEP head basketball coach Tony Barbee said Tuesday that four members of last season's team will not return in the fall.

"There will be four student-athletes not returning from this past season's roster -- Malik Alvin, Franklin Jones, Maurice Thomas and Dale Vanwright," Barbee said. "I want all my players to share my vision of what a student-athlete should be -- academically, athletically and socially. I wish them all the best in their future endeavors."

Alvin, Thomas and Vanwright were frequent starters last season. Jones, a 7-foot freshman, redshirted last season.

Alvin, a sophomore-to-be from Philadelphia, started 20 of 31 games last season, averaging 8.0 points per game. The 6-foot point guard led the team in assists with 137 and in turnovers with 98. Thomas, a 6-8 junior-to-be from Philadelphia, started 20 of the 30 games in which he played and averaged 9.4 points and 5.4 rebounds. Vanwright, a 6-foot-6 sophomore-to-be from Houston, started 14 of the 21 games in which he played and averaged 6.0 points and 3.7 rebounds.

Barbee

For what it's worth, I'm a huge fan of Miner bball and saw last year's team in person 2-3 times, including the Memphis and TTech games. Barbee is going into his second year as head coach and, agree or disagree, he's cleaning house. It's no secret he's got an agressive "my way or the highway" approach to the team. After the last game of the season he pulled the team aside and said in a nutshell, he wasn't pleased and would be cleaning house, saying leave now if you're not with me. He purposely over-recruited, probably because he knew which players were leaving. For those that aren't subscribers, here is the EP Times article on the transfers. My synopsis:

Malik

positives: is one of the most dynamic players I've ever seen as a freshman. He not only got used to the speed of the college game but at times showed he is above it. He's got a lightning bolt in his rear end (a Haskins quote), moves up and down the court very naturally (something that would work great for JJ) and sees the floor/passes extremely well. When he decides to take over, he can penetrate and score.

negatives: can get out of control. Personally, it seems like his body is ahead of his mind and he doesn't know how to use it sometimes. Can get into a turnover spree and seem out-of-sync.

overall: if this kid can "get it" (for lack of a better term) he could be the best point I've ever seen play in college, with the exception of Fili Rivera the great UTEP alumn of two seasons ago. But they're apples and oranges. Malik has fantastic size, a d-1 build, and great vision. Just needs the right coach.

Vanwright:

positives: even moreso than Malik, has all the physical tools to play at a high D1 level. Body is already physically able to play most anywhere, incredible shooting touch, can hit the midrange and 3 very well. Unlike Malik, his head seems on straight and seems very emotionally controlled/stable out there. Good for some rebounds, too.

negatives: the only thing I can really hold against this guy is consistency. Some nights he just seemed to disappear.

overall: I really liked this kid. Hate to see him go but if NT picks'm up, great!

Thomas:

just overall: pretty big guy, has shown constant improvement over his career. I didn't like him as a fresh, but I can't deny that his shot and work ethic has improved tremendously since his first year where he seem lazy and disinterested. I can't really recall any flash or pizazz about this guy (sorry, vague I know), but all that means is that he is taking care of the ball and doing his job.

Jones:

positives: BIG BIG BIG. Looks like an NBA guy already. Not fat. Remember how everyone was waiting for Oden to come out and admit he's 31? Same with Jones...

negative: game shape. He never played a minute because he wasn't physically ready.

overall: I can't offer any insight on his game because he never got PT. Barbee only said he was waiting for Jones to get into game shape before he put him on the floor.

-------------------------------------

Personally, I'd like - no, love - to see Vanwright and Malik come in. Those are guys that could fit into JJ's system and really wow some people here. They are class acts and never got into any trouble while at UTEP. Jones is someone I think I'd like to see play. Thomas I wouldn't miss, but he's a good kid who's demonstrated a great work ethic, improvement, and class while at UTEP...something any coach loves to see.