Question About The Sun Belt Tourney

akriesman

I am sure this question has surfaced before, but I cannot find a link...

Why doesn't the Sun Belt hold the conference tournament at the regular season winner's home court ? It seems like the Sun Belt is the only conference that does this.

It is really embarrasing to the conference to have 400 people show up for a title game, because the home team was KO'ed in the first round. It would not have mattered this year, because NT and Ark St were both lower seeds. But, the #1 seeds are getting to the title games in just about every other conference tourney.

I was at the NT / NE Louisiana title game back in 1988 when we last went to the NCAA's. The pit was rocking that night and it looked very good on ESPN.

The Sun Belt absolutely has to change this tournament rotation policy (or whatever it is). At least ESPN was kind enough to avoid the crowd shots.

Kudos to those that actually made the trip. But, most people cannnot just pack up and drive 7 hours on a weekday.

I am sure this question has surfaced before, but I cannot find a link...

Why doesn't the Sun Belt hold the conference tournament at the regular season winner's home court ? It seems like the Sun Belt is the only conference that does this.

It is really embarrasing to the conference to have 400 people show up for a title game, because the home team was KO'ed in the first round. It would not have mattered this year, because NT and Ark St were both lower seeds. But, the #1 seeds are getting to the title games in just about every other conference tourney.

I was at the NT / NE Louisiana title game back in 1988 when we last went to the NCAA's. The pit was rocking that night and it looked very good on ESPN.

The Sun Belt absolutely has to change this tournament rotation policy (or whatever it is). At least ESPN was kind enough to avoid the crowd shots.

Kudos to those that actually made the trip. But, most people cannnot just pack up and drive 7 hours on a weekday.

Well, we aren't the only conference to do this - but among the Mid Major leagues it is sorta rare. I'm not exactly sure.....my guess would be the conference wanted to look BIG TIME like the ACC or something(those power leagues all have a nuetral court tournament) and it's backfired.

Well, we aren't the only conference to do this - but among the Mid Major leagues it is sorta rare. I'm not exactly sure.....my guess would be the conference wanted to look BIG TIME like the ACC or something(those power leagues all have a nuetral court tournament) and it's backfired.

Thanks.

Personally, I enjoy championship week more than the NCAA tournament itself. There is nothing better than seeing the euphoria of the small schools when they get their tournament bid. And, some of those small school venues are loud and packed.

This is an issue that the Sun Belt simply must address, because it is simply not working.

I think they should do exactly what you suggest (by having it on the regular season champs home court).

But, that's not always a failsafe against small crowds for the finals. If the host team loses, you can still have really small crowds at the finals, no matter what way you do it.

In 1994, we beat NLU on their court in the semis. The next night we played SW Texas State in Monroe, in front of maybe 200.

If they stick to the current system, they must require the school and site of the tournament to guarantee sales of 5,000 tickets. If the host team goes out early then they play Santa Claus with the tickets and let some kids, charities, etc. use the tickets. You should never be allowed to host without the participation of the local chamber of commerce and city government. The host community should be held more accountable for game attendance.

For the few of us that actually attended the Sun Belt Tournament when was in Denton two years ago it was just as embarrasing. One - our mens and women teams were both knocked out early and Two - The community, students and UNT fans did a HORRIBLE job attending the rest of the tournament.

I think the Final was Denver and one of the Florida schools and the attnedance was really poor.

We have no room to complain about any other host of a tournament that doesn't have good attendance.