Just Got Back From The Basketball Banquet

AJR2010OX

Alright, so I just got back from the basketball banquet. There was a packed crowd in the Silver Eagle Suite, 300+ at least. Hank was the MC, and the media relations staff made two great highlight videos for both the mens and womens basketball teams.

Different awards were given out.... Calvin Watson was men's MVP, forgot about who won it for the ladies. (Nice awards given out by the way)

Slinker obviously didnt touch much on the womens season and instead talked about JJ for ten minutes or so. JJ gave a nice heartfelt speech, and then gave the floor to Watson and Quincy Williams, who presented him with a little award. Both are quite the jokesters I might add.

What struck me about Calvin was everytime one of his teammates got an award, he would always stand and give them a heartfelt hug as each walked back to their seats. He'll be missed for his care towards his teammates.

JJ did get a 5 year contract, which will take effect pending the ratification of it by the BOR.

I got the chance to talk to JJ about next years schedule. I asked him if we will be playing any regional games (SMU, Baylor, TCU) and he said SMU didnt want to do it. We joked about how it was because of the success they had. He did mention though Texas (Yes, UT not Pan American, Tyler, Arlington etc) is on the schedule, and obviously we will be going to Austin.

Lots of student orgs represented (RHA, SGA, Talons, band, cheerleaders, dancers) and RV and JJ made it a point to recognize all of them.