NT beats ULL 86-79

Coach

It was a good game. Michael Southall is an absolute force down low. That guy blocked shots all night. I feel bad to say this but...........he really ate Simpsons lunch early on. After 2 fouls in the 1st, Southall sat the remainder half. The 2nd half we threw different big men at him and did the best we could.

That was one of the worst officiating jobs I have seen in a long long time. BOTH ways. Some would say that it all evens out since it is bad both ways, but I say it shouldn't have to. It should even out by there being good officiating for 40 minutes.

Kendrick Davis played a great game tonight. Most of the team started out the game with an incredibly hot hand from behind the arc. Early on we had 16 points coming off of 5 3-pointers and a free throw. Defensivly we still have a lot of work to do. No doubt we can create turnovers though.

After the game, the players made a half circle around the court and gave some love to those that supported them over the night. A very classy move.

Basketball at The Pit is more fun than it has been in a long long time.

He primarily played Simpson straight up on him, with double team help coming from a smaller guard. This led to a few strips when he brought the ball down low.

Also seen was a 2-3 zone that I thought was fairly effective overall, but a guy like Southall you just can't shut down all night.

Also of note...............I saw on of the best ally oop dunks I have seen in awhile tonight. Too bad it wasn't the guys in green.

Zeke you should have been at their place a few years ago if you want to see a good ally-oop. Their guy grabs it about half way between the three line and half-court line on our side and deep snaps it (yes between his legs) to one of his team mates on the other side of the court for an ally oop. That was the single most impressive play I have ever seen and I dont expect to see anything like it again in my life time.

I think we ended up loosing by 25 or so.

UNTSportsGuy, what happened at the end was that Calvin decided to dunk as time ran out and one of their guys too offense to it (can't remember his name) and caught the ball after Calvin dunked and threw the ball at him. Then they both started jawing at eachother, Sturns started to get in it and Barnett stepping in and tried to break it up from what I saw. Oh and the ULL players started cursing at the fans. Real classy dry.gif

BTW, dont know if any of yall were close to ULL locker room but I could hear the coach screaming at the team, and I was in the stands! I havent heard some of those words ohmy.gif

I think a lot of that was karma coming back to bite ULL back in the butt. They dunked on us all night (too bad style points don't count, right?) and when we made that final steal, they weren't happy we tried to dunk on them. They gave up in the final seconds of the game too. ohmy.gif

I hope we can walk into the Cajun Dome on 02-02 and do like we did to them tonight. With as weak as their bench looked to be (2 points compared to 31 from ours), we should have been driving to the basket every single time cause we could have fouled out every single one of their starters. It also seemed like they couldn't keep up with our faster offense cause we could bring in the reserves and not lose a step.

This is by far the most athletic NT team of JJs tenure and possibly the most athletic NT team of all time (not necessarily saying the best, yet, but definately the most athletic). They overcame a Triple-Double from Southall (he should get a shot at the NBA) and some very good play from their guards. We got creamed in assists and blocks tonight and that is a first for both this season at home. We may have gotten beat in one of those catagories earlier this year, but never a good old fashioned wood shed whoopin' like tonight. Southall had 11 of I think their nearly 20 blocks tonight and they weren't just against guys like Hines and Davis, but Simpson and Williams also. I don't know what year he is, but they could potentially have some very good teams. Enough about UL, If the team that played tonight had played UNCW or ASU they would not have lost. They have improved tremendously since the first few games of the year and Sturns is going to be a great player. I had my doubts after last year, but he is really starting to come into his own and settle into JJs system.

Atleast this game was a good warmup for when we face Yemi later this year...

Then they both started jawing at eachother, Sturns started to get in it and Barnett stepping in and tried to break it up from what I saw.  dry.gif

Explosive is a term often used to describe a BB player with a quick first step and above average jumping ability. Explosive defines Michael Sturns as a player and also some of his personality traits as well.