DRC artical on Wilson to start, Interesting DD he'

OldTimer

Football: Wilson to start for UNT against Tulsa

Dickey says second quarterback will play

09:54 PM CDT on Tuesday, September 12, 2006

By Brett Vito / Staff Writer

North Texas head coach Darrell Dickey named junior Woody Wilson the Mean Green’s starting quarterback for Saturday’s game against Tulsa during his midweek press conference Tuesday morning.

Wilson came off the bench behind starter Matt Phillips in UNT’s first two games of the season and led the Mean Green to a 24-6 win over SMU on Saturday.

Wilson threw for 103 yards and rushed for another 74 while leading the Mean Green on all three of their scoring drives against the Mustangs. The former Coffeyville (Kan.) Community College standout has passed for 168 yards and rushed for an additional 69 yards on the season.

Woody Wilson

“Woody has done well his first two games,” Dickey said. “One of our concerns offensively is that our running game is not where it needs to be. … A lot of our running game is between the tackles and that is where we are getting stuffed. What I have learned is for that to work you have to do things to take pressure off of the running game by attacking the perimeter. You do that by throwing the ball and using a quarterback or running back who can get outside and make yards.”

Wilson has shown that ability in the Mean Green’s first two games of the season.

Dickey said Wilson still has areas in which he needs to improve, including reading a defense and checking into the right play, a process UNT’s coaches continue to work with him on.

While Wilson will start against Tulsa, Dickey said another quarterback will play against the Golden Hurricane. The quarterback Dickey picks to come off the bench will be determined by performance in practice and the situation in the game.

Phillips has thrown for 64 yards on the season. Returning starter Daniel Meager has not played in UNT’s first two games because of a concussion, but will be available against Tulsa.

“It feels good,” Wilson said of getting a chance to start. “I am just excited to go and play another good team. … It was a good confidence boost to play well against SMU, but I still have a lot I have to work on."

BRETT VITO can be reached at 940-566-6870. His e-mail address is bvito@dentonrc.com.

Football: Wilson to start for UNT against Tulsa

Dickey says second quarterback will play

09:54 PM CDT on Tuesday, September 12, 2006

By Brett Vito / Staff Writer

North Texas head coach Darrell Dickey named junior Woody Wilson the Mean Green’s starting quarterback for Saturday’s game against Tulsa during his midweek press conference Tuesday morning.

Wilson came off the bench behind starter Matt Phillips in UNT’s first two games of the season and led the Mean Green to a 24-6 win over SMU on Saturday.

Wilson threw for 103 yards and rushed for another 74 while leading the Mean Green on all three of their scoring drives against the Mustangs. The former Coffeyville (Kan.) Community College standout has passed for 168 yards and rushed for an additional 69 yards on the season.

Woody Wilson

“Woody has done well his first two games,” Dickey said. “One of our concerns offensively is that our running game is not where it needs to be. … A lot of our running game is between the tackles and that is where we are getting stuffed. What I have learned is for that to work you have to do things to take pressure off of the running game by attacking the perimeter. You do that by throwing the ball and using a quarterback or running back who can get outside and make yards.”

Wilson has shown that ability in the Mean Green’s first two games of the season.

Dickey said Wilson still has areas in which he needs to improve, including reading a defense and checking into the right play, a process UNT’s coaches continue to work with him on.

While Wilson will start against Tulsa, Dickey said another quarterback will play against the Golden Hurricane. The quarterback Dickey picks to come off the bench will be determined by performance in practice and the situation in the game.

Phillips has thrown for 64 yards on the season. Returning starter Daniel Meager has not played in UNT’s first two games because of a concussion, but will be available against Tulsa.

“It feels good,” Wilson said of getting a chance to start. “I am just excited to go and play another good team. … It was a good confidence boost to play well against SMU, but I still have a lot I have to work on."

BRETT VITO can be reached at 940-566-6870. His e-mail address is bvito@dentonrc.com.

Check out the current thread on this topic called "UNT names Wilson starting QB." There is a good ongoing conversation about this article.