Dickey Contract Provisions

bdan2002

Under this contract, Coach Dickey’s base salary will go to $155,000 with additional 5% raiseseach year. Coach Dickey will also receive a $20,000 annuity at the completion of each season and a car allowance of $6,000 annually. During the term of the contract and through total incentives Coach Dickey’s compensation package can vary from $180,000 to just over $400,000 based on a variety of performance factors. Also included in the contract are buyout provisions ranging from $250,000 to a percentage of salary based on the time of the buyout should it occur.

http://untsystem.unt.edu/bor/bormay2223200...tract050803.pdf

http://untsystem.unt.edu/bor/boraug_2005/b...otballCoach.pdf

Here is the most interest part of the contract:

Now, Therefore, The Board of Regents authorizes the President to negotiate and execute

an amendment to the Employment Agreement with the Head Football Coach the terms of whichshall be materially consistent with those presented to the Regents at this meeting.

Under this contract, Coach Dickey’s base salary will go to $155,000 with additional 5% raiseseach year. Coach Dickey will also receive a $20,000 annuity at the completion of each season and a car allowance of $6,000 annually. During the term of the contract and through total incentives Coach Dickey’s compensation package can vary from $180,000 to just over $400,000 based on a variety of performance factors. Also included in the contract are buyout provisions ranging from $250,000 to a percentage of salary based on the time of the buyout should it occur.

http://untsystem.unt.edu/bor/bormay2223200...tract050803.pdf

http://untsystem.unt.edu/bor/boraug_2005/b...otballCoach.pdf

Here is the most interest part of the contract:

Now, Therefore, The Board of Regents authorizes the President to negotiate and execute

an amendment to the Employment Agreement with the Head Football Coach the terms of whichshall be materially consistent with those presented to the Regents at this meeting.

Now you see the dilemma. With the contract extension given to DD by RV, North Texas can't afford to BOTH fire Dickey AND hire any coach worth hiring. We just do not have that kind of money. And, with some of our biggest financial contributors loyal to Dickey (not just Jim M) and planning to spend more, we can't exactly cut off our noses to spite our faces. I'm not happy about it, but that is how it is and unless one of us can come up with a few million to top what is in the works, then DD will probably be back next year.

Some coordinators and assistant coaches are likely to go and if Darrell falls on his sword for them, the problem might be solved. But, short of that, I'm convinced that he will be back next year. If anybody has any way to solve this dilemma, I'd love to hear it.

I'm not happy about it, but that is how it is and unless one of us can come up with a few million to top what is in the works, then DD will probably be back next year.

What in the sam hell does that mean??? Do you have some concrete knowledge of large donations contingent on DD being employed as the NT football coach? Or did you just make that up?

If so I'd like to hear the details. If not then this is just nonsense.

I can't believe that DD has any significant supportors that have made their donations contingent on his continuing as head coach. If they do in fact exist then it is obvious that they do not have the best interest of NT in mind. Irregardless of what your opinion of DD is; at this point it is best for NT to go into another direction.

I may have little vision, but I don't see anyway DD can rebuild the football program in any reasonable time frame. On the other hand, a new coach nearly always bring new hope and enthusiasm to a program.

Imo the corner may have been turned were it will actually cost more to retain DD then make a change. In other words the lost of ticket and donation revenues if DD stays are more costly than buying out his contract.

Guest GrayEagleOne

I can't believe that DD has any significant supportors that have made their donations contingent on his continuing as head coach.  If they do in fact exist then it is obvious that they do not have the best interest of NT in mind.  Irregardless of what your opinion of DD is; at this point it is best for NT to go into another direction.

I may have little vision, but I don't see anyway DD can rebuild the football program in any reasonable time frame.  On the other hand, a new coach nearly always bring new hope and enthusiasm to a program.

Imo the corner may have been turned were it will actually cost more to retain DD then make a change.  In other words the lost of ticket and donation revenues if DD stays are more costly than buying out his contract.

You are right about this GG, but what I think is being referred to is similar to the old SMU situation, a large donor (or donors( could withhold support unless we do his/their bidding. So, in addition, you may lose a considerable amount of your annual revenue in addition to having to come up with the money to buy out DD's contract.

That's why SMU wouldn't schedule us, so I've heard. Apparently, Matt Simon angered one of their big money people with his "Safeway parking lot" comment.

If this is true, then I hope and pray that we have the good sense to put DD in some menial job for the next two years which would cost us less than buying out his contract. Then we should go about the process of hiring a new coach. If that means that we can't afford a Slocum/Neuheusel type then so be it. A Carthel/Matthews caliber coach will do.

Now you see the dilemma. With the contract extension given to DD by RV, North Texas can't afford to BOTH fire Dickey AND hire any coach worth hiring. We just do not have that kind of money.  And, with some of our biggest financial contributors loyal to Dickey (not just Jim M) and planning to spend more, we can't exactly cut off our noses to spite our faces. I'm not happy about it, but that is how it is and unless one of us can come up with a few million to top what is in the works, then DD will probably be back next year.

Some coordinators and assistant coaches are likely to go and if Darrell falls on his sword for them, the problem might be solved. But, short of that, I'm convinced that he will be back next year. If anybody has any way to solve this dilemma, I'd love to hear it.

Anyone who would have a part with bringing back the worst public relations disaster of a head football coach in UNT history back for one more year should go back to home-building or selling furniture.

Island Eagle, since you mentioned Jim M in your post: If Jim McIngvale is so enamored with Darrell Dickey (for whatever the reason that could possibly be), then why doesn't he just hire him at his Houston-based furniture company and allow his alma mater a realistic chance to get back to the days when he was a Mean Green football player during the Hayden Fry era; that is, unless ol' Mattress Mac really gets a bigger rise beating the the MUTS (and other SBC'ers) over the likes of the University of Tennessee Volunteers.

I posted this last Spring because this very same subject came up even back then, but if UNT is going to be held hostage by any one or two or three large donors as they might hold their money over our school as a mild threat concerning any of its personnel (from whatever department), then let them keep their gol' damned money. Money cannot buy everything and those who would use it for personal gain or to put their agenda to the front should be shown the back (door). wink.gif

Man O Man! Does this just not seem like the same NORTH TEXAS we all used to be prouder than hell because of our leadership and the positive direction they gave us?

TO WHOEVER'S IN CHARGE OF THE UNT ASYLUM TODAY:

CLEAN HOUSE...

...AND GIVE THIS PROGRAM A REALISTIC CHANCE 2-B SUCCESSFUL!

P.S. & IN THE RED:

If certain UNT officials are working over-time to make all this easy for NT Exes to not want to invest in and be a part of, then they are being pretty damn successful.

Edited by PlummMeanGreen

If you happen to go to the North Texas vs. Florida Atlantic game in November, just look around at the empty seats and do the math on the amount of revenue lost that Saturday night. It is not can we afford to fire Dickey, it is can we afford to keep him.

If you happen to go to the North Texas vs. Florida Atlantic game in November, just look around at the empty seats and do the math on the amount of revenue lost that Saturday night.  It is not can we afford to fire Dickey, it is can we afford to keep him.

You know, with all of the (most impressive) growth of UNT's main campus' enrollment, the city of Denton and Denton County's impressive and expanded population counts of the last few years, we should be in an era at UNT that we would never have less than 20,000 for any game no matter how crappy we all think of the product we've been getting of late in the lower depths of NCAA D1-A has been.

Matter of fact, we still have many new UNT freshmen faces and (yet to be completely tainted by our athletic program's SBC/Bottom 10/low expectations)sophmore class at UNT who may not have figured all this out as of yet; but it won't take long once they, too, set back and (even as novices as to whats going on around them) figure out that this school is tunnel-visioned and determined to keep doing business as usual in Mean Green Country).

Can some of you young gun alums understand why NT Exes from the Abner Haynes era (1950's), the Mean Joe Greene era (the 1960's) and the Hayden Fry era (the 1970's) keep wondering and questioning why we keep putting all this in "reverse mode" (instead of fast forward) with this Mean Green football program? sad.gif Hellsbells! One has to wonder if in another 10 years will our UNT leadership (most of whom are always non-UNT grads/ non-Texans) force-feed on us all roller derby instead of an upwardly mobile NCAA D1-A college football program?!?!?! huh.gif

So just why is it that we always seem to regress as far as our college football program in Denton goes in comparison to some (higher profile and impressive) successes we've had decades ago and all that spread over the 3 decades in the aforementioned paragraph?

Folks, none of this that our leaders would deliver to us just never seems to compute whatsoever. wink.gif

Edited by PlummMeanGreen

Now you see the dilemma. With the contract extension given to DD by RV, North Texas can't afford to BOTH fire Dickey AND hire any coach worth hiring. We just do not have that kind of money.  And, with some of our biggest financial contributors loyal to Dickey (not just Jim M) and planning to spend more, we can't exactly cut off our noses to spite our faces. I'm not happy about it, but that is how it is and unless one of us can come up with a few million to top what is in the works, then DD will probably be back next year.

ph34r.gif

Rick

A little TMI, but I agree. I know this isn't going to be popular with the masses, but with the large buyout, and Dickey's connections, Replacing Ramone and other underperforming coaches is the best option at the moment. There is more to the future than having to have a new coach by the end of the season.

rolleyes.gif

Edited by the green orb

A little TMI, but I agree. I know this isn't going to be popular with the masses, but with the large buyout, and Dickey's connections, Replacing Ramone and other underperforming coaches is the best option at the moment. There is more to the future than having to have a new coach by the end of the season.

rolleyes.gif

Why does everyone think that this is such a big buy out. It is not. DD's buyout approximately $400,000.00, student activity fee raised by$20.00/yr x 32,000 students = $640,000.00. Argue that!!!!!!!!!

what color is the sky in your world?

DO you think that it is that easy to get the activity fee raised?

Do you remember what happened last time?

Now try and do it and convince students that it is for the good of the athletic program so the school can write a big check to a coach who no longer works here....get a grip....

I don't need to "Argue That!"

1. ?green

2. It should be. Does anybody really ask permission in this world. Just do it!!!!!

3. Yes. The Board asked for input (from the students) probally anticipating the result.

4. Why should I or anyone else try to convince the students. It is the parents that pay, for the most part, the tuition.

It is you that should understand the big picture. Grab yourself, get a grip and try to comperhend the real world. Geez if a $50.00 increase in student activitiy fees is going to put you in the poor house let me know and I will lend you a dime!!!!!

1.  ?green

2.  It should be.  Does anybody really ask permission in this world.  Just do it!!!!!

3.  Yes.  The Board asked for input (from the students) probally anticipating the result.

4.  Why should I or anyone else try to convince the students.  It is the parents that pay, for the most part, the tuition.

It is you that should understand the big picture.  Grab yourself, get a grip and try to  comperhend the real world.  Geez if a  $50.00 increase in student  activitiy fees  is going to put you in the poor house let me know and I will lend you a dime!!!!!

How long has it been since you've been in classes? Do you have a student in college right now? I finished my Bachelor's in 2004, will graduate with my Master's this December, and my sister just started her freshman year at NT, so I have a pretty good idea of what students are paying right now. With deregulated tuition, tuition increases somewhere between 15 and 30% each year. When I graduated in 2004, my last 18 hours of school cost me around $3000 - my sister's 15 hours this semester cost closer to $3700.

While my family is blessed to be able to cover the cost of college, many students at NT aren't so lucky. Most rely on student loans and prayer to fund their college careers. Many work to pay for their school without any help from the parents. Maybe $50 isn't much to you, but to a broke college student, that's ten meals they'll have to skip.

I also graduated in 2004 (paying my own way) as well and while $50 is a considerable amount of money to a student on any given day, it's a drop in the bucket when thrown in with tuition. The problem would be getting everyone to agree with the reasoning behind the fee.

If they really wanted to get rid of DD, then I would propose making the game against FAU a fund raiser or "Buy Out Bash" to help with the buy out of DD's contract. Charge the students $1 to get into the game and charge the season ticket holders $2. This would not only help raise money for a buy out, but the attendance would also let you know what the masses thought of our coaching situation.

laugh.giflaugh.giflaugh.gif

As I recall, there were many of our "forever small thinkers" on campus back in the day that thought Hayden Fry would never give NTSU the time of day either. (That group also wanted a 6,500 seat all purpose coliseum, ie, the Super Pit, too). You really don't know about such things with that upper echelon of college head football coach until you, uh, actually ask them if they would be intested (with something in the teal ($) to back up that question)? style_emoticons/ (What a concept all that would be, eh)? style_emoticons/

NOTE: I think the main reason we got to even talk to Coach Fry was that we had a president at NTSU back then who was pro-active enough to not sit around and piddle time away dreaming but President Jitter Nolen and his staff actually sought out Coach Fry because that future College Football Hall of Famer would not stay unemployed for long. UNT needs to learn another lesson in life that says: He Who Hesitates Loses?

Hayden Fry was fired with a 7 & 4 record at SMU so those who think it absurd that a coach with two back to back "2" win seasons (most likely) being fired even at Santa Clause State U (our school's 7'th name change) should get their college football history books back off the shelf and brush up.

In fact, last time we had a Mean Green football team that beat S M U at Fouts Field we had a coach that season who finished with a 6 & 5 record, but that didn't prevent him from getting fired after that season, either.

As many of us predicted, all these (forever) non-stop contract extensions approvals for DD would come back to bite us in the a$$ (and they most certainly have, Ollie). style_emoticons/

UNT officials are making all this "so-oooooooo" EZ to make it as to where even more Mean Green enthusiasts will not to want to invest into all this (if that, in fact, is their secret agenda up there and with your boys Lee Jackson and Bobby Ray, wasn't all this athletic confusion to be predicted anyway)? .......... So why should anything surprise us anymore for what that groups most obvious problems with hesitation to make decisions will continue to cost UNT long term? style_emoticons/

Hellfire and damnation, just look again at the terrifically stranger than hell problems our leaders have in pulling the trigger on employees some of which are closing in on a decades-worth of "effort"? and such efforts which still keeps 15,000 potential Mean Green fans away from most every Game Day at Fouts Field)? How many more red flags do we possibly need at UNT until some more light bulbs turn on and shine brightly up there? style_emoticons/

Folks, we have too large an enrollment with our school being located in one of America's boom towns and counties for us to keep averaging 15K per home game the last few years. BTW, do you ever hear this group talk about year to year attendance at football games anymore? Of course you don't.

Those figures (15K) alone should be the biggest hint that some pretty well paid people are just not gettting the message across to those who need the message (which indicates some of our career UNT employees are simply not getting their jobs done, either). style_emoticons/

If DD is back next year, that will be a scene that will not be very pretty at all (and those of us who've been around the Mean Green scene awhile will guarantee that). Quite frankly, I am sorry all this has boiled down to all this. style_emoticons/