Interesting Article on Rice

Harry

http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/sports/3808940.html

Graham puts his mark on Rice Stadium by championing some wholesale renovations

By MOISEKAPENDA BOWER

Copyright 2006 Houston Chronicle

The vision Todd Graham shared for the future of Rice football upon his Jan. 1 hiring entailed far more than how the Owls would perform on the field. The image included how Rice football would appear to the naked eye, from historic Rice Stadium to the ancillary facilities that play a significant role in the daily operations of the program.

So after pledging to reform the culture of Rice football during his introduction as head coach, Graham immediately began to lay the foundation for those changes. Earlier this week, Graham revealed the details behind the first set of sweeping modifications, many of which will provide an overdue face-lift for venerable, yet antiquated, Rice Stadium.

"There is indeed a transformation going on in Rice football, no question about it," said retiring Rice athletic director Bobby May.

Drumming up funds

On the heels of creating a fundraising group called the Extra Point Club, Graham and his staff accumulated monetary donations totaling nearly $3 million. Those funds will be dispersed for the installation of a new playing surface, a grandiose scoreboard above the north concourse of the stadium and numerous other changes, both obvious and subtle.

The $1.1 million FieldTurf, similar to what the Texans have in their practice bubble, will replace the outdated AstroTurf installed nine years ago. Crews began removal of the old surface this week.

The $1.48 million Daktronics scoreboard, 62 feet tall with a 38-by-20-foot video screen, will be enclosed in brick to mimic architecture found throughout the campus.

"What's key is to make money and to get people in the stands, you have to have a venue that's attractive for people to come and want to be at," Graham said. "The improvements that we needed to make, we go out and get it done. We don't take 'no' for an answer.

"It wasn't hard to figure out what needed to be done. The hard part was working for it."

Rice has entered into an equipment agreement with Adidas, which will outfit the Owls. There have been significant technological upgrades throughout the football offices, renovations to the locker rooms and $100,000 worth of equipment additions to the John L. Cox Center. On-field teaching aids totaling $25,000 were also acquired.

What Graham called his "No. 1 priority" was adding a summer school program that should improve the Owls' impressive graduation rate and facilitate year-round training.

Not done yet

According to Graham, more changes are on tap. He plans to permanently remove the wooden bleachers in both end zones and replace the bleachers between the goal lines with seats to reduce stadium capacity to 50,000 at an estimated cost of $750,000.

Graham also wants to see construction of an academic center and an all-athletic training facility, and while those are lofty goals, he has been buoyed by the strides made thus far.

"It's been amazing the type of passion that people have had," Graham said. "A lot of people that have been gone that are coming back, we've shared our vision, our idea of what we think this program can be. People will be truly amazed at what they see when they come to a Rice football game next year, not only by what they see visually, but what they see as far as a product on the field. I really believe we'll be competitive next year."

mk.bower@chron.com

I went to Robertson Stadium on the U of H campus on Saturday.  It is a nice stadium...It's amazing what dropping the field and adding another smaller section close to the action does to the apprearance...I really like that place.

did you go for a Dynamo game? Ive been wanting to check one out!

I also like that stadium now that they have re-done it.

I have always wondered why don't we rennovate Fouts like Robertson.  They are very similar stadiums and it would be a lot cheaper.

The idea of lowering the field, removing the track and adding more rows of seats has been suggested. But, I think there was some kind of engineering problem that caused the idea to be rejected. I can’t remember the details right now, but it has been discussed by more than just those on this board.

The idea of lowering the field, removing the track and adding more rows of seats has been suggested. But, I think there was some kind of engineering problem that caused the idea to be rejected. I can’t remember the details right now, but it has been discussed by more than just those on this board.

Supposedly, you can't dig down very far because of the water table. And that (supposedly) prevents the field from being lowered.

It was also reported that TXDOT will be taking some of the property on the west side of Fouts (the whole parking lot) for I-35 expansion within the next 10 years. I'm not sure, but I think that that would render Fouts pretty useless as a stadium.

Someone on the board mentioned that eventually TXDOT will end up using part of the land where Fouts is located to expand I-35. If this actually happens, it will probably take place in about 10 to 15 years, I would guess.

"We just did a deal with Adidas," he revealed. "Our kids are going to have all new uniforms with a brand new look; we’re getting six figures worth of free apparel – and they’re even going to make an additional cash gift. I guess that will make them members of the Extra Point Club, too."

"Adidas actually won a bidding war over Nike for the right to become the Owls’ uniform supplier, it turns out."

http://www.ricefootball.net/06spring1.htm#pat

Does this make anyone else slightly jealous...of Rice?

Edited by PerryG2480