From NBC 5 News

Woman Wakes Up To Stranger In Bedroom

Victim Says Man Was Touching Her Leg, Taking Pictures

POSTED: 8:39 am CDT May 16, 2006

UPDATED: 8:53 am CDT May 16, 2006

DENTON, Texas -- A Denton woman said she woke up in the middle of the night to find a stranger in her bedroom. The 20-year-old victim told police that she woke up at about 3 a.m. Saturday to find a man touching her leg and taking pictures of her. The incident took place at The Ridge At North Texas apartments on Colorado Boulevard. Many of the residents in the apartment complex are college students at the University of North Texas and said the security gates at the complex have been broken for a long time. "I'm a very scared person about making sure people aren't walking behind me and stuff like that. I live on the third floor and I don't even leave my windows open," said resident Lindsey Dean. Management at the complex has advised residents to always be sure to lock their front and patio doors. The intruder has not been arrested.

Woman Wakes Up To Stranger In Bedroom

Victim Says Man Was Touching Her Leg, Taking Pictures

POSTED: 8:39 am CDT May 16, 2006

UPDATED: 8:53 am CDT May 16, 2006

DENTON, Texas -- A Denton woman said she woke up in the middle of the night to find a stranger in her bedroom. The 20-year-old victim told police that she woke up at about 3 a.m. Saturday to find a man touching her leg and taking pictures of her. The incident took place at The Ridge At North Texas apartments on Colorado Boulevard. Many of the residents in the apartment complex are college students at the University of North Texas and said the security gates at the complex have been broken for a long time. "I'm a very scared person about making sure people aren't walking behind me and stuff like that. I live on the third floor and I don't even leave my windows open," said resident Lindsey Dean. Management at the complex has advised residents to always be sure to lock their front and patio doors. The intruder has not been arrested.

Really sad, the name changed and the problems remain. You would think the management would have said the gate will be fixed ASAP.

this has happened several times. this exact same thing happened in the apartments where a girlfriend at the time lived close to campus-- same building as she on the first floor. and that was like 3+ years ago. Although the guy was "enjoying himself" as well

I heard about it again at other complexes in Denton. I figure somebody ought to catch this guy at some point

I dont think you can sue for ammenities, but Im not sure about that

Edited by Eagle1855

Sounds like a very hefty lawsuit should something happen to any of the residents.  Most of the time the security gate is one of the guaranteed imminities (either spelled out or implied) in the lease agreement.

Because it could be a hefty lawsuit, it's doubtful that a security gate guarantee would be mentioned in the lease agreement.

I don't know about suing over the security gate malfunction, but I would suspect it's grounds for breaking your lease without penalty. Give the landlord notice and ten days to cure, then look for another place in case you want to follow through. Maybe some attorney in Denton would do a little pro bono sabre rattling for the residents.

If the guy can't score legitimately in Denton, he must be really messed up.

Not sure if its still the same but back when the Ridge was Jefferson Commons it said in the lease that the security gates were just there. There was no real or implied liablility to be placed on the property for their function. As far as I remember, those gates have always been open. I can't remember when they were ever functional.

Two things to help ease the mind with this problem.

1.THIS

And

2. THIS

The first of which eliminates the problem usually before it becomes a problem, but takes a bit more effort to achieve the outcome. The second one is less expensive in the long run but certainly eliminates the problem with quicker results.

Protect yourself. No one else is going to do it for you.

Rick

Edited by FirefightnRick

Two things to help ease the mind with this problem.

1.THIS

And

2. THIS

The first of which eliminates the problem usually before it becomes a problem, but takes a bit more effort to achieve the outcome.  The second one is less expensive in the long run but certainly eliminates the problem with quicker results.

Protect yourself.  No one else is going to do it for you.

Rick

Rick that was a Real Texan Answer to that girl's problem..... cool.gif

Acutally, you don't need a CHL for home protection in Texas. You can open carry on your own property. (imagine some guy mowing his yard with a Desert Eagle strapped to his side) Of couse living in an apartment, I don't think that you would have rights in the common areas (ie. anywhere but inside your dwelling).

The CHL is good in that it allows you to protect yourself by carring a firearm away from home. Though on a college campus having a CHL is pretty much useless since the law does not allow you to carry into any college building or sporting event.

Of couse anyone who lives in apartments, I highly recommend a smaller caliber handgun and specialized bullets that are made to not go through drywall. They are bb and resin filled hollow points with less powerful gunpowder. Reports say that about 80-90% of shots usually miss the target, you want to decrease your chance of hitting an innocent bystander. (again, imagine missing with a Desert Eagle - bullet would probably fly through 3 or 4 walls before it stops!)

Burl

Micro, there's another type that's supposed to have a low rate of exit penetration...softer material that lodges itself in the target and doesn't exit. It's not any of the JHP/JSP types, either.

For home/personal defense, something like a USP/C, P99 or S&W99 would be fine in a .40SW caliber. You never know what someone is tripping on when they attack you, and I'd prefer not to trust my life to a 9mm cartridge.

Micro, there's another type that's supposed to have a low rate of exit penetration...softer material that lodges itself in the target and doesn't exit. It's not any of the JHP/JSP types, either.

For home/personal defense, something like a USP/C, P99 or S&W99 would be fine in a .40SW caliber. You never know what someone is tripping on when they attack you, and I'd prefer not to trust my life to a 9mm cartridge.

The point about the CHL mentioning is that, if anything you learn how to use your weapon of choice as well as proper safety and handling techniques, loading, fireing and cleaning your weapon, not to mention if and when you should/can use deadly force to protect you self and your property. The class taught from a well trained police or military officer is well worth the effort and money.

As for caliber, I carry Hydrashock .45's. Why? In 11 years at my job, I have about 4 times now worked on someone who had several 9mm holes in them as they sat up and described to the police what had happened to them.

Rick

The point about the CHL mentioning is that, if anything you learn how to use your weapon of choice as well as proper safety and handling techniques, loading, fireing and cleaning your weapon, not to mention if and when you should/can use deadly force to protect you self and  your property.  The class taught from a well trained police or military officer is well worth the effort and money. 

As for caliber, I carry Hydrashock .45's.  Why?  In 11 years at my job, I have about 4 times now worked on someone who had several 9mm holes in them as they sat up and described to the police what had happened to them. 

Rick

Most CHL courses do not teach people how to shoot. They go over basic shooting techiques, teach the laws that are a CHL needs to know, and have a (VERY) basic shooting test. The classes assume that the person taking the class knows the basics.

If someone wants to protect themselves and have never picked up a pistol, they really should go to either a gun shop, gun range, or TSRA or NRA website to find classes that will teach proper safety and handling techniques, loading, fireing and cleaning your weapon, as well as what to do when you have a misfire or jam. Many times these classes will have a one on one firing range sessions where someone will assist the shooter with proper stance, holding, and firing - this is something that the CHL class is not required to do.

I like Hydrashocks and Gold Dot for carrying. My home defense is less potent for fear of over penetration or missing the target.

As for carrying, I usually carry my KelTec 380. It is small enough to fit in a pocket so I am more likely to carry it vs my 9mm Springfield which required a IWB holster. Pistol is only good if you have it on you. As for stopping power, your right, there have been people hit by .380 and 9mm and not known it. But on the flip side, many people have had harder time with multi shots from the higher caliber due to excessive recoil. I'll take accuracy over power.

Most CHL courses do not teach people how to shoot.  They go over basic shooting techiques, teach the laws that are a CHL needs to know, and have a (VERY) basic shooting test.  The classes assume that the person taking the class knows the basics.

If someone wants to protect themselves and have never picked up a pistol, they really should go to either a gun shop, gun range, or TSRA or NRA website to find classes that will teach proper safety and handling techniques, loading, fireing and cleaning your weapon, as well as what to do when you have a misfire or jam.  Many times these classes will have a one on one firing range sessions where someone will assist the shooter with proper stance, holding, and firing - this is something that the CHL class is not required to do.

Your right, someone new should also take a safety course. I've had mine for 10 years now and every recert I've taken has included it all. If they don't, they should even though it's not required because there's always someone in class that doesn't know, but wants to learn and the instructors want them to know, and for good reason. I suggest for anyone interested as a first time CHL to try On-Target indoor range in Benbrook for classes.

Rick

Edited by FirefightnRick