Smu game Is it the biggest game ever?

I want it over with no injuries too, I also want a W. While the win may not be as feasible as I want it to be, I don't think DD needs to hand UT a win. If he's gonna give them the win, he'd better break a few legs, bloody some noses and bruise some UT egos in the process.

And heck, the more the better. Let the rest of the world know that if we lost to UT, we sure knocked them around.

Agreed. If you go in with a defeatest attitude, you're going to get defeated. I can't see how that's good for morale, even if it's a long shot to win. But you've got to have enough faith in your coach to think that a win is possible. You've got to think, "we know our plays, we're comfortable with our teammates, and our coach has given us all the tools necessary to win. Let's go give 'em HELL!"

Take the '02 game against UT as an example. Those boys came in wanting to win, and although they didn't, they certainly earned respect by the way they played. They left that game with their heads held high, and that's also the only year we won the NO Bowl. Other factors may play into that, but I think the UT game set the stage for the entire season.

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Agreed. If you go in with a defeatest attitude, you're going to get defeated. I can't see how that's good for morale, even if it's a long shot to win. But you've got to have enough faith in your coach to think that a win is possible. You've got to think, "we know our plays, we're comfortable with our teammates, and our coach has given us all the tools necessary to win. Let's go give 'em HELL!"

Take the '02 game against UT as an example. Those boys came in wanting to win, and although they didn't, they certainly earned respect by the way they played. They left that game with their heads held high, and that's also the only year we won the NO Bowl. Other factors may play into that, but I think the UT game set the stage for the entire season.

If 0-92 in two outings doesn't show a defeatest attitude, it must at least reflect some reality. ' 02 was 0-27 at the half--do you really believe UT had a game face on for the 2nd half? How about all the 1st half blunders like returns to the 5 from out of the end zone. I will give the ' 02 team kudos for not checking it in at the half. The ' 04 team checked it in after Benson's first run from scrimmage. laugh.gif

If 0-92 in two outings doesn't show a defeatest attitude, it must at least reflect some reality. ' 02 was 0-27 at the half--do you really believe UT had a game face on for the 2nd half? How about all the 1st half blunders like returns to the 5 from out of the end zone. I will give the ' 02 team kudos for not checking it in at the half. The ' 04 team checked it in after Benson's first run from scrimmage. laugh.gif

And DallasGreen, would it bother you as much as it would myself (and I'm sure many others) that after all the years you, I and those others have followed MG football (with you about 16 yrs. longer than myself); anyway, would it bother you that beating a school that has had one(?) winning football season in the last umpteen years would be considered "our biggest game ever" for the upcoming 2006 Fall football campaign? sad.gif

You young gun alums or NT Exes please do hear some of us out with our concerns as older nestors: Put yourselves in some of our shoes inasmuch that if in another 30+ years from today we are still talking about replacing Fouts Field and are chuggin' along in a lower profile NCAA D1-A co-existence; anyway, are you going to (perhaps) lose a little bit of your present enthusiasm for the "picture window of our alma mater" if NT football hasn't shown much in the area of progress against those schools in the 117 member NCAA D1-A that winning merely a few against some of that group would truly show such progress?

Might some of you younger alums (or those even older) be a bit concerned in another 30 plus years from today if our alma mater's picture window hasn't shown you (who BTW, will be 30 plus years older than your present age) the kind of significant & upwardly bound changes that would make you proud of our alma mater?

Keep in mind that some of us on this forum were around when we thought we would be able to actually build on top of wins (or near wins) such as we had in the 1970's during "you know who's" era. Those of us who witnessed that era have ( I presume) a slight advantage of having something to compare to that we all actually witnessed firsthand; yet even (admittedly) as the sports novices most of us profess to be can still sorta' hint at the kind of personnel that can get us back to that level (and beyond) or even suggest on this forum (and beyond) the kind of personnel that might prevent any of that from happening.

Edited by PlummMeanGreen

I agree that the SMU game is not the most important game ever for this program. I think the win in the NO bowl against Cinci is more important.

However, this is the season that defines where we are going. Is it fair to say that anything short of a conference championship this year should not be tolerated? Coming off of 2-9, a 2-9 season where Clint Marks threw a perfect touchdown pass to a linebacker, and where a certain Florida team turned the ball over 9 times, or we would be 0-11, it seems to me that it is just unrealistic to do much better.

Explain to me who we have added that is going to make a difference on this team. Offensive line, defense, where did we improve this team? Realistic goals need to be set for this team if we are going to stick with the current coaching staff. It takes two or three years to get back to where we were, not one season with the 100 and something ranked recruiting class in the country.

I will be in my seats this year win or lose, but I am hoping for the best, and prepared for ugly. And folks, this year could be ugly. I hope I am wrong.

All the games are big games if it be SMU, Texas, LaTech, Tulsa, Akron or any of the SBC teams.....

We do not want a 1-11 season with the only win against Texas or SMU...much less another 2-9 (or this year 2-10 season).

**Realistically, I do not think we can beat Texas.

**SMU is coming off a 5-6 season with wins over TCU and UTEP....and an excellent recruiting class.

**Akron were last year's MAC champs and is loaded again this year.

**LaTech is coming off a 7-4 season.

**Tulsa is coming of a 7-4 season and WAC champs.

The SBC should be another "dog fight" amongst the bottom tier lower 100 of D-1A.

IMHO,again, if UNT is able to beat just two OOC teams and come in 2nd in the SBC I would call it a successful year.

Along with the rest of you I DO NOT want another 0-5 OOC record this year.

Along with the rest of you UNT has the talent to win the SBC.

Along with the rest of you....it is the responsibility of the coaches to formulate winning game plans to be competitive "throughout" the game and to get away from the "philosophy" of: "I want to keep it close to the 4th quarter so we have a chance to win."

Silver Eagles statement of, "We didn't come here to lose" should be our mantra for this season....nothing less!!

EulessEagle, your post explains why this year could be real ugly. SMU good recruiting class, MAC champs, WAC Champs, National Champs..... If we could pull it off it would be a huge stepping stone for national notice. Reality is we have got to recruit better for several years to get back to the top of the Sunbelt, much less compete with these folks. Again, I hope I am wrong.

Well Flyonthewall--

you talk about recruiting.

DD was 13-31-1 and an OC at UTEP and SMU.

DD is 39-55 as HC at UNT.

DD has only been involved with 4 winning seasons as an OC and HC....what does that tell you about his recruiting and his "ability to recruit?"

IMHO, DD has reached the zeineth of his college coaching career. It is not going to get any better while he is here.

If he was selling insurance he would have to live off his wife's salary.

DD may be a great family man & good guy away from athletics but he can not sell this program, or his assistants, to High School prospects. Case in point, look at all the other "mid-major" programs that out recruit DD in his own backyard including NMSU & UTEP out in the middle of nowhere.

What do Mumme and Price tell their prospects??

1. lots of beautiful sunsets across the desert.

2. lots of rattlesnakes to hunt.

3. watch the border fences go up.

4. authetic mexican food.

5. only a 12 hour drive to LA or Dallas.

6. great rafting down the Rio Grande.

7. pick all the pecans you want from all the pecan farms in the valley.

8. hunt for Cortez's lost gold in the mountains .

9. go watch some missle firings at White Sands Missle Range.

10. you dont have to go the beach.....it is already here.

Well Flyonthewall--

you talk about recruiting.

What do Mumme and Price tell their prospects??

1.  lots of beautiful sunsets across the desert.

2.  lots of rattlesnakes to hunt.

3.  watch the border fences go up.

4.  authetic Mexican food.

5.  only a 12 hour drive to LA or Dallas.

6.  great rafting down the Rio Grande.

7.  pick all the pecans you want from all the pecan farms in the valley.

8.  hunt for Cortez's lost gold in the mountains .

9.  go watch some missle firings at White Sands Missle Range.

10.  you dont have to go the beach.....it is already here.

Once they make a visit, they will realize the rafting part is really bad... Have you seen the Rio Grand in El Paso? It is usually a great place to wade and not get your knees wet.

I guess you can add another #5: "If you are wanted by the law it is only a few miles across the border and to safety".

Is it that DD needs to do a better job of selling itself to recruits or the University as a whole has to do a better job of selling itself through its athletics department. There is no doubt that things are improving, but there are still some eye sores that have to be addressed on campus.

It has got to be incredibly difficult to recruit to Fouts Field. Many of the area high school kids probably play at nicer places on Friday nights than Fouts.

There is also the lack of a winning tradition compared to the bigger schools. Sure, alot of it may be perceived winning, but some programs have bigger names than others. There can't be any doubt that TCU and SMU are still held in higher regard because they used to play Texas and A&M in the SWC.

And look at TCU and SMU. TCU has had a recent streak of really nice success. And they continue to get better. SMU has a name that for whatever reason some people love, and they have a beautiful new stadium that I would dream for our school to have.

I think that we should be happy with our success over the past few years, and really use it as a stepping stone to go to the next level. Dickey should get another year or two to right the ship after last year. But it will take more than a great coach or coaching job on Dickey's part.

1) We need a stadium. 2) We need some of the local state champion or champion caliber programs to be a pipeline of new blood into our program. 3) We need respectable out of conference play and to dominate our schedule. 4) We need T-Shirt fans to help increase our marketing image. Having a new logo is great. Can we stick with it for a while and get some merchandise that will sell to students, former students, and prospective students, and hell, just regular people who might want to indentify themselves with a major university in the area.

As far as action on the field, the SMU game is a great place to start. Play Texas to a respectable outcome, and then come home and beat the tar out of SMU. Get another non-con win or two, and then dominate SB play. But the SMU games sets it all up.

It's a grudge game. It's not THE BIG game. Ultimately, the big game is UT. It'll be the biggest crowd for any UNT appearance game this season, bar none. The other OOC games (Tulsa, Akron, and LaTech) are all equally big games as I'm sure the general public will expect losses in each game.

I don't want 0-5 OOC.

It was me that originally started this thread and I still maintain this is the biggest game in our history.  I don't think we should have scheduled this game because if we win noone will care and if we lose it will set our program back a decade.

The long time supportive alumni have requested our leadership to get SMU back to Denton because of the incredible success the last time with attendance, interest within the metroplex and of course the win. We have asked RV to do this since the day he stepped foot on campus and he did just that. If we win it will make everyone in Green very happy and give us a bit of respect in DFW(which we currently have zero), if we lose it won't set us back 10 years, but will certainly make everyone sick for a few weeks.

It's a local and state rivalry. It's the biggest home game of the '06 season, period.

Rick

Edited by FirefightnRick

It was me that originally started this thread and I still maintain this is the biggest game in our history.  I don't think we should have scheduled this game because if we win noone will care and if we lose it will set our program back a decade.

The consensus it seems of many on this board indicates that the SMU game just might be DD's biggest game ever. Some posters are even basing whether he should have a future at UNT based on this one SMU game. I just don't buy into that "one game" theory because first of all, the SMU game is only our 2'nd game of the 2006 campaign which will still leave us with 10 to go on our football schedule.

As flyonthewall stated in one of his prior posts which I'd wager many (including myself) would agree and that is: Just who have we added to the upcoming team personnel-wise (with our 100-117 D1-A ranked recruiting class) who are going to make that much a difference with this team in 2006? That in light of the competition we have to play this Fall, too. Our DL last Fall may have been the most porous (or "poor us") one I can recall in my 30+ years of following all this (and granted, we did have those injuries starting as early as last summer, too).

Yet many who were injured last Fall have been penciled in by some on GMG.com as instant stars who will solve all our DL woes? Well, at most other D1-A outposts, they would still be considered unproven with "few or no minutes" in varsity play projects (as they should be).

And FWIW, everyone looks like an All American in Spring Football and even during Fall camp, but many of our 2006 opponents may have more in numbers who also look like All Americans (with some who will actually be AA's this Fall) which may be our main problem next season, ie, a shortage of talent compared to those we will play. Granted, we do have some Mean Green football players who (when healthy) could probably start for some Top 25 schools, but the injury bug-a-boo if it hits our team once again will probably be filled by those with very little D1-A experience or worse, maybe no D1-A experience at all.

Super Jamario Thomas even if healthy this Fall had a better supporting cast in his true freshmen year 2 seasons ago when he was simply phenomenal. For those of our opponents who may be pooh-poohing JT based on an injury season last season should be reminded that he ran for about 250 yards against the Big 12's Colorado Buffalos his true frosh' year. That Mean Green football team of 2004 was a much more seasoned veteran football team than the one we will have this Fall. That team had numerous All SBC talent on it with 2 or 3 NFL-type talents on it, too. 'Twould have been a good year to play SMU in 2004, eh?smile.gif Funny how most anytime we play SMU we are in a down-cycle with this football program. Would be more of a rivalry if both schools could play each other more than once every 15 or so years AND both teams playing good football, not just one.

So what about the 2006 MG football season? I don't think many will buy into another 1 & 5 or 1 & 6 start like we seem to have on an annual basis. At some point, this football program has to show improvement (a key OOC win or 2 for starters?) with successes well beyond the SBC level. Yet if we keep doing things the way we've kept doing them of late, it shouldn't surprise anyone to see that we keep getting the same results? That is, an SBC football championship (realistically, probably a pipe dream this Fall), play the 4'th team CUSA team in a bowl game and get beat by the 4'th place CUSA team in a bowl game might be considered by many as our getting the same results.

Edited by PlummMeanGreen

A home and home with SMU, TCU, RICE, BAYLOR would really help this program. If who sold 30,000 tickets at Fouts twice a year, then we would not need to play the big money game against Texas to fund our Football budget. The SMU at the very least needs to be competitive. If we are not competitive then who cares about showing up for the next game. In this regard, it is a very important game to set the stage for future attendance and support for the rest of the season. This is not however the most important game in the history of the program.

If we lose, the smuNT conspiracy will continue as dark clouds will block the sun, there will be riots, people burned at the stake. Then LJ will declare martial law and bring the fourth reich to Denton...

oh, it will be a dark day the day we lose to smu!