First Impressions from press conference

NT80

Did Bobby Ray call him coach Dodd a couple times on the intro? This appears to be a win/win for him and UNT. No contract details given that I heard. TD seems very anxious to get a staff together (someone mentioned he may already bring 4 with him). He said he was very knowledgeable and has many contacts with local and state high schools. I'm looking forward to see him recruit with his contacts. I hope he is allowed to coach the all-star game. I wish he would have mentioned the future new stadium in his talk about being the Metroplex's team. Overall, I'm pumped for spring "Dodge Ball"!

An underwhelming hire.

If you lived closer to DFW you would know that although he is a high school coach he is well known and constantly in the media here.

The best part of his hiring: Today I already had 3 former UNT alums who haven't followed UNT sports in years tell me they are excited about this! biggrin.gif

Well, let's not get silly!  It's an exciting hire and there are high expectations now.  We can't realistically expect much in the first year, but Dodge is probably on a 3-year clock to start producing results.

Should be competitive in the SBC this next Fall and who knows, may win the darn thing with disciplined football thrown in the fray over at the Mean Green Village but future SBC champions under Dodge will have a different look IMHO.

Start with the fact that Todd Dodge will (from the git-to) recruit so that any SBC champion he coaches at UNT will aim for Top 25 rankings and he will want his MG football teams to have the opportunity to emulate what Boise State will be doing in the next few weeks in the BCS Championship Series. I really do think this is what Rick V had in mind with his hiring of Todd Dodge.

BTW, anyone else read in USA Today over the weekend where the Boise State HFC said taking those " next step up glamor jobs" may not always be the panacea or where its at for some successful NCAA D1-A coaches? ohmy.gif In the same context, who or how many have already turned down the Alabama Crimson Tide HFC's job whereas their taking of that job would have been a step up?

Truly a great day for anyone who is an NT Ex and/or Mean Green fan!

Okay, like I've said before, I have a few SLC students on my staff at work...and the word going around school today was that he was going to be bringing his offensive AND defensive coordinators with him.

Take it for what it's worth.

The high school rumors also spoke of a 2 year 1.2 million dollar contract...so again, take it for what it's worth.

Okay, like I've said before, I have a few SLC students on my staff at work...and the word going around school today was that he was going to be bringing his offensive AND defensive coordinators with him.

The high school rumors also spoke of a 2 year 1.2 million dollar contract...so again, take it for what it's worth.

Perry - thanks for that info. I have heard 4 years but not 2....wonder why they would do a 2 year contract?

Never heard of a 2 year contract for a new hire in NCAA D1-A.

The 1.2 million for a non-BCS school spread over 4 years sounds more like it; although I would have hoped for a 5 year contract since it takes most recruits 5 years to graduate (counting their RS freshmen year).

Wonder if there were any buyout clauses to TD's contract?

A great day to be Mean Green--now this football program can get back on track!

Am I the only questioning this rumor. Contract terms aside, this is not what I had expected...the SLC OC and DC???

As posted on the other thread I liked to hear about how he described his system as ...."Put the Ball in the Paint", and "...the idea is to score points". How nice will that be to watch?

Other parts of the news conference I thought was interesting:

He continued to mention the word "Teach". He is a teacher of football and it has shown over the years.

Mentioned his coming back to North Texas "Feels like home".

Stated that he now has the "hopes of all Texas HS coaches on his shoulders". That is HUGE. Talk about an extra incentive to win?

What a successful media grab today. In that regards....

user posted image

It's all GREEN, and all GOOD!

Rick

Guest GrayEagleOne

Am I the only questioning this rumor.  Contract terms aside, this is not what I had expected...the SLC OC and DC???

At first thought (if it's true) two high school coordinators jumping straight to Div 1A is downright scary. Then again, who better knows TD and how he thinks than the coaches that have been closest to him for the last 6-8 years? If we're going to trust Todd, then we're going to have to trust his coaching hires; at least initially.

Another thing he mentioned that stood out was that his staff upheld the traditions already in place at SLC in order to continue to build support. I believe he mentioned that he planned on doing that here as well. I had visions of Tortilla's there for a second but a Mean Green March across to the stadium to the tune of a Cannon firing and "Fly Like An Eagle" playing in the background will do for now biggrin.gif

Rick

At first thought (if it's true) two high school coordinators jumping straight to Div 1A is downright scary.  Then again, who better knows TD and how he thinks than the coaches that have been closest to him for the last 6-8 years?  If we're going to trust Todd, then we're going to have to trust his coaching hires; at least initially.

While this is just a rumor, you would have to think that one if not both of these guys would have an inside track on the new SLC Head Coaching Opening.

I thought the coordinator talk was a little ridiculous too...but then I started thinking, these guys have been coaching together as a unit and have installed an unbelievably successful system. Who knows? I'll talk to a few more students today...things will have probably calmed down a little around the SLC campus.

Did Bobby Ray call him coach Dodd a couple times on the intro? This appears to be a win/win for him and UNT. No contract details given that I heard. TD seems very anxious to get a staff together (someone mentioned he may already bring 4 with him). He said he was very knowledgeable and has many contacts with local and state high schools. I'm looking forward to see him recruit with his contacts. I hope he is allowed to coach the all-star game. I wish he would have mentioned the future new stadium in his talk about being the Metroplex's team. Overall, I'm pumped for spring "Dodge Ball"!

NCAA rules forbid him from coaching the all-star game.

I definitely noticed this.  I don't know if there was another thread on this, but how can BR call the new coach by the wrong freaking name TWICE!!!!???

I know it's not a big deal in the big scheme of things, but what an idiot!

By the way, I was kinda wondering... As our resident media powerhouse on the board, what were your thoughts on Todd Dodge?

By the way, I was kinda wondering... As our resident media powerhouse on the board, what were your thoughts on Todd Dodge?

Well, I wouldn't go so far as to say media powerhouse, just humble radio guy. But like everyone else I love it! How can you not? I fully expect great recruits to follow.

I was also glad to see my network (Sporting News Radio) talking about NT and it wasn't ME!

I'm going to have to get Coach Dodge on my show and give the program some more national pub! You better believe next football season I'll be mentioning NT football often. I do what I can, as a couple of my listeners call me "Mean Green" because I talk a lot of NT.

Guest GrayEagleOne

NCAA rules  forbid him from coaching the all-star game.

That may be true but, to the best of my knowledge, he hasn't signed anything yet. He has only agreed to terms. I wouldn't think that he'd actually sign before the 23rd (if he wins this weekend).