3-4 Defense Question

DeepGreen

I'm not an X's and O's person, just results oriented. How will the 3-4 defense stop the Texas running backs, such as Jaamal Charles? Is it totally dependent on the speed of our linebackers and CB's? Not saying that those guys are slow, but once Charles gets into the secondary.......well, we're in for a long afternoon. wink.gif

I'm not an X's and O's person, just results oriented.  How will the 3-4 defense stop the Texas running backs, such as Jaamal Charles?  Is it totally dependent on the speed of our linebackers and CB's?  Not saying that those guys are slow, but once Charles gets into the secondary.......well, we're in for a long afternoon. wink.gif

The 3-4 seems to be growing trend in the football world today. LB talent is easier to find than a good Dlineman.

The 3-4 relies on two very important things:

#1 - Linebacker talent. Obviously, with an extra LB in this formation they are the key.

#2 - Noseguard play. This guy must be big enough, strong enough, quick enough, and smart enough to anchor the interior line. He covers 2 gaps on every single play.

As for Charles, interior defense is the key, IMO. If he's in teh secondary, it's alreadt too late. ohmy.gif

I'm not an X's and O's person, just results oriented.  How will the 3-4 defense stop the Texas running backs, such as Jaamal Charles?  Is it totally dependent on the speed of our linebackers and CB's?  Not saying that those guys are slow, but once Charles gets into the secondary.......well, we're in for a long afternoon. wink.gif

I was always taught to play in either a 4-3 or a 'bear' defense. The few times I played in a 3-4 the purpose was to mask the blitz. There almost was always a 4th rusher, a linebacker blitzing each time from a different direction. As said a post before this if you have a good linebacking core and a big boy d-line is hard to find this can definatly be the way to go. Parcels runs the 3-4 and is a fan of the big beefy linebackers. One of the reasons he didn't run it his first year in Dallas was smaller quick linebackers like Dat Nguyen. In a 4-3 quicker linebackers can depend on the extra defensive linemen holding back blockers while a player like Nguyen is free to run down the ball carrier.

Edited by Mean'n'Green07