Bu Regents Approve On-campus Football Practice Facility

bdan2002

BU Regents Approve On-Campus Football Practice Facility

(January 17, 2007)—Baylor University Regents approved construction of a $22 million on-campus football training facility during a special meeting Wednesday, Baylor President John Lilley announced.

The facility, which will be paid for with private resources, will likely be built on University Parks Drive next to Baylor’s Ferrell Center and baseball, softball, tennis and soccer complexes.

Regents will review final plans when they meet next month.

“The project affirms Baylor’s commitment to the future success of its football program, which is expected to benefit enormously from the new practice facility,” Lilley said.

“Construction of this facility has been a high priority in the Victory with Integrity Campaign for our athletics program and accomplishes an important component of Imperative X of Baylor 2012, the university’s 10-year vision,” he said.

Baylor will continue to play its games at Floyd Casey Stadium, which is several miles from the campus, off South Valley Mills Drive.

“The facility will house football operations and integrate the football program into the campus environment, providing a significant boost to recruiting student-athletes and to our football operations,” said Ian McCaw, Athletics Director at Baylor.

The project will take about 18 months to complete.

BU Regents Approve On-Campus Football Practice Facility

(January 17, 2007)—Baylor University Regents approved construction of a $22 million on-campus football training facility during a special meeting Wednesday, Baylor President John Lilley announced.

The facility, which will be paid for with private resources, will likely be built on University Parks Drive next to Baylor’s Ferrell Center and baseball, softball, tennis and soccer complexes.

Regents will review final plans when they meet next month.

“The project affirms Baylor’s commitment to the future success of its football program, which is expected to benefit enormously from the new practice facility,” Lilley said.

“Construction of this facility has been a high priority in the Victory with Integrity Campaign for our athletics program and accomplishes an important component of Imperative X of Baylor 2012, the university’s 10-year vision,” he said.

Baylor will continue to play its games at Floyd Casey Stadium, which is several miles from the campus, off South Valley Mills Drive.

“The facility will house football operations and integrate the football program into the campus environment, providing a significant boost to recruiting student-athletes and to our football operations,” said Ian McCaw, Athletics Director at Baylor.

The project will take about 18 months to complete.

Good grief, how easily they can raise money! If only we could raise money like that. I visited their advancement office when I was a new Development Officer at North Texas several years ago. They were doing a 1 Billion dollar fundraising campaign! Good grief. Their folks really give back to their university. North Texas is just beginning to crawl in this department folks.

“The facility will house football operations and integrate the football program into the campus environment, providing a significant boost to recruiting student-athletes and to our football operations,”

Baylor's biggest knock on their facilities is that they have no on-campus stadium.

As Fry found out trying to move NT games to Texas Stadium and the Cotton Bowl, there's no place like (on-campus) home!

Edited by NT80

Baylor's biggest knock on their facilities is that they have no on-campus stadium.

Well, wait a minute though. I've been to their stadium. When you say they have no on campus stadium, it is maybe a 5 minute drive from campus. And worth the drive. For the size of the school, the stadium is top notch. Great sight lines, beautiful construction. If we are comparing this to fouts well... And a question - are we considering eagle point - "on campus"? You really can't walk there - that's my point also.

Well, wait a minute though. I've been to their stadium. When you say they have no on campus stadium, it is maybe a 5 minute drive from campus. And worth the drive. For the size of the school, the stadium is top notch. Great sight lines, beautiful construction. If we are comparing this to fouts well... And a question - are we considering eagle point - "on campus"? You really can't walk there - that's my point also.

Oh, I agree I'd take BU's stadium. But it is not a 5 minute drive from campus, more like 15 minutes, about like UNT to the Denton ISD Stadium across town.

Yes, I consider Eagle Point to be on campus. Check the photo below of where the new stadium will be (between the AC and the pond on the left) See Fouts in the background...the new Stadium will be very walkable from the dorms:

http://www.kingdl1.com/UNT/AC/ac.jpg

Edited by NT80

Oh, I agree I'd take BU's stadium. But it is not a 5 minute drive from campus, more like 15 minutes, about like UNT to the Denton ISD Stadium across town.

Yes, I consider Eagle Point to be on campus. Check the photo below of where the new stadium will be (between the AC and the pond on the left) See Fouts in the background...the new Stadium will be very walkable from the dorms:

http://www.kingdl1.com/UNT/AC/ac.jpg

That bridge crossing across I35 will be a nightmare to cross for large numbers of people. They really need to build that expansion to the bridge otherwise I see most people driving across it.

That bridge crossing across I35 will be a nightmare to cross for large numbers of people. They really need to build that expansion to the bridge otherwise I see most people driving across it.

In addition to walkways on the new widened NT Blvd bridge, the masterplan also shows a pedestrian-only walkbridge from about the Fouts MGC deck area/parking lot over towards the new stadium location. I think they still plan to use the Fouts lot as remote parking for games.