Wouldn't A Play-in Game Be Better For Unt?

No, it wouldn't be better.

Just because a game is winnable, doesn't mean that we'd win it. Do you really think the other team (Mississippi Valley State) or whoever is just gonna roll over for us?

Yes, being on national TV would be nice, but it's not worth the risk.

Say we were to lose. After 19 years, we get back in the tournament, and lose to Miss. Valley State. (or someone at that level).

Yeah, if we end up being stuck in the game, we have to make the most of it. But, I"m hoping we avoid.

Edited by SUMG

Although the play-in game is technically part of the tournament, I think it is perceived as a throw-away game between two teams that lucked out in their conference tournaments and have no business being in the real tournament. I don't see where we benefit from either beating a Central Connecticut-type team, or worse, losing to them. Let's just get in front of a national TV audience against a top-caliber team and let's see what happens.

One other thing....when the brackets are done in almost every paper in the country.....they don't include the play-in game. They only include the play-in game winner.

So, all that national publicity that you would normally get from the tourney....publicity which lasts for about 3 weeks (as those brackets are in the papers until the final game)....anyway, you lose all that publicity.

Like I said before though, if we end up having to play it....we'll deal with that.

But, I'm sure not hoping to be in it.

What are the odds that we eventually get paired up against Memphis? I think among all the high seeds, they're usually the ripest for the picking. Such athleticism, but they have shown a tendency to play on the level of their opponent. Cal's teams play in a system that is allows the players a lot of freedom to use that athleticism. I'm not saying we're at their level, but we could give them problems. As many people have stated after seeing us for the first time: we have an unusual high level of athleticism for a team that is probably going to be seeded as low as 15 or 16.

Having speculated all that, I think Memphis will be a #2 seed somewhere, which means as a #16 seed we wouldn't get them.

I'm just daydreaming about possible matchups. :rolleyes:

What are the odds that we eventually get paired up against Memphis? I think among all the high seeds, they're usually the ripest for the picking. Such athleticism, but they have shown a tendency to play on the level of their opponent. Cal's teams play in a system that is allows the players a lot of freedom to use that athleticism. I'm not saying we're at their level, but we could give them problems. As many people have stated after seeing us for the first time: we have an unusual high level of athleticism for a team that is probably going to be seeded as low as 15 or 16.

Having speculated all that, I think Memphis will be a #2 seed somewhere, which means as a #16 seed we wouldn't get them.

I'm just daydreaming about possible matchups. :rolleyes:

Yes, I'd love to play Memphis. Not that we'd probably win, but CUSA was very weak this year. They've only really been tested once in about 6 weeks. We could give'm issues if we're hitting 3's and crashing the boards like we were the other night(not to mention single digits in turnovers).

The tournament shoulda just jettisoned the extra at large. Granted GMU was probably the last team in in '06(and thus we'd have missed the best college bball story maybe ever), but it truly is a slap in the face to both schools who have to participate. I DO NOT WANT TO BE IN THE PLAY-IN GAME.