Mean Green offense kicks into gear

MeanGreen61

http://www.meangreensports.com/ViewArticle...0&ATCLID=549150

Mean Green Offense Kicks Into Gear In Saturday Scrimmage

Courtesy: University of North Texas

Release: 08/19/2006

DENTON (8/19/06) – The North Texas offense rebounded from Wednesday’s sluggish showing, stringing together a respectable performance during Saturday morning’s scrimmage at Fouts Field.

user posted image

Courtest Stephen Howard

The offense, which was plagued with timing and turnover issues earlier in the week, looked crisp and even explosive at times.

Quarterbacks Woody Wilson and Matt Phillips both made a case for the starting job, leading their squads to lengthy drives with efficiency.

Wilson, a dual-threat quarterback, showed impressive range, hooking up with freshman tight end Victor Gill on a pair of 20-plus yard patterns.

Joel Nwigwe looked sharp early for the Mean Green offense, showing off a series of moves that turned a sure loss into a nine yard gain on the team’s second possession. He later hauled in a 49-yard strike from Phillips that stopped just short of the endzone.

All-purpose back James Mitchell took the majority of the handoffs in the scrimmage’s opening drives and found success. The senior powered the offense to a 92-yard drive that culminated in a 23-yard Steven Woodward field goal.

An unlikely quarterback, Johnny Quinn, threw the day’s first touchdown pass. The senior wide receiver took a lateral from Phillips and found a wide open Zach Muzzy for a 63-yard trick-play score.

Quinn later snagged his own 23-yard touchdown grab from Phillips.

The Mean Green will have one more scrimmage next Saturday before kicking off the season at Texas on Sept. 2.

I believe you're thinking of Wednesday's scrimmage while they're talking about Saturday.

No, am reading yesterday's notes. Yesterday's scrimmage notes don't sound much better if any than Wednesday's and the notes I read sure do not sound like the Mean Green came out Saturday Morning as a team reborn as the DCR article would have me believe.

Yesterday I Believe

I spent three hours at the Saturday scrimmage with Harry, Matt, and others scratching our heads. The offense looked terrible.. there is no other way to say it. The defense looked pretty good, but the practice over-all was awful. I dont panic so much as every team has a bad practice... and this one was attrocious.

I did get to talk to Evan Cardwell for a while and hear about his year as a Dallas Desparado. He is a great guy, and would make a fine coach for our defense. He said he does want to go into coaching one day after his playing days are over. He will play one more year with the Despardos, then try to get into an NFL camp.

As for practice, (insert rasberry here....)

GMG!!! dry.gif

I spent three hours at the Saturday scrimmage with Harry, Matt, and others scratching our heads. The offense looked terrible.. there is no other way to say it. The defense looked pretty good, but the practice over-all was awful. I dont panic so much as every team has a bad practice... and this one was attrocious.

GMG!!! dry.gif

Perfect summation. I was there as well (Saturday, not Wednesday) and saw exactly the same thing. Atrocious!

user posted image

I triple guarantee you, there are no defensive players in the backfield, there have never been any defensive players in the backfield.  These are lies spread to you by the allies of the defensive coordinator.

They are nowhere near the line of scrimmage. Their allegations are a cover-up for their failure!

Any apparent defensive penetration, is a cunning ploy by the our glorious offensive leaders to lure the enemy into a trap. Our offensive line, according to our brilliant tactics, are leaving the way open!

They are not in near the quarterback! They are nowhere! They are on the moon!They are snakes in the desert...

Is the glass half empty or half full? If the defense stops the offense is it because of good defense or is that proof the offense sucks? If the offense moves the ball does that mean we should celebrate or criticize the defense?

I can't tell and doubt there are many posters here that can.

Wednesday was different. Illegal procedures and bobled snaps have to be blamed on the offense.

My view was the defense won the battle Saturday. The offense had several big plays but wasn't very good at sustaining drives.

I thought Woody outplayed Phillips. Tune is promising but is not in competition with the big 3 for playing time. He hasn't even worked with the first team.