Tailgating this Season

Sound_Man

What is everyones thoughts on Tailgating for this coming year. It seams as if it is getting frustrating for many and very time consuming with littel to no reward to feed the masses.

So the thought is to go to feeding board members and parents and charging a fee to hang out with us, and then the food is free, or something to that effect, without charging per plate of food. It just seams as if every year it is the same people donating cash the same very few doing all the work and then lots of people eating and hten complaining about it.

It seams if everyone lieks the food and the atmosphere then everyone needs to step up to hte plate instead of a few people feeding everyone

let me know your toughts and ideas so we can get the ball rolling for the season

Let's not feed the masses as that can get expensive. We should only be feeding board members, players parents, the NT Dancers, cheerleaders, and the Green Brigade. I say feed the dancers, cheerleaders and Green Brigade because this is the chance these students have to eat all day. (I speak from experience since I was in the Green Brigade for 5 years).

But for everyone else (the "average joe" person), they can eat at the concessions. (I don't mean for that to sound rude if it did.) But this is only my two cents!

I'm for everyone to fend for themselves, only set up near each other possibly. I'm done cooking for the masses. I don't mind cooking for a special event for the players and parents. I have a tribe now and it's too much to keep them rangled and pay attention to others. I spend half my time over at Scappy's Jr. Mean Green Fun Zone as it is now.

Rick

I'm for everyone to fend for themselves, only set up near each other possibly.  I'm done cooking for the masses.  I don't mind cooking for a special event for the players and parents.  I have a tribe now and it's too much to keep them rangled and pay attention to others.  I spend half my time over at Scappy's Jr. Mean Green Fun Zone as it is now. 

Rick

This would be my choice, but I do tailgate in the orange. I think times have changed, the number of people out tailgating now verses five years ago has changed dramatically.

How about a couple of rows in the parking lot where all board members tailgate together. Maybe the first couple of rows in the orange parking and the bordering rows of the "general pay parking where that bus stop shelter is as a center point. A "Go Mean Green Alley" of sorts. Everyone cooking their specialties and favorites.

I have to say FFR is on the money here. Most of us are branching out into the parking lots to tailgate now, and that is more game-day like for some of us. Traditions Field has become so busy with people that you really cant move around in there. Dont misunderstand the message as I'm not complaining...having too many people out there is really a good thing. We will still go to the field for the Mean Green March, but tailgaiting in the parking lot was a blast last year, and there is a little more room to throw the pig-skin around.

Here's to another college football season!...hopefully the win-loss record is better this year.

GMG!!!

I have to say FFR is on the money here. Most of us are branching out into the parking lots to tailgate now, and that is more game-day like for some of us. Traditions Field has become so busy with people that you really cant move around in there. Dont misunderstand the message as I'm not complaining...having too many people out there is really a good thing. We will still go to the field for the Mean Green March, but tailgaiting in the parking lot was a blast last year, and there is a little more room to throw the pig-skin around.

Here's to another college football season!...hopefully the win-loss record is better this year.

GMG!!!

My brother-in-law will be bringing his trailer to games this fall. We are planning to set it up beside John Denver's trailer (well, actually his in-laws' trailer) this fall. Maybe the greenbacker's tent could be set up between the trailers.

Emmitt and I have branched out to the parking lot over the last 2 years. I do like to take the time to walk around and meet and greet everybody still. I think more people are doing this these days. I do hope that the Greenbackers tailgate does continue in some fashion though, because they really do serve a huge purpose to the atmosphere.

Thanks to Eric and Adler and everyone involved. You guys have helped to make the gameday experience what it is today.

Guest JohnDenver

You can't pay to park in that lot anymore. They tell you to pay for a trailer in spots by the Murch. However, if you donate twice, get two parking passes and use that for the trailer ... you are good.

We pool our passes together for our tailgating, get there early enough for free street parking by the Pit and walk over.

You can't pay to park in that lot anymore. They tell you to pay for a trailer in spots by the Murch. However, if you donate twice, get two parking passes and use that for the trailer ... you are good.

We pool our passes together for our tailgating, get there early enough for free street parking by the Pit and walk over.

That's what Rick and I will be doing with my brother-in-laws' trailer.

I think if we had several tailgating tents up and down the rows in the parking lot but in the same area there would be a great social atmosphere. Like walking from bar to bar on Bourbon street the night before a game.

My thoughts

Good visual, but aren't there cars usually already in that first long row (first and second rows of blue parking, really)? I almost always park on the opposite end of the blue parking lot near the Murchison (shorter walk over to the alumi seats) b/c there are fewer cars over there...and I get there early--usually 4-6 hours before the game (if I had my way I'd be there at 8am for a 6pm game, but my wife and daughter can only take so much fun! smile.gif)

All that said, I think that the blue parking isn't completely closed down to just tailgaters...and to do what you're talking about doing, it would have to be. Really, isn't the orange lot always cleared out of cars and reserved for just Mean Green Club members?

Good visual, but aren't there cars usually already in that first long row (first and second rows of blue parking, really)?  I almost always park on the opposite end of the blue parking lot near the Murchison (shorter walk over to the alumi seats) b/c there are fewer cars over there...and I get there early--usually 4-6 hours before the game (if I had my way I'd be there at 8am for a 6pm game, but my wife and daughter can only take so much fun! smile.gif

All that said, I think that the blue parking isn't completely closed down to just tailgaters...and to do what you're talking about doing, it would have to be.  Really, isn't the orange lot always cleared out of cars and reserved for just Mean Green Club members?

If you get there early enough it is all open, and several of us have the Orange parking passes, so it could work here or on the other side of the orange where it borders the general parking on the north side.

Maybe even talk to RV and see if we can reserve an area until a couple hours before the game, and if we have not filled it the the area is fair game.

Maybe even talk to RV and see if we can reserve an area until a couple hours before the game, and if we have not filled it the the area is fair game.

I like this idea and would definitely join the row. Having an organized tailgate is really the next logical step in the progression we're currently on. I almost would just recommend that the parking officials do exactly what they did for the Tulsa and Troy games last year (they funneled everyone to individual rows until the entire row was filled, then closed the row to through traffic--while making you take only one parking space and setup behind your cars). It definitely made for a more organized and safe feeling environment.

Guest JohnDenver

For the past several years my peoples have setup shop right in front of the entrance to the practice field that faces the PIT. We get there around 9-10am on gameday (before ANY parking official even thinks of being there) and put a lemon aide stand up on the front row. We are near the stage (for the music), near the entrance of the field, so we can go in and walk around and we are at the front of the row (since it has a trashcan on each end) and we are right where EVERYONE walks in to the area.. we hand out food to the visiting team fans. We hand out food to the player's parents. Lonnie Chambers parents used to set up beside us...

We hang out in the area where the x's are. Very little traffic (since there are no spots up front). We take two spots for the trailer ... and the excess area with yellow lines is where we put our chairs and smoker.

Practice Field 

|                                  Sante Fe Hall

\/                                       

___________    _________ORANGE LOT___

|  |

|  |  /  /  <-- friends take these spots

|  x|/_/_____________________

Entrances ->    x xx________ROW_________

|              |  x|x/  /  <-- our trailer

|              |  |/_/__________________ 

|              |    ____ROW_____________

__ \/  ______|  |

Silver Eagle and Rick are going to set up with a trailer on that row (maybe across the way where I say the friends take a spot.. and we have a whole area to ourselves.)

Edited by JohnDenver