Unt Lands Pair Of Running Backs

MeanGreen61

UNT LANDS PAIR OF RUNNING BACKS

http://www.dentonrc.com/sharedcontent/dws/...23.dd9d94d.html

Mosley, Montgomery commit to UNT

11:31 PM CST on Monday, January 22, 2007

By Brett Vito/Staff Writer

New North Texas head coach Todd Dodge has picked up a pair of commitments from players who are expected to carry on the Mean Green's history of success running the ball in a completely new system.

Former Nederland standout Micah Mosley said Monday that he has orally committed to play for the Mean Green. Northeast (Booneville) Mississippi Junior College running back Cam Montgomery has also committed to play for UNT and has signed a national letter of intent, according to Rivals.com.

Oral commitments are non-binding. The first day high school recruits can sign national letters of intent is Feb. 7.

"I visited this weekend and you can just see the excitement in the players," Mosley said. "They believe that coach Dodge is bringing in something special."

Mosley, 6-1, 205, was a first-team Class 4A all-state selection last season when he rushed for 2,478 yards and 32 touchdowns.

Montgomery, who did not return a message seeking comment, played for The Woodlands before continuing his career at Northeast, where he rushed for 603 yards last season.

Both will play in Dodge's spread offense at UNT, which has a reputation for producing standout running backs. Former Mean Green running back Patrick Cobbs won the national rushing title in 2003 and is now with the Miami Dolphins.

Jamario Thomas took over for Cobbs when he was injured early in the 2004 season and went on to win UNT's second consecutive national rushing title. Thomas will be a senior next season.

"I am excited to follow some of North Texas' great running backs," Mosely said. "Those will be some good steps to follow in."

Mosley was not concerned with playing under a head coach who is known for his passing offense.

"I talked to their offensive coordinator [Todd Ford]," Mosley said. "The motto for their offense is 'share the load.' They know when they need to run and when they need to pass."

Mosley visited UNT over the weekend and had been offered the opportunity to visit SMU Tulane, Sam Houston and McNeese State. He had not received any other scholarship offers when he committed to UNT.

Montgomery, 6-2, 195, received interest from Illinois, TCU, Boise State and Houston. He is the first junior college player to commit to UNT under Dodge.

"I just wanted to play for coach Dodge," Montgomery told Rivals.com. "I'll be playing running back and I believe I can compete right away."

Montgomery said that he is enrolling at UNT at the semester break. He is a three-star recruit in Rivals.com's rankings system and is the Mean Green's highest-rated recruit to date, according to the Web site.

UNT has received 13 commitments thus far in Dodge's first recruiting season.

BRETT VITO can be reached at 940-566-6870. His e-mail address is bvito@dentonrc.com.

Edited by MeanGreen61

UNT LANDS PAIR OF RUNNING BACKS

http://www.dentonrc.com/sharedcontent/dws/...23.dd9d94d.html

"I talked to their offensive coordinator [Todd Ford]," Mosley said. "The motto for their offense is 'share the load.'

"Share the Load" --- I love it.... let's get shirts made!!! :thumbsup:

---JC players can sign now so it appears that Montgomery is ours. Will he be sophomore or Jr eligibility next year?

---It is ideal to have good recruits in place 2 or 3 years behind projected starters... They will be ready to start when the others graduate and at the same time not have players unhappy with their playing time as is the case often with players that are only one year behind the starters. JC transfers are a bit different since they have not been on campus until a year or two into their college careers.

---Glad to see that our recruiting appears to be much more active that in recent past years...

---I like the second part of the share the load comment: ' They know when they need to run and when they need to pass."

--- That will be a change from "the run is not working well, so let's us run some more" style of offense. as displayed in the So.Miss bowl game and many others.

Edited by SCREAMING EAGLE-66

anyone have any idea? I thought he would be here for the spring and then have 2 years, but I don't know for sure...

He could have been here for spring and still had two more years thats why JUCO's can sign in December. In this case he signed yesterday after the semester had started so it was too later for him to enroll. He will be in school and have two years of eligibility plus a red shirt if wanted starting in fall.