North Texas is the only 1-A team.....

BobFam

I haven't figured out how yet, but I am sure this is further evidence that:

- Many of us Mean Green faithful accept mediocrity and are happy to just win the SBC occasionally

- DD should be fired

- There is a consipiracy amongst BOR and NT administration to hold MG Athletics back

- Athletic program is in reverse

- New Athletic facilities are actually made out of straw and will fall down any day now.

- Nobody wants to win OOC games

I was just having a little fun.  Hoping I could get Plumm to launch another diatribe, he makes me laugh.

You should read more and think more about what he says, as he knows what he is talking about. But just give Darrell "keep 8 men in the box" Dickey a couple of more seasons, and you too will understand.

If Darrell "Keep 8 In The Box" Dickey and Ramon "I can count all the plays on my digits" Flannigan can keep what they were doing against SMU & Akron then UNT may have a legitimate chance to win the SBC.

As much as I have disliked the play calling over the last 8 1/2 years and all the terrible comments that DD (poor me, it is not my fault, it is the fault of the players) and RF (screaming at Silver Eagle in the stands last year after he told him that, "you are being outcoached) have made.....these two actually have shown me that they have the ability to open up the game.

My points:

1. This year just like last year when DD & RF tried to run between the tackles 90% of the time........we lost.

2. This year when they were throwing more......we won (against SMU) and moved the ball more against Akron giving JT room enough to do what he does best....gain over 100 yards.

3. Perhaps DD & RF can build upon this with WW as the leader and win a bunch more games.

4. Like I have said before we should know what sort of season -and team- we should have by the end of September. Until then we should get off this belittling attitude that some of us have about getting rid of DD/RF/RV.

The ultimate blame for the mess we are in lies solely with the BOR and not RV/DD/RF..... If any of us could be allowed to get by with sub-standard work for 8 1/2 years and get paid the money that DD receives .... I believe we all would.

Do not sell your tickets yet....go to the games.....get your butts in the seats and enjoy the games.

Like RV has stated:

1. What is NOT keeping us out of CUSA is our stadium.

2. Until the next series of conference shake ups occur then UNT has to have attendance.

I was seriously disappointed in the small crowd that SMU brought with them to Fouts Field.....really disappointed.

Edited by eulesseagle

I haven't figured out how yet, but I am sure this is further evidence that:

- Many of us Mean Green faithful accept mediocrity and are happy to just win the SBC occasionally

- DD should be fired

- There is a consipiracy amongst BOR and NT administration to hold MG Athletics back

- Athletic program is in reverse

- New Athletic facilities are actually made out of straw and will fall down any day now.

- Nobody wants to win OOC games

laugh.giflaugh.gif Greatness!

He might know what he is talking about, but no one else does...

lol, and don't have the hours in the day to figure it out.

No disrepect intended here, but just because he has been supporting NT football for 120 years and writes 10 pages of stuff with various fonts, colors, etc. does not convince me he has all the answers. I am quite sure he believes what he says (although that does scare me about him), but there is a different perspective as well. I support Mean Green through thick and thin. Doesn't mean I accept mediocrity, but I choose to push for change in a constructive way rather than destructive. While we aren't where ANY OF US wants to be, I do give credit for the progress we have made over the past 5 years as a program. Will DD gets us there, I don't know.

I do know that over the past 6 years, even though our football team isnt as strong in the past 2 years, our program is on an upward trend. I do know that indisputably the thing that holds us back more than anything is garnering more committed fan/alumni support in terms of donations and attendance.

The ultimate blame for the mess we are in lies solely with the BOR and not RV/DD/RF..... If any of us could be allowed to get by with sub-standard work for 8 1/2 years and get paid the money that DD receives .... I believe we all would.

Substandard? By what standard? By Sun Belt conference standards we have been dominating our conference 4 out of the last 5 years. If you are talking about our non-conference games against teams that have bigger budgets, better facilities, higher paid coaches and higher rated players, than you are looking at the wrong standard. To use your anology, if you had 8 employees (representing the 8 coaches in our conference) and DD won employee (coach) of the year 4 out of the last 5 years, would you fire him? If you fired him, would you replace him with one of the other 7 employees? Wait, I think I know your answer. You would convince an employee from a bigger, more successful company who is making 3 times as much as you have in your budget to leave their plush job to work for your company.

Substandard?  By what standard?  By Sun Belt conference standards we have been dominating our conference 4 out of the last 5 years.  If you are talking about our non-conference games against teams that have bigger budgets, better facilities, higher paid coaches and higher rated players, than you are looking at the wrong standard.  To use your anology, if you had 8 employees (representing the 8 coaches in our conference) and DD won employee (coach) of the year 4 out of the last 5 years, would you fire him?  If you fired him, would you replace him with one of the other 7 employees?  Wait, I think I know your answer.  You would convince an employee from a bigger, more successful company who is making 3 times as much as you have in your budget to leave their plush job to work for your company.

Freaking GENIUS. Best post of this whole post-OOC mini meltdown.

Green Jackel--

I believe, like the majority, that DD has produced sub-standard work after 8 1/2 years!

As an Offensive Coordinator with UTEP and SMU he was .....13-31-1 (29%)

As a Head Coach he is..................................................... 40-58 (40%)

In OOC games he is ..........................................................8-41 (16%)

Sure DD has been the Coach of the year for four years and congratulations to him for that but what does that tell you of the strength of the SBC when, currently, two D-1AA conferences rank higher than the SBC?

When you ONLY have 1 and maybeeeeee two teams out of the SBC, after the end of the year, with a winning record who are you going to give Coach of the Year to??

Green Jackel this is just "simple math."

I do want to see the program win and IF DD and RF put together game plans similar to that of SMU and Akron where they are throwing 50% of the time I believe we can run the belt. If DD and RF put together game plans similar to Texas, Tulsa and the 2005 season then kiss this season goodbye, again.

Edited by eulesseagle

Guest JohnDenver

A lot of things happened during his tenure..

Namely Dr. Pohl and RV .. increase in students around campus. Tailgating has been pushed by the AD (as opposed to when I was in school it was banned). etc etc.

That poll just doesn't cover DD's greatness. wink.gif

Substandard?  By what standard?  By Sun Belt conference standards we have been dominating our conference 4 out of the last 5 years.  If you are talking about our non-conference games against teams that have bigger budgets, better facilities, higher paid coaches and higher rated players, than you are looking at the wrong standard.  To use your anology, if you had 8 employees (representing the 8 coaches in our conference) and DD won employee (coach) of the year 4 out of the last 5 years, would you fire him?  If you fired him, would you replace him with one of the other 7 employees?  Wait, I think I know your answer.  You would convince an employee from a bigger, more successful company who is making 3 times as much as you have in your budget to leave their plush job to work for your company.

We will never progress as long as people are using the Sun Belt as the sole measure of success for this program. Sadly, that seems to be the case for many people here, as well as for those in the athletic department and positions of power within the university. In addition to that, to put teams such as La Tech, Akron, and Tulsa so far above us and accepting that we cannot compete with them is the ultimate defeatist attitude. We aren't talking about UT, OU or LSU here. We are talking about teams in the MAC, WAC and CUSA. All we wanted for the past few years was to get away from the body bag games and play some teams that we could compete with. Well, we have. Results? Still getting stomped, but now by teams that we should be able to play with. Call me crazy, but I think we have the talent to play a good game with Tulsa and Akron. However, we don't have coaches who go all out to win OOC games. Like UNTLifer said, Dickey knew he had to beat SMU, and he coached a good game. After that is all about beating Sun Belt teams, because Dickey knows that he will keep his job indefinitely as long as he continues to win in the worst conference in the country. Dickey is no fool, he knows what he has to do to keep his job and make a couple hundred thousand a year. I used to defend Dickey, but that was back when there were still signs of progression and the future looked good. But seeing the same results every year, except now we are getting handily beat at the hands of the Akrons of the world, has beat me down. I've heard "I didn't have the team prepared" type of line one too many times, and I can't support Dickey anymore. The SMU game had me hoping he had turned a corner, but then the Tulsa game made me realize that was an abberation. Dickey showed he could coach a decent game when he wants to, but often is more worried about not getting blown out in OOC games than doing whatever it takes to win.

Right now I am uncertain of the UNT football program's future. After watching our single New Orleans bowl victory, I was feeling very good about the future. That win bought another year or two of leeway in my book, as I thought that our success would continue to build and we were on our way to becoming a respected and top mid major program. Getting blown out by the Tulsas, Akrons and La Techs of the world has squashed that hope though. We are further away from being a nationally respected mid major now than we were in 2002, and I can really see no reason to make me change my mind. I'll still be at the games, cheering on the team. Just as I have been at almost all the men's basketball games for the past few years. I enjoy sports and am too proud of the players playing their hearts out representing my school to stop going. Too bad the coaches don't inspire the same kind of pride.

Green Jackel--

I believe, like the majority, that DD has produced sub-standard work after 8 1/2 years!

As an Offensive Coordinator with UTEP and SMU he was .....13-31-1 (29%)

As a Head Coach he is..................................................... 40-58    (40%)

In OOC games he is ..........................................................8-41    (16%)

Sure DD has been the Coach of the year for four years and congratulations to him for that but what does that tell you of the strength of the SBC when, currently, two D-1AA conferences rank higher than the SBC?

When you ONLY have 1 and maybeeeeee two teams out of the SBC, after the end of the year, with a winning record who are you going to give Coach of the Year to??

Green Jackel this is just "simple math."

I do want to see the program win and IF DD and RF put together game plans similar to that of SMU and Akron where they are throwing 50% of the time I believe we can run the belt.  If DD and RF put together game plans similar to Texas, Tulsa and the 2005 season then kiss this season goodbye, again.

If your standard is how DD compares to the rest of D-1A coaches I agree that he is substandard. He is also paid a substandard wage in a program that is substandard by all other D1-A standards. If he was the coach in any other conference and had the same overall numbers, he would have been fired by now. But, under the Sun Belt standard he has been able to kept his job. If you want to hold him or any future coach to a higher standard, you need to give him the resources to meet the higher standard. Otherwise, you will be setting every UNT coach up for failure and create a revolving door for all future coaches that come here.

DD has been successful overall in this conference with a very conservative and "boring" offense that is only frustrating to watch when we lose. Other teams in our conference run more exciting offenses but have little to show for it.

The question was how do you rate the progress of the football program since 2000. I would state that it has moderately improved. One great group of recruits, Kennedy, Hall, Spencer, Cobbs, Taylor, Hurd, etc..., made great strides, but now I'm afraid we are back to 2001 when DD was on the verge of being let go prior to beating the MUTS. Hmmm, look who we play next.

The program, as a whole, has improved with new facilities, upgrades to Fouts, etc..., but I don't think the coaching has improved that much. The offense is still predictable, we still miss DeLoach although Bleil seems to be turning it around, Etheridge has been a disappointment to me as the OL coach and not up to par with the people he replaced, and we still play a soft zone coverage.

e-bone is correct in stating what most of us have been saying about DD.

The chances of Mid-Major programs defeating BCS programs runs about 16% or 17% (or so) from some stats that were posted on this board about a month ago or so.

However, I do not think nor does anyone else in the Mean Green Nation think that UNT can be competitive with the majority of the BCS programs. However, MTSU has had great success with Vanderbilt over the last several years on a regular basis. On the same note MTSU has had as bad luck as every other Mid-Major program against BCS programs.

There is NO way that any Mid-Major program can compare itself with ANY BCS program.

The ONLY way that UNT can compare itself in the world of D-1A is against other Mid-Major programs......Colorado State, Cincinatti, Memphis, S.Miss., LaTech, Tulsa, Air Force, TCU and Akron. These are all Mid-Major teams that DD has played since 2001, at least once and some twice.

2001.........TCU (L)........Colorado State (L)

2002.........TCU (L)........Cincinatti (W)

2003.........A.F.A(L).......Memphis (L)

2004.........S.Ms.(L)

2005.........Tulsa (L)......LaTech (L)

2006.........SMU (W)......Tulsa (L)........Akron (L)

---------- 2 wins & 10 Loses---------

If you want to compare apples to apples Green Jakel, et.al, then compare what DD has done against Mid-Major programs that are outside of the SBC. If you enjoy having UNT ranked in the bottom 5 percentile of all D-1A schools then revel in your lonely support.

If you believe in the various polls, such as Saragin, which can be found in USA Today.....then you will find about 30-40 D-1AA (no this is not a typo) teams that are ranked above UNT.

If anyone wants to compare apples to apples then compare what DD has done against Mid-Major programs and how we stand against our peers & not against Texas, Oklahoma, Kansas State or Arkansas.

Is it nice to play against BCS schools??? heck yes it is and the university like the paycheck too.

Is it nice to play against other Mid-Major programs where UNT should be more on an equal footing where we can truely compare our progress, equally, against other similar programs???? heck yes it is but UNT just does not stacked up to nor has this current football administration made any progress to rectify this this abyss.

And this, my friend, is why alums such as Lifer, Silver Eagle, PMG, Coach, e-bone, FFR and others are frustrated about the (lack of) progress in our program.

This is coupled with the various remarks that DD has made against the program, fans and players. Let us not forget about the verbal assault that RF made on S.E. last year in the stands in front of everyone at halftime.

We look at other Mid-Major programs how they have "Phoenixed" themselves such as UTEP, Boise State, Tulsa and TCU to just name a few and just like the "ugly sister" at the prom......here we still sit just complacently content with no plan in sight.

Yep....we won the Belt the last 4 out of 5 years and DD has won the Coach of the Year in a conference were UNT was the only team to have a winning record. In a conference where if you do win the SBC you can bet there are about 20 or 30 D-1AA teams ahead of you in the various rankings/polls.

THIS IS WHY WE ARE FRUSTRATED.

Edited by eulesseagle

Guest Aquila_Viridis

We look at other Mid-Major programs how they have "Phoenixed" themselves such as UTEP, Boise State, Tulsa and TCU to just name a few and just like the "ugly sister" at the prom......here we still sit just complacently content with no plan in sight.

You want to compare to TCU? They are spending a million a year on a coach. How are you going to convince our administration to invest that kind of money? How are you going to find the 1,000 people who will each commit $1,000 a year more?

All I can say is, if the administration came out and said, 'If 1,000 people will commit $1,000 per year more than they already do, then we will hire a proven badass head coach on a national level', then I'm in and they only have to find 999 more.

We have to do this. It is just a requirement of a major university. Without it, we will never be considered major.

If only I could have foreseen the runup in the market for coaches, I would have chosen a different career path.

Oh by the way we need a baseball team too.