Game with UT Arlington

Go_UTA

A poster on our board says we have signed a home-and-home arrangement with you in men's basketball. If so, this will be the first time in a long time. The report is that way play in Denton this year.

It is about freakin' time!

This is a dirt cheap DI game for both of us; little time is wasted with travel; fan and media attention will show a spike. Just makes sense! Many of you won't remember, but historically, we had a rivalry, and it could get pretty intense. Texas Hall, being rather intimate, would literally thunder and rock with partisans of both sides.

I'll come up to Denton for this game.

Would like to see this in volleyball and women's basketball, too. (We did play in women's b-ball recently.)

A poster on our board says we have signed a home-and-home arrangement with you in men's basketball.  If so, this will be the first time in a long time.  The report is that way play in Denton this year.

It is about freakin' time!

This is a dirt cheap DI game for both of us; little time is wasted with travel; fan and media attention will show a spike.  Just makes sense!  Many of you won't remember, but historically, we had a rivalry, and it could get pretty intense.  Texas Hall, being rather intimate, would literally thunder and rock with partisans of both sides.

I'll come up to Denton for this game.

Would like to see this in volleyball and women's basketball, too.  (We did play in women's b-ball recently.)

I hope to hell this is not correct....NT should never play on UTA's stage..it is too dangerous for our players with a brick wall behind each goal post and an orchestra pit 6 steps off one sideline. I also remember our players sit within 3 feet of seating fans...from which UTA fans placed tin garbage can lifts over our players heads and banged it with tire jacks, hung a dead chicken dripping blood on our players ....with nothing done by UTA staff. I lived in Arlington and taught at UTA at the time.

I hope to hell this is not correct....NT should never play on UTA's stage..it is too dangerous for our players with a brick wall behind each goal post and an orchestra pit 6 steps off one sideline.  I also remember our players sit within 3 feet of seating fans...from which UTA fans placed tin garbage can lifts over our players heads and banged it with tire jacks, hung a dead chicken dripping blood on our players ....with nothing done by UTA staff.  I lived in Arlington and taught at UTA at the time.

What a load. rolleyes.gif Tire jacks? Dead Chickens? Brick walls? Gimme a break. You were a teacher? LOL. This sounds too much like a trip to SFA or McNeese, or maybe just a trip....UTA doesn't have rabid fans, more's the pity...we are not even allowed to sit behind visiting team's bench, have to leave our dead (and live) chickens at the door, and are required to keep our tire jacks in the trunk.

You want to hide from the Mavericks? Sounds like the way SMU has treated North Texas over the years. Old Timer knows not whereof he speaks. Should revive a good old rivalry.

Edited by Duck_Mav

What ever happened to UTA's new gym? Seems to me that the series is a natural, but we should not do home and home until UTA has a division I venue.

Answer to the first question is contained in my link in an above post.

I'll admit Texas Hall isn't glamorous and we should have been out of it a long time ago (the biggest handicap is recruiting, not the game experience), but if it is suitable for the University of New Mexico Lobos and New Mexico State University Aggies (these two recently), it ought to not be too far beneath the Mean Green.

Freak, DuckMav, you mean I can't bring my car jack to the next game?

Guest e-bone

University of New Mexico Lobos and New Mexico State University Aggies

Whoa, don't hold back on naming names there rolleyes.gif

Is there a website with pictures from inside the auditorium? We don't need to get too far up on our high horse, but if it really is an auditorium then I don't really know about playing there.

I used to go to Texas Hall to watch the Mean Green beginning during the Bill Blakely / Snake LeGrande era.

The first time I went there, I was suprised that there were so many seats down close to the front. I sat down and I realized why these "good" seat were still available-All I could see was the front part of the stage. The palying surface was about 1 foot above my head.

The good seats, (about 500) were behing the benches and filled up quickly.

I remember a rubber chicken held over the NT bench on a fishing pole, but I don't recall any blood.

The NT / UTA series was canceled by Vic Trilli. He said NT was not going to play on a stage.

Join the Mean Green Club

Buy Season Tickets

GO MEAN GREEN

Edited by greenjoe

Answer to the first question is contained in my link in an above post.

I'll admit Texas Hall isn't glamorous and we should have been out of it a long time ago (the biggest handicap is recruiting, not the game experience), but if it is suitable for the University of New Mexico Lobos and New Mexico State University Aggies (these two recently), it ought to not be too far beneath the Mean Green.

Freak, DuckMav, you mean I can't bring my car jack to the next game?

I was an accounting instructor building a CPA practice and lived in Arlington for over 20 years. I was there. I saw it happen. Ask Johnny McDowell or some of the others who tried to get there early and take those seats behind the NT bench to keep that from happening.

I would love for someone to take photos of the orchestra pit, the brick walls behind the goal posts and the bleacher seats immediately behind the player bench and show the world the truth. How about it greenjoe, go UTA...why do you hide the truth?

I was an accounting instructor building a CPA practice and lived in Arlington for over 20 years. I was there. I saw it happen. Ask Johnny McDowell or some of the others who tried to get there early and take those seats behind the NT bench to keep that from happening.

I would love for someone to take photos of the orchestra pit, the brick walls behind the goal posts and the bleacher seats immediately behind the player bench and show the world the truth. How about it greenjoe, go UTA...why do you hide the truth?

Easy, man, easy. Let the bitterness go. Think soothing thoughts. Put away all sharp objects... the memory you have, in any case, is from looong ago...probably before most of the posters on the board were born. And, yes, I know, it is a conspiracy to hide the truth of Texas Hall from the world.

I used to go to Texas Hall to watch the Mean Green beginning during the Bill Blakely / Snake LeGrande era.

The good seats, (about 500) were behing the benches and filled up quickly.

GO MEAN GREEN

Those are good seats.

The GREAT seats are upstairs in the balcony. Great view. Almost like you're right on top of the court. But brick walls behind the baskets? Never seen those. They've got blue curtains as far back as I can remember.

I remember someone mentioned Johnny McDowell...he was a great player

For those of us who don't follow UNT hoops real closely, whatever happened to Vic Trilli? I remember it was HUGE news when he came to UNT.

How could I have forgotten Johnny McDowell. If you culd drive past McDowell, or "Big John", you deserved the basket. He was always a great influence in the locker room. He always had something inspiring or funny to say. He should have gone on the stage with that talent. Until the accident. Tragic. I hear he spends his time shooting threes from his sofa to the wastepaper basket. Nice sofa, though.

Go Mavs (the REAL Mavs)

Join the Mean Green Club

Buy Season Tickets

GO MEAN GREEN

Hey Go UTA, I asked what ever happened to the new gym. What I meant to say was 'when will it appear?' The web site view is real nice, but, like the NT football stadium sketches it seems to be more of a dream than a reality. I saw no reference as to when it is scheduled for completion.

I was an accounting instructor building a CPA practice and lived in Arlington for over 20 years.  I was there. I saw it happen.  Ask Johnny McDowell or some of the others who tried to get there early and take those seats behind the NT bench to keep that from happening.

I would love for someone to take photos of the orchestra pit, the brick walls behind the goal posts and the bleacher seats immediately behind the player bench and show the world the truth.  How about it greenjoe, go UTA...why do you hide the truth?

There are walls on either side of the goal, but you go about three feet behind the goal, there is the curtain, and then another 5-7 feet (it is a public walkway) to hit a wall ... you got to be one careless son of a gun to hit that wall ....

I have seen over 80 games in Texas Hall, and only once have I seen a player come off the court, a UTA player was going full steam for a loose ball and jumped off the stage after he saved it, was in total control of where he was going the entire time .... not much different than having to hurdle a row of fans in most arenas ....

Drex, we don't know when it will appear. All I can say definitively is that our president has made it a priority. I personally hope we have something more concrete to announce by the end of the year.

Yes, just like your stadium, the state isn't providing this amenity, which makes it a heck of a challenge.

The students HAVE approved a fee to support its operation once it is up. That is a key piece, as operations (salaries, utilities, etc.) are significant for structures such as this.

By way of background, we had a beautiful 10,000 seat arena approved by the regents in the same era that your Super Pit was constructed (shortly after). However, the source of funding (ad valorem tax) was declared unconstitutional before the contract was let out to the building contractor. It was several years before a new source of building funds was provided, and, after that, successive administrations put new academic buildings ahead of the arena in terms of priorities. (For years and years we were in "catch-up" mode.) It is neither here nor there at the present time, but we came within a hair of an arena back in that day. Just be glad you got your Super Pit done before the funding rug was pulled-out.

Now, we have a president who has stuck his neck-out with an arena project. It is a headline project on the university's development page. We shall see. At this point, I am very optimistic, but not necessarily about this being something that is done quickly.

One thing about financing an arena, it is a revenue generator from third-party users. Probably more so than a stadium is. Without a major donor for either project, I think financing the arena might be a little easier. Whatever. I hope we both get our projects done.

Drex, we don't know when it will appear.  All I can say definitively is that our president has made it a priority.  I personally hope we have something more concrete to announce by the end of the year.

Yes, just like your stadium, the state isn't providing this amenity, which makes it a heck of a challenge. 

The students HAVE approved a fee to support its operation once it is up.  That is a key piece, as operations (salaries, utilities, etc.) are significant for structures such as this. 

By way of background, we had a beautiful 10,000 seat arena approved by the regents in the same era that your Super Pit was constructed (shortly after).  However, the source of funding (ad valorem tax) was declared unconstitutional before the contract was let out to the building contractor.  It was several years before a new source of building funds was provided, and, after that, successive administrations put new academic buildings ahead of the arena in terms of priorities.  (For years and years we were in "catch-up" mode.)  It is neither here nor there at the present time, but we came within a hair of an arena back in that day.  Just be glad you got your Super Pit done before the funding rug was pulled-out.

Now, we have a president who has stuck his neck-out with an arena project.  It is a headline project on the university's development page.  We shall see.  At this point, I am very optimistic, but not necessarily about this being something that is done quickly.   

One thing about financing an arena, it is a revenue generator from third-party users.  Probably more so than a stadium is.  Without a major donor for either project, I think financing the arena might be a little easier.  Whatever.  I hope we both get our projects done.

I started at UTA in 1976 and a new arena was an issue and need back then; it was slated for the South 40 parking lot then too. As mentioned, greater needs for academic buildings and budget cuts always got in the way, then the downsizing of Athletics later killed any momentum for an arena. "The Stage" is an interesting place to watch a basketball game, but I agree dangerous and embarrassing. Any moment you expect a musical or theater act to break out.

I started at UTA in 1976 and a new arena was an issue and need back then; it was slated for the South 40 parking lot then too.  As mentioned, greater needs for academic buildings and budget cuts always got in the way, then the downsizing of Athletics later killed any momentum for an arena.  "The Stage" is an interesting place to watch a basketball game, but I agree dangerous and embarrassing.  Any moment you expect a musical or theater act to break out.

Yes, the often-used phrase in sports, "it ain't over 'till the fat lady sings," takes-on an added significance in Texas Hall.

Except it's a seve foot drop!!!

Try 3 1/2 feet ..... give or take a few inches .... when standing against it I can rest my elbows and lean on the stage to watch a game ... I am 6" tall ... to do this on a 7 foot wall I would have to be around 8' and I would not be watching basketball I would be playing basketball ....

Edited by giantbenmav

Try 3 1/2 feet ..... give or take a few inches .... when standing against it I can rest my elbows and lean on the stage to watch a game ... I am 6" tall ... to do this on a 7 foot wall I would have to be around 8' and I would not be watching basketball I would be playing basketball ....

It's actually an interesting view from the lower theater seats, although different because I am sure it's the only place as a fan you'd look up at the court from your seat. "The Stage" is special, but bizarre.

UNT to host UTA Nov. 15...........

UT ARLINGTON RELEASES 2006-07 MEN'S BASKETBALL SCHEDULE

Mavericks begin first season of divisional play in SLC

A new head coach, renewed rivalries and a regional televised appearance on Fox Sports Southwest against Texas, highlight the 2006-07 UT Arlington men's basketball schedule which was released today.

First-year head coach Scott Cross returns two starters from last year's team, including junior point guard Rodrick Epps. The Richardson, Texas, native takes over the reins from departed senior Brady Dawkins and leads eight returning letterwinners into the 2006-07 season.

The Mavericks, coming off of a 14-16 season in '05-06, open their campaign at home hosting UT Tyler on Nov. 11, before traveling to take on local rivals, North Texas on Nov. 15, and TCU on Nov. 18.

UT Arlington will then play UT Pan American in a home-and-home series, hosting the Broncs on Nov. 21, and then traveling to Edinburg on Nov. 27. The Mavericks close out November with a home game versus Austin College on the Nov. 30.

In December, UT Arlington will hit the road for five-straight games. The Mavericks travel to the Midwest to play both Illinois State (Dec. 2) and Western Illinois (Dec. 4). After almost two weeks off, UT Arlington travels to Norman to take on the tradition-rich Sooners of Oklahoma on Dec. 16. After a quick turnaround, the Mavericks travel to Los Angeles to face UC-Riverside on Dec. 20. From there, they will fly to Houston and face Texas Southern on Nov. 20th. A home game versus UT Dallas on Dec. 30 closes out the fall semester.

On Jan. 2, UT Arlington will match up against NCAA Regional Finalist, Texas. The game will be televised regionally on Fox Sports Southwest at 7 p.m. and will be the Mavericks' last non-conference game. The Longhorns have advanced to eight-straight NCAA tournaments.

New to the Southland Conference this season will be divisional play and the addition of Central Arkansas and Texas A&M-Corpus Christi. There will be two six-team divisions. The West division will comprise of Sam Houston State, Stephen F. Austin, Texas A&M-Corpus Christi, Texas State, UT Arlington and UT San Antonio. The East division will consist of Central Arkansas, Lamar, McNeese State, Nicholls State, Northwestern State and Southeastern Louisiana. The Mavericks will play two games each versus their divisional opponents and one game versus the other division.

The Mavericks open conference play with Central Arkansas at Texas Hall on Jan. 4. They follow that with a game against reigning SLC Champ Northwestern State on Jan. 6. Lamar (Feb. 8) will be the only other Eastern Division to visit Texas Hall. UT Arlington will have road games at Nicholls State (Jan. 11), Southeastern Louisiana (Jan. 13) and McNeese State (Feb. 10).

UT Arlington will close out the regular season with two home games versus Stephen F. Austin (Feb. 24) and Texas State (March 3).

This year's conference tournament format has changed. For the previous five seasons the tournament has had the higher seed host each game. This season all tournament games will be played at the Campbell Center in Aldine, Texas, a suburb of Houston, on March 8-11. The top eight teams will compete and be held along with the SLC Women's Tournament.

Does UTA have a message board? I would be interested in looking at it.

I played football in highschool at maverick stadium and went to Arlington High so I always was near the campus. I was never really a fan of UTA and rather us play other regional teams like TCU, but I definatly think the series is a good idea.