Mean Green Bar In New Orleans

ntsumgspe

Just please, God... no Karaoke bars!

Sorry, UNTflyer, and for certain not calling you out on this most minor non-athletic subject or anyone who feels the same as you obviously do about karaoke, but since on the subject of karaoke, I don't get it with those who think that that form of entertaiment, ie, which (many times) features some pretty darn good vocalists with actual professional instrumental and vocal background tracks is so socially unacceptable. Most everyone I have ever seen roll their head backs at the mention of karaoke seems to change their minds almost every time once they have been on stage and in the spotlight a time or 2 or 3 or more. :rolleyes::clapping:

America Idol drawing over 30 million TV viewers in one evening recently suggests to some that listening to amateur vocalists doing their thing is not only interesting, but even entertaining to many and I defer to those 30 million plus Americans watching the good, the bad and the ugly of vocal music talent on an American Idol show a few weeks ago. Over 30 million viewers for any non-major athletic event on a weeknight is most staggering ratings numbers and anyone from the Nielsen ratings group would say that.

AMAZING BUT TRUE: There is a New Orleans-style restrauant/bar over here in Parker County (believe it or not) called Boo Rays that packs em' in on Karaoke Night every Thursday night. A lady friend and I tried to get a parking place last Thursday night for a late dinner at Boo Rays and could not find one parking spot (in a very large parking lot and all this across from UNT graduate and Big UNT Donor Jerry's (Durant) Cheverlet.

BUT...................sorry, this alum likes his karaoke and the real bonafide talent I've (many times) heard singing it with real professional background tracks. NOTE: Some of you will remember our national president of the NT Exes karaoke'ing at a party out here in the wilds of Parker County a while back and his rendition of Elvis Presley's "Polk Salad Annie" and you (truly) haven't seen or heard it all unless you could have heard his rendition of that song!

GMG!

Edited by PlummMeanGreen

Sorry, UNTflyer, and for certain not calling you out on this most minor non-athletic subject or anyone who feels the same as you obviously do about karaoke...

No offense taken at all... but I showed this post to a coworker and he said "Anyone who goes to New Orleans, the city of jazz, and visits a karaoke bar should have their Party Card revoked!"

:)

No offense taken at all... but I showed this post to a coworker and he said "Anyone who goes to New Orleans, the city of jazz, and visits a karaoke bar should have their Party Card revoked!"

:)

Johhny Whites Sports Bar.

There are 3 Johnny Whites on Bourbon you'll know you're at Johnny Whites Sports Bar when you're in a corner bar on the right hand side of Bourbon (Canal street is at your back) which is the size of a broom closet. Johnny Whites Sports Bar the greatest dive on Bourbon. And no Kareoke!

And if you want great music skip Bourbon and hit Frenchman Street. Just about every bar on Frenchman has live music and most of them are free. If you're lucky you can catch the New Orleans Jazz Vipers play. Phenomenal.

OK, I'll throw one out...

The closest Bourbon Street bar to the team hotel is actually the famous Bourbon Street Blues

http://www.thebestofbourbonstreet.com/bbc_home.html

Google Map- Bourbon Street Blues

They have a balcony bar and live music.

I propose we make this the "official" Mean Green Party Bar for the weekend.

All in favor....?

Guest Aquila_Viridis

Someone had set up that Utopia with the owner for the last bowl. That worked out well. My personal favorite would be Tropical Isle because they have someone going around in a big green hand grenade suit. I think the first order of business is to decide who would set something up with an owner, so there is not several people calling different places.

As for bashing karaoke, I had a lot of fun in Cat's Meow one night, years ago. It is pretty funny seeing some of the drunker ones get up there.

Someone had set up that Utopia with the owner for the last bowl. That worked out well. My personal favorite would be Tropical Isle because they have someone going around in a big green hand grenade suit. I think the first order of business is to decide who would set something up with an owner, so there is not several people calling different places.

As for bashing karaoke, I had a lot of fun in Cat's Meow one night, years ago. It is pretty funny seeing some of the drunker ones get up there.

Stebo did the set up with the Utopia owner. They actually came to this board and sought us out, hung the battle flag out front, gave us some specials etc. so they'd get my vote

and if anybody remembers the performance of the UNT dance team at Utopia the night before the game......Ahhhh memories. :) I think someone on here actually has pictures

I wish we were going. Margaritaville is awesome, especially the second floor(with tire swings at the bar). Parrotheads unite for these occasions. The store has parrot beaks that second as eagle beaks(last N.O. bowl).

I will be at Molly's at the Market on Decatur on Thursday night with all the cool kids (actually, local journalists and my local friends mostly)

Utopia is a dance club with a little courtyard at the front.

Cat's Meow is a Karaoke bar.

Pat O's is a college type party bar with a large courtyard.

Fritzell's is an overpriced jazz club that is a good ways down Bourbon.

Johnny Whites.... well...I covered to much of the hurricane to ever drink in that place again...

I know the city fairly well, if you have any questions about any others I can try and answer.

My suggestion would be Utopia or Pat O's....both have a decent atmosphere, are easy to find (big, bright signs) and Pat O's is of course one of the fav tourist joints.

If none of those fits you..... I would suggest Big Daddy's Bottomless Topless. HA! ;)

Shane