New clock rules

vpackrats

Most of you probably know what I'm talking about but for those who don't, the NCAA instituted 2 significant rule changes designed to speed up the game (I guess the TV networks were getting tired of 3 hour 45 minute games). Obviously, since asking them to shorten their TV timeouts would be sacreligious, the new rules are as follows:

(1) the clock starts when the ball is kicked off, not when it is received.

(2) after changes of possession, once the ball is spotted by the refs on 1st and 10 the clock starts.

I have no problem with the first one, but the second one, what the hell?? mad.gif

Listening to the post game show down in Austin, OC Greg Davis said the 'Horns ran approx 10-15 plays less because of the rule changes. I believe it! I was counting off the seconds while sitting in the stands & sure enough, every change of possession approx 20 seconds ran off the clock before the 1st down ball was snapped.

"If it ain't broke, don't fix it" is a great motto. Well, they changed it & I think to the detriment of the overall game.

But that's just me. I'm interesting in hearing what YOU think ...

1. The coaches (by way of the rules committee) make and edit the rules.

2. The rules were designed to shorten the game by 5-8 plays.

3. On changes of possession, the referee winds the clock on the ready whistle, which he sounds when the OFFICIALS (including chain crew) are ready. Just like when the offense gains a first down in-bounds. The umpire has already spotted the ball when the ready is given.

4. The biggest effect will come late in the halves. A team rallying will have less time to do so. Their offense will have to haul ass to get on the field and save time after gaining possession.

5. On kickoffs, the change is minimal, usually 4-5 seconds. One big effect is that more time will elapse during as onside kick.

Edited by Texas Stranger

I really see it impacting teams on the comebacks and that is sad. It would have been better had they just not stopped the clock after the first down.

What's next stoppage time at the end of the game! I feel like we are watching soccer.

GMG

Maybe it's just the people I hang out with, but I've never heard anyone complain that a college game lasted too long. That is, until last Saturday. The game against UT l;asted forever. Anymore rule changes, and we'll need to bring a sleeping bag.

I don't like any of the new rules, but I like to replay the least. I was never able to get into the flow of the game Saturday. TV had something to do with it, but it seemed the game was constantly stopped for a TV timeout, a replay appeal, or some award given to a former Longhorn player, or blah, blah, blah.

The old rules and lack of replay worked well for over 100 years. Vpackrat is right. It wasn't broke. Leave it alone.

Join the Mean Green Club

Buy Season Tickets

GO MEAN GREEN

Think back on the close call games for upsets. How many of those games would you have preferred the game end a little sooner rather than have had more time?

I'm sure Troy would have preferred to shave a couple minutes off their trip to LSU. I know ASU would have killed to shave some plays off our game with then #25 Memphis two years ago.

When one team is better than another, the more snaps are taken in the game the greater the chance that the better team will eventually prevail.

I absolutely hate these new rules. Shortening the game by taking away plays is insane. How 'bout take away "dead" time? Unfortunately, we're not going to see that happen, because dead time = commercials = money. Dead time also = replay. As long as everyone is on board with replay, games will be longer. Too bad they chose to make up for it by giving us less product on the field.