New Coach

jtcozy

I've heard some interesting names thown up, here is a few more to chew on:

Chris Thompsen- Abilene Christian, 2nd yr. has 'Cats ranked in top 20 in d2; also was an asst at Central Ark who always has explosive offenses in d2, coached at Wichita Falls HS as OC, 2nd Team all america TE at ACU in 93, played fball and baseball at TCU 3 years prior. Played at ACU with Coppell HS coach M. Fuller.

Gary Gibbs- D Coord of New Orelans Saints. Coached LBs with Dallas Cowboys prior to that. Also was DC at LSU and Georgia after his stint as head coach at OU. Familiar with the area, plenty of experience. Not sure if its realistic he would consider UNT.

Jim Donnan - A little on the old side but a solid coach who built Mashall's program and did a good job a Georgia.

"Mean" Joe Greene: Ah yes, the greatest player in NT history. Coached for 16 years in the pro ranks, now with the Steelers in the player personnel dept. Big name could attract recruits. Is he HC material? Would he consider it?

Hal Mumme: Texas native, graduated for T. Jefferson in Dallas then Tarleton State. Former Texas HS football coach. Obviously a great offensive mind, does have some baggage. Would be coming home to Texas. Is it a step down from WAC to SBC?

Who know who is on the ADs list, but it sure is fun to throw names out there to think about.

I've heard some interesting names thown up, here is a few more to chew on:

Chris Thompsen- Abilene Christian, 2nd yr. has 'Cats ranked in top 20 in d2; also was an asst at Central Ark who always has explosive offenses in d2, coached at Wichita Falls HS as OC, 2nd Team all america TE at ACU in 93, played fball and baseball at TCU 3 years prior.  Played at ACU with Coppell HS coach M. Fuller.

Gary Gibbs- D Coord of New Orelans Saints.  Coached LBs with Dallas Cowboys prior to that.  Also was DC at LSU and Georgia after his stint as head coach at OU.  Familiar with the area, plenty of experience.  Not sure if its realistic he would consider UNT.

Jim Donnan - A little on the old side but a solid coach who built Mashall's program and did a good job a Georgia.

"Mean" Joe Greene:  Ah yes, the greatest player in NT history.  Coached for 16 years in the pro ranks, now with the Steelers in the player personnel dept.  Big name could attract recruits.  Is he HC material?  Would he consider it?

Hal Mumme: Texas native, graduated for T. Jefferson in Dallas then Tarleton State.  Former Texas HS football coach.  Obviously a great offensive mind, does have some baggage.  Would be coming home to Texas.  Is it a step down from WAC to SBC? 

Who know who is on the ADs list, but it sure is fun to throw names out there to think about.

This list doesn't make any sense, cozy. It doesn't list any former Longhorn quarterbacks. It should be obvious to you by now that the way to build a I-A program is to hire a high school coach or the assistant from losing programs.

Try again.

"Mean" Joe Greene:  Ah yes, the greatest player in NT history.  Coached for 16 years in the pro ranks, now with the Steelers in the player personnel dept.  Big name could attract recruits.  Is he HC material?  Would he consider it?

Joe has been out of coaching for a while. I don't think he would consider it.

I would be more excited then a puppy with two.... ohmy.gif

Well I would be real happy if Joe wanted to do it.

This list doesn't make any sense, cozy.  It doesn't list any former Longhorn quarterbacks.  It should be obvious to you by now that the way to build a I-A program is to hire a high school coach or the assistant from losing programs. 

Try again.

I know who you are now get back to work!

Joe has been out of coaching for a while. I don't think he would consider it.

I would be more excited then a puppy with two....  ohmy.gif

Well I would be real happy if Joe wanted to do it.

Guys, remember this about Gary Gibbs...

Before he headed off to N.O., Fran offered him the D.C. job at A&M. Gibbs balked because it didn't pay enough. A&M's D.C. probably makes more than Darrell Dickey was pulling down here, so Gibbs is a pipedream.

Ditto that for the people who suggest coordinators at BCS powerhouses. Some of those guys are making 300k+. Some runningback coaches at those schools make 200k+. We don't have that kind of jack to throw around in Denton, so be realistic.

I know who you are now get back to work!

You know who I am, but did you know that some people on here think I'm UNT assistant head coach Kenny Evans? One guy even claims Rick Villareal thinks I'm Kenny Evans posting complaints about scheduling, the stadium, etc.

I think someone is on the computer down at the 6th Floor Museum in downtown Dallas.

Nice ACU plug, by the way! biggrin.gif

Edited by The Fake Lonnie Finch

You know who I am, but did you know that some people on here think I'm UNT assistant head coach Kenny Evans?  One guy even claims Rick Villareal thinks I'm Kenny Evans posting complaints about scheduling, the stadium, etc.

I think someone is on the computer down at the 6th Floor Museum in downtown Dallas.

Nice ACU plug, by the way!  biggrin.gif

The NT admin is not smart enough to hire Thompsen, would hate to see him leave ACU but a D1 job is in his future if he keeps the pace up in Abilene.

No matter who RV picks it needs to be someone who can recruit the metroplex well.

No doubt we need to recruit the metroplex, but lets not forget the rest of the state of Texas. We have had success, albeit not recent success, in the greater Houston area. And there are many fine players in SE Texas too. They all end up in Houston, Austin, and College Station.

We need to increase our recruiting budget and do a much better job at bring in some top quality players. They don't all have to be the "diamond in the rough" variety.

Metroplex recruiting is the key right now. If the new HC can work the greater DFW area, (I'm talking stephenville to tyler and waco to the OK border)then throw in 3-5 jucos that preferrably have 3 years of eligibility per year and start winning then you can expand from there.

Look! We have the budget to recruit in all parts of Texas…coach Dickey simply got lazy and took his eye off the ball; that’s the result of his firing. We should get our share of top 100 recruit in the state. In football as in business…you’re only as good as your last game! Thank god he’s now gone!

Any of the USM candidates would mean zilch at UNT. This program needs an young coach that will make a splash and be gone in a few years or a older one with a few skins on the wall looking for another chance at glory like Dick Tomey did a few years ago when he went to San Jose St.