News From Miami

Smitty

Ricky Williams seeking return to NFL, Dolphins

ESPN.com news services

MIAMI -- Ricky Williams, who is serving a year suspension from the NFL for violating its substance abuse policy, has passed all his drug tests and intends to apply for readmission to the NFL in April, his agent said Thursday.

Williams, who spent his year of exile with the Toronto Argonauts of the CFL, had a strong relationship with former Dolphins coach Nick Saban. But despite Saban's departure to Alabama, Williams intends to return to the Dolphins, said his agent, Leigh Steinberg.

"Ricky's contract is with the Miami Dolphins and he fully intends to apply for reinstatement in April and return to play for the Dolphins," Steinberg said.

He said Williams is living in northern California, where he's practicing yoga, and that the broken arm he suffered while playing in the CFL has healed. Williams gained 231 yards on 57 carries and one touchdown and caught seven passes for 58 yards in an injury-shortened season for the Argos.

Saban, for his part, believes Williams' return can help the Dolphins.

"God knows about No. 34, but if he comes back, you win three or four more games if the guy is playing, I'm telling you," Saban said Thursday. "He's got a presence."

Williams suddenly retired in July 2004, then returned in 2005 after serving a four-game suspension for an earlier violation of the substance abuse policy. In his year away from the game he became a certified yoga instructor and studied holistic medicine.

This doesn't bode well for Patrick in Miami. But considering the state of runningbacks in Dallas, I'd love to see him land with the Cowboys. Julius Jones is proving a disappointment. Patrick and Marion Barber would make a good tandem.

"MIAMI -- Ricky Williams, who is serving a year suspension from the NFL for violating its substance abuse policy, has passed all his drug tests and intends to apply for readmission to the NFL in April, his agent said Thursday."

Judas Priest, Ricky. Just retire, move the heck to Berkley, San Francisco, or Santa Fe, and be done with it! rauch12.gif

Edited by LongJim

Yeah, Miami is where Culpepper and Williams need to be. Culpepper, not happy with the shortened "boat party season" in Minnesota moves to Miami for the fabulous year round weather, and Williams comes back to the area where many drugs enter the U.S. Should be one heck of a party.

Judas Priest, Ricky. Just retire, move the heck to Berkley, San Francisco, or Santa Fe, and be done with it! rauch12.gif

Isn't that the truth! Druggies like Ricky Williams get all these endless chances while the good guys like Patrick are shelved somewhere in obscurity. What a shame. :disgust:

Alright...here we go. *breathe in, breathe out*

• First, respect for the dead was my primary concern in my tirade last week.

• Secondly, it's not the pot smoking that I'm saying Ricky is a moron for. It's the fact that he's let his entire life be overrun by it to the point where he passed up millions and destroyed what could have been an incredible legacy in the NFL because he loves smoking the reefer. I'd say the same thing if quit football in his prime to go blow all of his money on cars and strippers. Exchange the word "weed" in that sentence to anything else...and it works just the same.

• Third, I never defended Andrew's substance use. In fact, if you read that thread, I made mention that I have little respect for persons who put others in danger when they put themselves behind the wheel while impaired beyond their limits. I however, did defend Andrew's on-the-field actions as commendable and worthy of having a practice field/facility named after him.
I defended a deceased young man who's not here to defend himself...and the memories of a family likely still in pieces from their loss...

Are we done now?

**side note: (I don't have a problem with people smoking the stuff if that's their thing, so long as they don't put others in danger. I don't know why our gov't is too stupid to legalize and tax it like booze and tobacco...which are just as dangerous, if not moreso. And, no, I don't smoke the pot. The FAA and my employer look down on that sort of thing. And besides, smoked it once, worst experience of my life. But that's a whole 'nother beatdown of a discussion.)

Edited by JayDub