new development as a symbol of change for NT

WIFE2HOT4U

Java Flakes gears up for departure, unsure about future

Cereal bar's contract ends July 2007

Amberlee Sterling

Issue date: 9/6/06 Section: NEWS

PrintEmail Article Tools Page 1 of 1

Media Credit: Andrew D. Rozell

Mark Nevroth, Java Flakes ownerMark Navroth, Java Flakes owner poring a bowl of cereal on Tuesday afternoon.

[Click to enlarge]

A rush hits Java Flakes on Tuesday afternoon..

[Click to enlarge]

Julie Gracela, Haltom City Jr.Lili Sananikone, Haltom City Sr.Julie Gracela, Haltom City Jr., and Lili Sananikone, Haltom City Sr. ordering lunch at Java Flakeson on Tuesday afternoon.

[Click to enlarge]

Aly Berry, Huston Jr.Aly Berry, Huston Jr. Studying at Java Flakes on Tuesday afternoon.

[Click to enlarge]

Unlike most bars on Fry Street, which serve an alcoholic buzz, people frequent Java Flakes, a cereal and coffee bar, to get a breakfast-style fix.

This atmosphere may disappear next July, however, when owners Mark and Darlene Neuroths' two-year lease expires.

When the Neuroths signed the lease, they did not know a lot of businesses around them had been doing month-to-month leases for some time, Mr. Neuroth said.

If they had known, they probably would have tried to find a different location, he said.

Originally, they wanted to sign a five-year lease, but the owner at the time, Curtis Loveless, refused their request, Mr. Neuroth said.

"To us it was a little deceitful because he [Curtis Loveless] knew when we signed the lease that he had it for sale, and he never told us," Mrs. Neuroth said. "He never disclosed that."

Mr. and Mrs. Neuroth and United Equities, Inc., a Bellaire-based real estate firm that currently owns the Fry Street property, are stuck in the contract until it expires, Mr. Neuroth said.

"I can't look now because I can't afford two places, and I'm locked into the lease," he said. "I mean the lease is kind of a double-edged sword. [buster Freedman] can't give me a 30-day eviction notice like he can everyone else, but on the other hand I can't really start looking for another location until we actually sit down and meet and see what he wants to do."

Bittersweet sentiments shared

Abby Bonard, Greensboro, N.C., senior, and Justin Bonard, Mr. Chopsticks employees, have been eating at Java Flakes since it opened last October, they said.

On Saturday mornings, the couple usually meets a group of friends for breakfast, Mrs. Bonard said.

"We always know that we're going to see each other on Saturday morning," she said. "We don't call each other or anything."

Mr. Bonard sees the new development as a symbol of change for NT and Denton.

"I would hope that it would fail, but honestly I think with the way that NT is trying to even redirect their own funds and spending, NT itself is trying to get away from the liberal feel," Mr. Bonard said.

Mrs. Bonard moved to Denton from the suburbs of Dallas to find a niche where she would fit in, she said.

"I just started asking people, I was like, where are there people like me that I would want to hang out with, and everybody said go to Denton or Austin," Mrs. Bonard said. "This makes me feel like I have a place where I belong, and it's so sad to me that they're going to change it because if it really changes like that I'm going to leave and try to find somewhere else where I can fit in."

Mr. Bonard agreed.

"If they're going to tear all of this stuff down and make Denton just like Dallas I'm going to have no reason to come back and visit this either, you know," he said. "So when everybody's gone, there won't be anything that sets this town apart from Dallas or Lewisville or Carrollton or anything."

Tweaking the bar

Mr. and Mrs. Neuroth had never been to a cereal bar before. They had only heard of the idea, Mr. Neuroth said.

It was my wife's idea, he said.

"She had seen a similar one that they started in Arizona, and fell in love with the concept and just took three months to convince me to seriously consider it," Mr. Neuroth said. "I thought she was nuts when she said, 'Let's open a cereal bar.'"

The first and last time Mr. and Mrs. Neuroth have been in contact with their new landlord was when Tim Sandifer, who works in acquisitions, development and retail leasing for United Equities, Inc., delivered a letter to the Neuroths at the end of April, Mr. Neuroth said.

The letter, which had to be signed while Sandifer was present, stated the change of ownership, Mr. Neuroth said.

Mrs. Neuroth said she felt apprehensive when they received the letter.

"It had just started taking off, you know, and we're like we put a lot money and sweat and tears into this place," Mrs. Neuroth said.

When Mr. Neuroth attended NT in the early 1970s, the buildings on Fry Street looked the same, he said.

"Different businesses, but the same eclectic type of shops," Mr. Neuroth said. "They're [NT students] very open, you know, to new ideas and small businesses. So I thought if we could make it anywhere, NT would be the place."

Mr. Neuroth said he does not believe Buster Freedman did any market research before he purchased the property.

"They [the city] have a vision for Denton, which there's nothing wrong with visions for Denton, but to turn your back on what made Denton what it is today, anyway, is kind of sad," Mr. Neuroth said. "Because a large part of Denton is NT, and a large part of NT is Fry Street."

Buster Freedman, United Equities, Inc. president was unavailable for comment.

Jamaal O'Neal contributed to this report.

http://www.ntdaily.com/media/storage/paper...www.ntdaily.com

Mrs. Bonard moved to Denton from the suburbs of Dallas to find a niche where she would fit in, she said.

"I just started asking people, I was like, where are there people like me that I would want to hang out with, and everybody said go to Denton or Austin," Mrs. Bonard said. "This makes me feel like I have a place where I belong, and it's so sad to me that they're going to change it because if it really changes like that I'm going to leave and try to find somewhere else where I can fit in."

Mr. Bonard agreed.

"If they're going to tear all of this stuff down and make Denton just like Dallas I'm going to have no reason to come back and visit this either, you know," he said. "So when everybody's gone, there won't be anything that sets this town apart from Dallas or Lewisville or Carrollton or anything."

When Mr. Neuroth attended NT in the early 1970s, the buildings on Fry Street looked the same, he said.

Hogwash. This guy attended NT, left, then had to be convinced to come back....only to turn his back on it again when things didn't go his way. This is the very description of "apathy" as it exists at NT currently.

I wish NT would fight more to keep the "eclectic" side. But when the people who drive the eclectic bus won't even stand up to fight and are simultaneously belittling the school and impeding progress, it gets pretty hard to support it.

"So when everybody's gone, there won't be anything that sets this town apart from Dallas or Lewisville or Carrollton or anything."

Couldn't have asked for better news if you ask me. Our students flee to Dallas and the rest of the metroplex because Denton is so slow and dead on the weekends A more "big city" feel could be just what the doctor (and athletic department) ordered. Well, that and a community that doesn't try to pretend they're not in a COLLEGE town.