Did Dodge send signal to SMU,

Eagle Man

I think Dodge was telling all colleges to bring offers, I'll listen. You can only win so many state trophies before you wonder how you'd do at the next level. The biggest thing in UNT's favor was the proximity to SLC. He could have stayed in his same house and watch son play senior year. Now SMUt would have the same advantage plus larger pur$e if they fire Bennett. Other colleges will be hesitant to hire Dodge only because of his limited coaching in college and the big fear of hiring a HS coach.

I think Dodge was telling all colleges to bring offers, I'll listen.   You can only win so many state trophies before you wonder how you'd do at the next level.   The biggest thing in UNT's favor was the proximity to SLC.   He could have stayed in his same house and watch son play senior year.   Now SMUt would have the same advantage plus larger pur$e if they fire Bennett.  Other colleges will be hesitant to hire Dodge only because of his limited coaching in college and the big fear of hiring a HS coach.

Jeff, anyone from MG Country would be kidding themselves if they didn't think SMU wasn't looking over their shoulders to see what is going on at UNT. In other words, the SMUts are very aware of what is "growing" whoops, I mean't "going' on at the top of the Golden Triange, ie, Denton, Texas, America. smile.gif

I believe the smarter SMU alum/Mustang fan knows UNT will actually build a new football stadium (larger than theirs) and it will be built at a location that will be much more accessible than their own land-locked stadium which has no ample parking (as if they needed that). tongue.gif

In fact, UNT will build its new football palace between 2 Texas interstates that about 60,000 commuters even now pass by where that stadium will be located and that on a daily basis. FWIW, would anyone else think there might be some pretty good future Mean Green football players who will be in some of those 60,000 cars who when they pass by our future new on-campus stadium might even say: "Wonder if I might play in that most impressive college football stadium one day?" smile.gif

I think Rick V has a terrific potential problem on his hands if he hires anyone from MS or Southern Miss at this juncture. sad.gif I don't think that would have been the case had the last crony hire in Denton turned out to be a "UNT alumnus-pleasing" kind of hire of which we now know............

...........it was hardly that at all and it ended on a very, very, very sour note for all concerned--including Darrell Dickey; of course, when has any coach left UNT the last 25 years singing our praises? unsure.gif Because of their lack of high profile success, they usually left and went to a HS job for the most part or got out of coaching completely.

BEST CASE SCENARIO FOR ALL OF US: IF..............a UNT HFC gets one of his MG football teams in the Top 25, beats some notable OOC schools, recruits annually as a winning football program is supposed to recruit and then said coach get his Big 12 job, then all of us are the winners with that kind of coach now aren't we?

Last HFC who left UNT singing our praises (and still does BTW) is a guy some of you young gun alums still don't like to keep hearing about but here's his name anyway..............John Hayden Fry. (BTW, he is now in the College Football Hall of Fame of which NT even played a part in that happening).

Is SMU always going to be our albatross when it comes to advancing our football program to the next level in Denton? Of course, how do we of UNT seem to help them (at times) in their seeming to do that, too?

Edited by PlummMeanGreen