Unt On Deadspin

CawClaw

http://deadspin.com/sports/college-basketb...exas-243374.php

NORTH TEXAS MEAN GREEN

1. Green Eagle. Although we all know UNT as the Mean Green, the school mascot is actually Scrappy the eagle. And Scrappy he is. In 1974 (back during Vietnam, when college students used to protest war in between bong hits), the school scrapped "Scrappy" because the flower children thought his name was too warlike. They renamed him "Eppy" the Eagle. That name stuck until December 2, 1995, at the UNT vs. Alabama Crimson Tide game, when the college announced that Eppy was Scrappy once again, no doubt pleasing many-a-confused fan who'd spent two decades wondering what the hell "Eppy" even meant. As for the "Mean Green" moniker, it's usually associated with 1969 UNT graduate "Mean" Joe Greene, but there is another story that links it to a couple of jokers starting a chant at a game back in the '60s. Understandably, most Mean Green fans prefer to stand by the Joe Greene story.

2. Cannon! North Texas loves its victory cannon. It's as much a part of the UNT family as Eppy, er, Scrappy the Eagle. They love that cannon so much, he even has a name! It's Boomer. Boomer the cannon. Boomer has been blowing his explosive wad to signal touchdowns since 1970. The original Boomer was retired in 1996 when the U.S. Field Artillery Association for Texas deemed him unsafe to fire, but the school promptly had him replaced. Which means that today's Boomer, a scale replica of a Civil War model, is actually Boomer II. The Son of Boomer. Boomer Strikes Back. The Wrath of Boomer. And so forth.

3. New To Hoops. Mean Joe reps UNT's respectable football program (they also have a decent soccer team, not that Leitch cares), but the Mean Green has never really been considered a national basketball powerhouse. This is UNT's first visit to the tourney since 1988, when they lost to second-seed North Carolina, which went on to the Elite Eight that year. The NBA standout to come out of their program is probably the mighty Lee Winfield and his 7.2 PPG through seven seasons with Seattle, Buffalo and Kansas City in the early 1970s. Things are looking up, though, with the Mean Green winning their first Sun Belt Conference title this season with a 23-10 record, the most wins by any UNT team. -- Mike Bruno

Go Mean Green!!!

I believe the "Eppy" name came along later than the mid-70s. I think it was in the early 80s. I seem to recall the introduction of Eppy around that timeframe. Anyone else remember that?

Keith

Edited by keith

That's before my time, but I had always heard the story the way he told it.

I am almost sure that there was a referendum to pick the new name in 1983 when I was a freshman (but I am getting old, so maybe I'm just imagining it!).

By the way, I would NEVER vote for the name Eppy.

I am almost sure that there was a referendum to pick the new name in 1983 when I was a freshman (but I am getting old, so maybe I'm just imagining it!).

By the way, I would NEVER vote for the name Eppy.

It was when the new mascot costume was introduced. I can't remember for sure if it was 1983, but it was about the same time as the drop to I-AA. Coincidence? I think not. It was supposedly voted on, but even then most every one I knew thought it was fixed by the administration.

"Scrappy" being considered too war-like - that's one of the earliest examples of political correctness I can think of. :angry:

2. Cannon! North Texas loves its victory cannon. It's as much a part of the UNT family as Eppy, er, Scrappy the Eagle. They love that cannon so much, he even has a name! It's Boomer. Boomer the cannon. Boomer has been blowing his explosive wad to signal touchdowns since 1970. The original Boomer was retired in 1996 when the U.S. Field Artillery Association for Texas deemed him unsafe to fire, but the school promptly had him replaced. Which means that today's Boomer, a scale replica of a Civil War model, is actually Boomer II. The Son of Boomer. Boomer Strikes Back. The Wrath of Boomer. And so forth.

WRONGO!!!!!!

Boomer was NOT retired in '96, his barrel was. There is no such thing as Boomer II

Boomer is NOT a scale replica of a Civil War model, he is a 7/8ths scale M1840 6 pounder Cannon. He doesn't replicate anything, he makes real thunder when NT scores and wins!

Boomer is one of a very few remaining true black powder muzzle loaders used in college football today. He and his accompanying limber weighs over 1,000 lbs combined and his barrel has a 2 1/4 inch diameter muzzle bore.

Rick

Edited by FirefightnRick

According to the Talons website:

The eagle mascot was brought to life at the NT-Oklahoma Tech game on October 6, 1950, when a Denton merchant Tommy Laney presented No-Name, a live Golden Eagle (later discovered to be a Southeast Asian Sea Eagle). A contest was offered to name the new mascot, and Scrappy became the first bird at NT. After living at the NT Club House, the time came that spring when Scrappy was forced to move to the Forest Park Fort Worth Zoo until a permanent cage could be built for him in Fall 1951.

In 1952, a new 7-foot wingspan American bald eagle was donated by Warren S. Dill. Beaky was the chosen name in February 1952. 540 students signed a petition opposed to the name. A runoff election took place and Victor won. Victor would have been the first American Eagle for NT, but he died of heat exhaustion in August before making an appearance. Scrappy returned to NT making special appearances from 1952 until he died in 1959.

In 1960, a Golden Eagle was acquired and named Victor. In 1962, the Federal Government offered an American Bald Eagle. The bird, named Scrappy, died before it could be transferred to NT.

In 1963, Mr. Eagle becomes the first human eagle mascot provided by the NT Marching Band. Marching band director Maurice McAdow and Mrs. Helen Wright of the school of business administration designed the costume. It was made of leather and plastic with a chicken wire and paper-Mache head. Eric Brewster, assistant Drum Major, "flew" into the stadium for the first NT game of the season.

In 1967, Talons purchased a matched pair of Crested Serpent Eagles, christened Scrappy II and Scrappy III. Housed at the Fort Worth Zoo, Talons brought one of the eagles to each home game. Problems began to arise with the live mascots, so the Talons replaced them with an eagle costume.

In 1969, after obtaining permission from the NT Marching Band, the Talons became the caretakers of the the Eagle. Larry Burrows served as the mascot.

In 1971, the mascot was named Scrappy. By 1973, the mascot was simply called the North Texas Eagle or just Eagle Mascot. In 1974, because it was felt that the name Scrappy was too warlike, the mascot's name was changed to Eppy. Traditionally, the identity of the person wearing the suit is kept a secret.

In 1981,, the mascot was called the Mean Green Eagle and in 1982, it's called the Eagle mascot. In 1983, the mascot was named Eppy.

The Eagle mascot has held many costumes; the most recent was made by Pierre's Costumes and was debuted on September 9, 1995 at the UNT vs. Kansas game at Texas Stadium. It was designed to match the new athletic logos. With the new look, a new name was selected by students, faculty and alumni votes. (Students selected Eppy; faculty and alumni selected Scrappy.) On December 2, 1995 at the UNT vs. Alabama Crimson Tide game, the new name of Scrappy was announced.

From 1969 through 1995, Talons held tryouts and chose the mascot from within the Talon organization. With the new suit and the move back to division 1A, athletics saw the role and duties of the mascot changing. The results of these changes included an open tryout for mascot and athletics becoming the caretakers of the suit.

Talons continue the tradition of the mascot by supporting efforts such as Last Chance Forever. This project cares for live eagles that have been harmed and nurses them back to full health. During an eagle's rehabilitation, Last Chance Forever can bring them to the campus and show the grace of their flight. After the eagles regain their full heath, they are released back into the wild.

Edited by UNTflyer