Coaching Change Good For Nt Too

DeepGreen

This is not about knocking our former coaches. This article taken off the La Tech board has some good points regarding their incoming staff.

Dooley is already direct, decisive

RUSTON — During a press conference following Louisiana Tech's National Signing Day luncheon on Wednesday, new football coach Derek Dooley said there is "more than one way to skin a cat."

It is clear that after a little more than one month on the job, his way of skinning the cat will be radically different than that of his predecessor, Jack Bicknell.

Bicknell was a laid-back guy whose personality was reflected in his coaching and management style. Dooley, it appears, is the anti-Jack, a very hands-on head coach who will exert his control over every aspect of the program.

This is no knock on Bicknell, who enjoyed some success during his eight years as head coach, but make no mistake; a dramatic change in culture is taking place inside the Charles Wyly Athletic Complex.

During the signing day luncheon, Dooley's newly assembled staff was on hand, albeit in the shadows. During his talk, Dooley introduced each coach, all sporting a blue blazer and slacks. I have a feeling the days of the Bulldog team flying to games in warm-ups and do-rags have come to an end.

Dooley spent very little time talking about the recruits and a great deal of time talking about the recruiting process, his vision for the program and his desire to succeed.

Dooley was articulate, focused and very confident in his plan. He also struck a chord when he talked about his time on the recruiting trail and coming to the realization that the Tech family network stretched far and wide.

"It was amazing to me that every high school I went to, someone would come up and said they went to Louisiana Tech," Dooley said.

The problem, Dooley said, was the Tech family had become disjointed. He was equally amazed at how many of those Tech people said they had not been to Ruston for a game in a while.

"It's my goal to get them to come back," he said. "Not one person can fix the program. It's going to take the collective energy from the Tech family."

Dooley also spoke about his new immediate family — the current Bulldog players. During the whirlwind of recruiting and hiring of a staff in the past six weeks, he also held one-on-one meetings with every player.

It was a chance for each player to not only meet their new coach face-to-face, but an opportunity to speak their mind one way or the other.

"It was a healthy exercise," Dooley said. "There were a number of guys who said they haven't been doing the right things and they were excited to change. I allowed them to vent."

It also gave Dooley a chance to do an initial canvassing of the personalities on this team.

Now that recruiting is over, Dooley and his new staff begin the process of breaking down the current team and installing their offensive and defensive systems in anticipation of the opening of spring drills on March 21.

It is a process that will start from scratch.

To say this will be an interesting spring is an understatement because the changes in store will be sweeping and definitive. Get a good look at the faces in last year's media guide, because I have a feeling some of them won't be around after they get a taste of what Dooley has in store.

The agent for change has arrived, and it comes with a bit of a Georgia drawl.

Change

Tech pours a lot of money into their recruiting and I believe has at least one alumni allowing the use of his private jet to get it done.

Rick

Not as much as you think. It's true Davison pretty much owns Tech, but if you think NT's giving has been bad in the past few years we look great compared to them. It does look like the new regime is having the same type of effect in Ruston as ours is having in Denton. They've kind of put their AD out to pasture which is something that was sorely needed as well.