The Sunbelt Champ Does Get The Automatic Bid

I'm seeing a few sites that have UNT playing in the "play-in" game. I know this will change as more teams get in, etc. but we're in the 64 right?

:(

There were several threads yesterday where we discussed this. The Tournament is 65 teams. Even the Opening Round counts as a game. We may have to play in it, but probably not.

Yes as far as I know it we get an automatic bid because we WON our conference. We are not going to be included in teams number 64 and 65 and have to play that game to qualify for the field of 64. Even if we were the last seed in the tourney and won it then we would still get an automatic bid to go to the dance. Thats the greatness of college basketball....wish football could do something like that.

Yes as far as I know it we get an automatic bid because we WON our conference. We are not going to be included in teams number 64 and 65 and have to play that game to qualify for the field of 64. Even if we were the last seed in the tourney and won it then we would still get an automatic bid to go to the dance. Thats the greatness of college basketball....wish football could do something like that.

Boy, I'm amazed at the confusion on this. As already stated, the NCAA field is 65 teams now. All 65 teams either win their tournament to receive an automatic bid or they receive an at-large bid from the selection committee this Sunday. Since at-large bid teams will be ranked much higher than most champions of the smaller conference automatice bids, it's highly doubtful an at-large bid will be in the play-in game. The play-in game will feature two teams that both worked just as hard as UNT to win their conference tournament and will have to play their hearts out just for the opportunity to get to play a #1 seed. Is it fair? No, not really but that's all we have to work with right now. The NCAA had to make a decision a few years ago to allow one additional team/conference, eliminate an at-large bid or completely rearrange the whole bracket formula. Their simple solution was to create the play-in game. I hope we're not in that game but, if we are, I'll be happy just the same...at least we'll have a very good chance of being 1-0 in NCAA tournament play.