Jeremy Mayfield

ADLER

Jeremy Mayfield, rated one of the nation's top prep power forwards, was granted his release from the University of Oklahoma.

Mayfield signed with OU in November, but asked for his release after Coach Kelvin Sampson went to Indiana. As a senior at Irving (Texas) MacArthur High School, the 6-foot-10, 234-pounder averaged 10 points and nine rebounds.

He was recruited by North Texas and Nevada during his senior season ('04-'05) and signed an early letter of intent with Nevada.

Mayfield didn't enroll at Nevada and attended Gulf Shores Prep School in Houston this past season. He was recruited by Oklahoma and signed with the Sooners during the early signing period.

North Texas would be a great fit for Mayfield. He would bolster a "need" position on what is beginning to look like a very promising roster, and the proximity to his home is excellent. His friends and family from Irving would be able to make it to all of his home games.

I'm not certain, but I think he would be immediately eligible. He would possibly have to get clearance from the NCAA, but with OU's recently announced probation, I doubt that would be an issue.

He should be able to sign with any school during the late signing period.

Edited by ADLER

I'm not certain, but I think he would be immediately eligible.  He would possibly have to get clearance from the NCAA, but with OU's recently announced probation, I doubt that would be an issue.

He should be able to sign with any school during the late signing period.

From what I can find on him He averaged 10 pts and 9 rebounds at Irving MacArthur, then went to post graduate Houston TX Gulf Shore Academy from which he was recruited by OU. He was ranked by Rivals as the # 69 player in the nation, a 4 * ranking, the # 4 ranked post graduate prospect.

I don't know if Gulf Shore is a JC or what but some NBA teams have send their HS recruits there. Never saw Nevada listed, ...initially he listed Miama Fla, OU, S.Florida, UT and A&M but Rivals showed him signed with OU. As noted, he is one of 3 nationally known OU recruits that were granted releases when Sampson left.

Would be a HUGE sign if NT was able to get him.

OldTimer, you may not believe me, but you probably should believe this guy.

YOU should be able to trust this guy.

Or read then the bottom of This One by the same author.

Jeremy Mayfield

Position:

F, C

Height / Weight:

6'10" , 235

Rankings:

Hodge 100

Prospect

Signing School:

Honors:

Home:

Irving, TX

Adler: copied from CSTV Recruiting Player Profile...try google search for other articles on a Jeremy Fleming at Gulf Shores Academy in Houston

High/Prep School/J.C.:

MacArthur/Houston-Gulf Shores Academy, Tex

Region:

Southwest

Other Sports:

Comments: Gained release from signed letter to Okla following coaching change. Mia-Fla, Okla, SoFla, Tex, A&M. Signed with Nevada in Class 2005, but opted for prep school. Ave 18 pts and 10 rebs during 2004-05.

Gulf Shores Academy Roster

Story Search:

All stories on Jeremy Mayfield

Media Center:

No Matches This Player.

Ht: 6-9.5 Wt: 225

Position: PF

Birthplace: Irving, TX

Year: Class of 2006

AAU Team: Team Fort Worth

High School: Gulf Shores Academy

(Houston, TX)

2006 Scout.com HS Basketball Rankings (full list):

Pos: PF Pos Rank: #38 Pos Rating:

Biography:

Scouting Like many high schoolers, Mayfield will need to add considerable weight and strength to be effective on the next level, as well as continued work on his fundamentals, but he already possesses a solid mid range J, and good athleticism. Prefers facing the basket to playing inside.

SR Attended the NBA Camp. Switched AAU teams and finally settled in with Ft. Worth Stars.

Edited by OldTimer

Does NT need anymore big men? Currently have Williams 6'8 jr, Howerton 6'10 so, Woodson 6'9 jr. Stewart 6'8 so and add 6'10 Muse and 6'8 Jackson both jrs. This is a team with only one ship point guard. Also Nt does not have another ship to offer for next year unless someone else leaves.

Does NT need anymore big men?  Currently have Williams 6'8 jr,  Howerton 6'10 so, Woodson 6'9 jr. Stewart 6'8 so and add 6'10 Muse and 6'8 Jackson both jrs.  This is a team with only one ship point guard.  Also Nt does not have another ship to offer for next year unless someone else leaves.

As far as not needing anymore big men, you may have a point. I am not sold on any of those you mention however. Some show flashes, then regress. For ships, I remember that we were oversigned by 1 ship after last years recruiting season. Sturns gone made us even and the loss of Lionel Brown gave us one to give.

Ben Bell is coming in to take PG duties. Mayfield sounds like a great acquisition, but man GrandGreen is right, we are thin at point guard.

Did not the one ship to give go to Flemings?  I thought it was interesting that Brown decided to leave at the same time Flemings picked the Green.

Yeah, you are right, I wasn't thinking. Not sure if there are transfer year exemptions or anything.

Grandgreen, you have several valid points.

We've lost 5 scholarship players from last season; Barnett, Brown, Hines, Simpson, and Sturns, and we've signed 5 for next year; Muse, Jackson, Mangrum, Bell, and Flemings.

And I too concede that we are precariously thin at the point.

But.....it's awfully difficult to justify not recruiting a potentially impact power forward from our area, especially when there are so many questions concerning the health and durability of one of our signees from Mineral Area JC.

Also, does Mangrum have the speed and ball handling skills to play point guard? I have never read anything that suggests that he doesn't, and although he was a proficient scorer, he averaged nearly 5 assists in high school. It would be great to have a point guard that was deadly from the arc.

We need a point guard, heck anyone, that can make his free throws.

That is the achilles heel of this team. It should be mandatory for a player to make 75 of 100 free throws before he is allowed to practice and not run all the time. It should also be mandatory to make 70 of 100 free throws during a practice to maintain playing time.

Will Fleming count against this years scholarship limit since he has to sit out the transfer year?  If not, then we have two to give.

13 basketball ships is the NCAA limit. Unless someone else leaves or NT does not renew a ship, NT is at the limit for next year:

Srs: Watson, Young, Davis

Jrs: Woodson, Williams

So: Edwards, Stewart, Howerton

Newcomers: Muse, Jackson, Bell, Mangrum, Flemings

Let's face facts. Since Bill Blakely left there has been very little to actually get excited about when it comes to North Texas basketball, and that was several years before any of our current players were even born.

There have been memorable moments and memorable players, but no outstanding seasons, and very few impressive victories.

Finally, and I'm keeping my fingers crossed on this, Johnny has amassed several top tier recruits, even if many of them had to transition through elite programs before transferring. (I'm defining elite here only as teams that are expected to annualy make the NCAA tournament) Flemings, Davis, and Wooden were all prized recruits when they signed with Oklahoma State, Arkansas, and Arizona State respectively.

Add to those the solid North Texas players that were signed out of high school because the Mean Green were victorious in recruiting battles and you can see that Johnny and his staff have slowly compiled the most talented roster that North Texas has had in over a generation.

Now it's up to Johnny and those same players to see what they can accomplish with that talent. Can they unify as a team and reach their combined potential?

Guest e-bone

Uh, yeah that's the problem. ph34r.gif

You're a fool if you don't think that poor support for sports other than football isn't a factor in why no other conferences want us.